Windows Phone Will Be More Popular Than iOS By 2015

It seems that there are a lot of people who aren't taking Microsoft very seriously when it comes to competing in the smartphone marketplace. However, various well-known analyst firms, including IDC, Gartner, and iSuppli, believe Windows Phone could actually overtake iOS and become the second most popular smartphone platform by 2015. The head of marketing for Windows Phone, Achim Berg, believes this prediction is conservative.

In September, research from Gartner and IDC suggested that Windows Phone (Mango) could grab as much as 20 percent of the market share by 2015. iSuppli's most recent predictions suggest that Windows Phone will hold about 16.7 percent of the market share by 2015. This same year, iSuppli expects Apple's market share to drop from 18 percent to 16.6 percent. As you can see from these predictions, however, Windows Phone is only besting iOS by a small margin. Even so, gaining a strong foothold in the market and stealing some share from Apple is certainly something to comment about, especially when you consider Windows Phone's market share in 2011 was less than 2 percent.

Given the partnership between Nokia and Microsoft, the companies have the necessary resources to use in promoting and developing the Windows Phone platform. Unveiled at CES this year, Nokia's Lumia 900 smartphone is expected to be one of the best Windows Phone devices yet. This phone will feature a 1.4 GHz processor, 4G LTE connectivity, 4.3-inch AMOLED touchscreen, 8MP camera, and a battery life of up to 7 hours of talk time.

While iSuppli believes Microsoft and Apple will be duking it out for market share, the firm doesn't believe Android's market share will be greatly impacted. In fact, iSuppli believes Android will grow from 47.4 percent of market share to 58.1 percent in 2015.

Via:  iSuppli
Comments
RTietjens 2 years ago

Yeah. And pigs will be piloting supersonic fighters.

I hate Apple and all it stands for, but even I know that Windows phones are not going to pose any threat to the iPhone. The lemmings will continue to worship their dead god, Jobs.

scottiedigital 2 years ago

The declining iOS market share % would be the result of the market growing faster than the # of Apple Users. Apple fans would not need to switch to WinMo for this prediction to come true.

sackyhack 2 years ago

I don't know, my friend is an even bigger techie than me and he loves his new Windows phone. From what I saw of it, I thought it looked pretty slick too.

CDeeter 2 years ago

Seems doable, 16% isn't that much, though I'm sure the Windows gang would love to hit that number as soon as possible.

AKwyn 2 years ago

It's realistic; I mean with Nokia on their side it'll certainly help out the Windows cause; but in terms of the iOS crowd, that still has a respectable amount of numbers and more may even join should Apple renovate it's iPhone lineup in a radical and new way.

I personally thin that Windows Phone will gain a respectable percentage of users but it won't go toe to toe with iOS.

rapid1 2 years ago

Guess what I got in the mail today! A Windows phone for Sarah. I figured it would be easier for her to use! The phone seems great, even operationally, but guess what, no windows phone does WIFI calling. Yes you could skype etc, and yes it could connect to the internet over my wireless network, but it cannot make calls over WIFI period. So it will be going back home as soon as I get the Samsung I ordered for her, oh and my mother got one as well, it will also be going back on Monday and being replaced with a Samsung Android phone. Stupidity like this is what has killed Windows phone up until now and what will continue to kill it if it keeps being implemented as a valid design choice. Oh and it is a top of the line just released Nokia as well. The phone seems great the decisions seem ridiculously stupid, I was even thinking about maybe switching to one if I liked it, so basically Windows phone lost 3 users in my and my families houses today!

cowboyspace 2 years ago

That's just crazy windows phone is going to kill iOS lol ...i don't care if windows phones will be more popular than ios . android is in 1ST place and will hold it :)

AKnudson 2 years ago

ther is on way android will grow, windows and apple will duke it out but apple will take the prize, expect android to lose some ground to microsoft and apple this year.

AKnudson 2 years ago

**there is no way**

OSunday 2 years ago

Ridiculous...

MayhemMatthew 2 years ago

I actually think android will drop while windows will rise, especially once windows tablets come out.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

Why don't you say windows users will move to android :p

JDiaz 2 years ago

Why would anyone want to limit themselves to a mobile OS if they can have access to a desktop OS that's optimized for use on the same device?

Android has improved a lot since it first came out but it's still a mobile OS by design and that means it has design limits that are not easy for it to overcome.

While Android may still have a strong reason to be used for phones and even tablets for basic usage, however mind with Windows 8 that they could leverage a more seamless experience with WIndows Phone OS, especially since Windows 8 will support Windows Phone OS apps and they may just integrate the two.

Though nothing should stop Android users from using both anyway, especially with Android support on x86 as well as ARM hardware.

As for overtaking iOS, it too is a mobile OS and limited by design. Though there is the possibility they could integrate it with OSX and provide similar leverage as MS is going to provide with Windows 8. So we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

@ JDiaz  well, as you say its mobile OS, What happen if you don't  have a desktop  or don't have time. You have to use your  a smartphone/Tablet instead O_O its not that  we want to limit ourselves.I Won't be carry my desktop everywhere, tablet/smartphone is the choice. Necessity  is what makes us be better.

JDiaz 2 years ago

The point is with Windows 8 and the increasing range of options means you don't have to limit yourself to a mobile OS anymore.

While Windows 8 also promises to provide a desktop OS that's easier to use on a mobile device. So previous lack of optimization should be less of a factor and that reduces the reasons why you would use a mobile OS unless you just want to save power on your device or want to do something you may not be able to do on the desktop OS but with Windows 8 fully supporting Windows Phone apps means and even supporting some Android apps means ever decreasing reasons for people to limit themselves anymore.

Really, aside from perhaps Smart Phones there's lots of things a desktop OS optimized for Mobile devices can be used for and provide more functionality than a mobile OS is designed for.

Even for just web browsing a desktop OS web browser is still noticeably better than any mobile browser. So tablets, etc will definitely benefit from offering a desktop OS solution.

LLeCompte 2 years ago

WP7 needs apps, its getting there but slowly. It might not be more popular, but it may be more than what it is today.

SharingHumor 2 years ago

No chance... if Apple needs I'm sure they can find a new way to beat out windows phones. They have all the money coming in now so if they use that correctly they should be able to maintain a superior product

JDiaz 2 years ago

There's always a chance, no company is immune from failure and as long as competition exists then it's only a matter of time before something else becomes the new top product.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

Well, i like its Ul see no problem with it + its a good thing so  we don;t get bored of the samething.

dejasoul100 2 years ago

How about we just check who's more popular when 2015 actually rolls around?

Many of these "analyst" forecast tend to be grossly inaccurate for obvious reasons: sometimes you cannot use past info to predict the future. There's always the possibility of a hidden game-changer round the corner. Very few people knew that the iPhone(and the app store) would prove so popular. Apple themselves were surprised (and I'm sure, so was a certain Mr. Ballmer who had written the iPhone off).

isaacjournal 2 years ago

It is so sad the iPhone died. Only 30 seconds ago it was so popular and then I read this post and it was dead - just like that. Just like Joe Theisman's QB career.

When is the iPhone funeral? Or did I miss that too?