Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green Power Drive

The green technology movement is obviously in full swing now. Better efficiency through technological innovation has a trickle down effect to many facets of life style, technology and the environment. Whether motivated by cost or environmental reasons the benefits of eco-minded innovation will eventually be felt by all. When products can be produced cheaper through the use of green technologies due to cost savings to the manufacturer, consumers and the planet will eventually reap the benefits. Widespread adoption of green technology products, like Western Digital's Green Power Hard Drive for example, adds to the overall effectiveness of the green technology movement and increases aggregate resource savings in the enterprise and data center, as well as the end user markets.

Western Digital is the first to market with a 2TB hard drive and it just so happens that it's a Caviar Green Power version drive. Not only is it flush with a much larger capacity but it also features "Green Power" technology that includes a host of features which make this a very consumer and environmentally friendly drive. Advertising lower temperatures, quieter operation, and the performance advantages of increased platter density, this drive is suited for a variety of storage usage models, especially those with tighter power consumption constraints...

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green Power Hard Drive

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
Oblio211 5 years ago

Awesome, finally some reviews of this bad boy!! Haven't even read it yet but I NEED 4 of them so I am praying reviews are good and price starts coming down. $299 is way to expensive for a 2 TB drive when 1.5TB are around $120.

Thanks!

Any possible plans to review it in a NAS or a RAID array in the future?

Anonymous 5 years ago

I wondered how drives with variable spindle speeds would perform in a RAID config and then noticed that one of the features of the Caviar GP's enterprise sibling - the RE2 is firmware with improved RAID functionality. There is not a 2GB RE2 GP out yet but it would be interesting to see in a heads up raid comparison.

marco c 5 years ago

Not at the moment. I'm sure they'll be fine though...the 1TB version of the drive (two fewer platters) works fine in a 4-way RAID 5 configuration in my NAS box.

marco c 5 years ago

...As long as your NAS device supports the drive that is...

Oblio211 5 years ago

[quote user="Marco C"]

...As long as your NAS device supports the drive that is...

Good point, I know it currently supports 1.5 TB drives but might need a future firmware update for 2TB.

PC_enthusiast 5 years ago

a good firmware like that have a good price indeed

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

Looks like it performs better than the 1TB version. I guess the higher density helps with that.

docchris 5 years ago

from the article:

"The Western Digital Green Power Caviar 2TB drive features 4 - 500GB platters rotating at a variable speed that is determined by the transfer rate required at any given time. Due to this variable spindle speed Western Digital has not published any rotational speed specifics. "

I cannot believe "journalists" are STILL making this mistake

NONE of the GP drive VARY their spin speed - this would be INCREDIBLY difficult to achieve!!!  Each drive has a fixed speed - so far they are ALL very very close to 5400rpm (its easy to measure the spin speed with an oscilliscope and "listen" to the hum of the drive) - and even under very very heavy load - the spin speeds dont change, at all.

Even another hot hardware article says:

" We know that they are likely spinning at a speed between 5400 and 7200 RPM and that each GreenPower model may use a different, invariable RPM."

From:

marco c 5 years ago

docchris, you are correct and the article has been updated to reflect the correct information.

InfinityzeN 5 years ago

Hummm, interesting.  My NAS already has four WD 1TB Green Power Drives though (Not to mention three USB 1TB External drives plugged into it).  I would end up buying a second NAS if I picked up four of these.  I think I'll hold off until I reach 50% full storage on my current NAS and server before I upgrade again though.  That'll be another... 2.5~3TB of data I think.  I'll check when I get home from work.

Overall though, this looks like a nice little upgrade.