Wired's Vaporware 2008 Awards

Wired has posted their list of annual Vaporware awards, and you'll never guess what tops the list yet again this year. Yes, you guessed it--Duke Nukem Forever. The 12-year (and counting) development cycle and subsequent leaks of screenshots, game footage, and what have you of DNF, has got to be one of the longest running jokes in the industry...this game can't possibly still be in development...

"After some twelve (12!) years in development, we had given up all hope of ever seeing Duke Nukem Forever hit the shelves. We even held a high-level meeting in the Wired newsroom where we agreed to end the agony and, some vague promises to the press about a 2008 release notwithstanding, leave Duke off the Vaporware list this year. Even the best jokes get old eventually.

Says reader Dennis Murphy: "My nominations for DNF got printed in 2001 & 2002. Here we are, 7 years later, and it's still on the list. How about one more chance? If we don't see it by 2010, I promise I'll stop submitting! (Well, at least till my grandkids are born ...)"

But then, in May, Jace Hall of Crackle.com scored an on-camera interview with the Dukefathers, George Broussard and Scott Miller of 3-D Realms. At the end of their sit-down, the DNF developers even let him demo an actual, working version of the game.

The resulting hand-held footage of the first-person shooter was all the proof we needed — the game is still inching towards reality. So congrats, Duke. You're the King of Vaporware once again."

Thankfully there a bunch of other products to check out, which are much more interesting. Although I think one of them is fairly close to being released based on some screenshots we posted the other day. Wait a minute--not more screenshots. Maybe Garmin is taking a page from the 3DRealms playbook?

Comments
bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

Man I'm going to buy that game no matter how bad it is. Now what am I going to do with this spare $50 I'm never going to spend.

Kiristo 5 years ago

It wouldn't be as good of a joke if so many people didn't want it so much. Duke Nukem 3d was pretty kickass during it's time. I could definately stand to play another shooter where you just run around and kickass, blasting aliens to hell. Sometimes, you run out of gum and don't need innovation to have fun in a shooter.

marco c 5 years ago

If you want to have some fun running around and blasting everything in sight, DEFINITELY check out Left 4 Dead--so fun.

I honestly beleive 3DRealms is just seeing how long they can keep the joke running and there are no plans to actually release DNF.

tanka12345 5 years ago

Its a little sad, really. Some people actually want to buy/play Duke Nukem Forever. Tongue Tied

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

Man I'm going to buy that game

[quote user="tanka12345"]

Confused That hurts man.

[quote user="Marco C"]

Left 4 dead is awesome. Didn't know you played Marco.

tanka12345 5 years ago

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

Man I'm going to buy that game

[quote user="tanka12345"]

Confused That hurts man.

I didn't mean my comment about you. I meant that its sad that they haven't released the game yet, and that some people (including me), want to play/buy the game.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

I was just kidding. No worries tanka. Congrats on the win also!

tanka12345 5 years ago

Thanks. (Can't use it though, but I know it'll beat my current graphics by 999999999999999999%) Wink

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="tanka12345"]

is your cpu socket 775?

^Bad_Boy^ 5 years ago

I'm keeping my Hopes Up!! I think it will be out before 2011 :D..

Go Duke.. Kick Some Alien Ass! (Give a couple of bucks for some Stripper "Flashing" :D)

Lev_Astov 5 years ago

I desperately long for this game to come out. Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem 3D pretty much defined my childhood. Like Bob, I'd spend whatever it takes to get this game, no matter how bad it is. I suspect that if they're actually working on it, it'll be the best game of the year when it comes out, though.