Woz Wishes His iPhone Did All The Things His Android Does; Stuns World+Dog

If there's one fact that's emerged after Steve Jobs' death this fall, it's that the man hated Android. Really hated. As in, declared thermonuclear war on it and dedicated himself (and Apple's bank account) to wiping it from existence. In light of Steve's Khan-like level of loathing for Google's operating system, it's a wee bit surprising to hear the "other" Steve sing its praises.

“My primary phone is the iPhone,” Woz said. “I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do."

According to Woz, the iPhone is a better option for anyone who's plugged into the Mac ecosystem or suffers from a fear of computers, but Android wins out in terms of the total number of options and capabilities. Even more surprising is Woz's opinion of Siri. Apple's voice technology is generally seen as an area where the Cupertino-based company has a clear lead over any Android competitor, but Wozniak sees the situation differently. According to him, Siri was a better application before Apple bought the company in 2010.

“I used to ask Siri, ‘What are the five biggest lakes in California?’ and it would come back with the answer. Now it just misses. It gives me real estate listings. I used to ask, ‘What are the prime numbers greater than 87?’ and it would answer. Now instead of getting prime numbers, I get listings for prime rib, or prime real estate,” Woz says.

“With the iPhone 4 I could press a button and call my wife. Now on the 4S I can only do that when Siri can connect over the Internet. But many times it can’t connect. I’ve never had Android come back and say, ‘I can’t connect over the Internet.'"

Other tidbits from The Daily Beast's interview reveal that the Apple co-founder has had trouble with battery life since moving to the iPhone 4S. Ultimately, Woz still believes that the iPhone 4 is the best choice for most users -- he describes it as "the least frightening thing," -- but he views Android as a much more serious competitor for Apple than Windows ever was, at least as far as design strength and capabilities are concerned.

Google has major plans for the first half of 2012; we'll see a bumper crop of new phones rolling out on Ice Cream Sandwich, ICS updates, and new tablets and smartphones with 28nm hardware shipping by the end of the first half. The Apple rumor mill, meanwhile, continues cranking, with whispers of an iPad 3 dropping in March.

Intel's Medfield also launched last week with design wins from Motorola and Lenovo. We expect to hear more about the new x86 smartphone platform at Mobile World Congress at the end of February.
Comments
OMEGADraco 2 years ago

Now that is amazing... GO Woz for being honest and painting the iOS and Android platforms for what they are.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

Thats why I got android hahahahhaha :) i will like to see those company together an iphone using android OS O_O

CDeeter 2 years ago

Wow I never thought I'd hear something like that from him.

MayhemMatthew 2 years ago

@CDeeter: I don't think you know Woz that well then. He is open to admitting when something else is better. Most people aren't. It's one of the things that makes him smarter than Jobs, a lot smarter.

DDeveaux 2 years ago

Same here, given he's usually very vocal about Apple products.

rapid1 2 years ago

I agree, and am in an interesting place right now to judge this. Ok my brother was first with a smart phone he is a musician and has been an Apple faithful for quite a while. Yes he knows PC's not as well as me but he can use them. With a musician or artist in general there is a lot of stuff seemingly Apple does easier.

I have an Android which I got so I could accept credit cards mainly but which I also love for everything it does.

Now all of the other contracts in the immediate family (Mom, Sarah, and Amber) are at renewal. They all want smart phones and are asking me what they should get. The iPhone or the Windows phone are probably going to be simpler for them (well Sarah and Mom anyway) Amber can do either I have no doubt. The iPhone inherently I see as a junior smart phone, Windows phone will have similarities, and I have also heard on various forums especially from female users that it is easy to use, and while Android can be as well it has a lot more in the background.

Yes to me Android has all the capabilities to do whatever I want it to. For a general user especially one who won't be so technically knowledgeable or into it I am thinking one of the other two would be easier for them.

Either way I can definitely see where WOZ is coming from. The iPhone 4 is actually very attractive were it not less solid in form physically (strength wise). My sister in law also had one before and broke it by dropping it a couple of feet, and my brother had the antennae issue, but they seemingly fixed that.

As I said I love my android (sensation) yes it is rooted and I have 4 OS's on it right now. The first is a saved stock ROM, I also have Cyanogen 7.1 (which has radio issues with Wireless N), LeeDroid, and Revolution which is what I generally use. Mom and Sarah and Amber won't do what I do though!