Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green Drive Preview

Late last week Western Digital briefed us on their forthcoming release of a new addition to their Caviar Green family of hard drives.  No we're not talking some sort of exotic sushi or cracker-bound fish egg here either but rather a new, rather humongous and environmentally more friendly hard drive from WD, that can be considered an "industry first".  Today marks the day that standard rotational media breaks the 2TB barrier.  Let's spell that out a bit more clearly again here; T-W-O full Terabytes of SATA-based storage on a single, standard 3.5" hard drive.  Those of you on the consumer side of the market, hoarding gigs of music, movies, pictures and other media just got a bunch more breathing room to play with.  And those of you in the enterprise space now have a new option to consider with respect to bulk, low-cost, power-efficient storage.  Perhaps that rack just got a little smaller or the need to cool it a little less?

Today Western Digital is announcing their WD20EADS drive, otherwise known as the WD Caviar Green 2.0TB.  With 32MB of onboard cache and special power management algorithms that balance spindle speed and transfer rates, the WD Caviar Green 2TB claims a top rung spot on the density-per-square-inch and power-efficiency ladders.

We've had an engineering sample here in house for a few days and have done some preliminary testing on it.  We'll be offering a full performance evaluation with the final revision of this new drive in the coming weeks but we have a sneak peek for you here.  Let's start with the specifications and then we'll take a closer look at the vital signs.

Specs:

• Capacity:  2TB (400Gb/sq.in. areal density)
  • 32MB cache buffer
  • Variable spindle speed
  • 3.5-inch form-factor
  • 500GB/platter, 4-platter design
  • 3Gb/sec SATA with NCQ
  • SATA power connector only
  • PMR head technology
  • RoHS compliant

Formatted capacity - Windows Vista 32-bit, NTFS partition

Though our test system and the OS sees the drive as 1.81TB, as you can see here, there are over 2 trillion bytes of available capacity on this new, freshly formatted hard drive, with 147MB used just for the file system alone.  Below are some quick and dirty performance numbers with HD Tach and SANDRA.  We should underscore that we're testing a pre-release engineering sample here, so performance figures could scale higher as firmware revision are made to the product.

SANDRA and HD Tach Preliminary Performance - Engineering Sample, Firmware Not Final

A quick glance at the numbers here show this new big-boy Caviar Green drive from WD offering more than competitive performance versus the likes of Samsung's Spinpoint F1 and Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 -- both 7200RPM-based products.  HD Tach shows an average read speed of 90MB/s and average writes at 80MB/s.  We'll be digging into performance metrics with other tools like IOMeter in the days ahead but this early view certainly looks good for a disk with this sort of capacity.  We'll be looking at power as well but WD claims this drive drops in somewhere around 7 Watts under read/write load and 5 Watts at idle.  With the ever-increasing demand for bulk storage, this new WD drive offers a smaller carbon footprint as well, with a full 2TB available in a single 3.5" drive.

MSRP for the new ginormous Caviar is set at $299.  You can catch the official press release from WD, here. Stay tuned for the full HH monty with WD's new big-bad Caviar, coming soon.

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
amdcrankitup 5 years ago

Dang I missing all the news and fun!!!! Again Im using someone,s computer to talk on here! Cant wait till Im back up and running!Got some of you guys email and I appreciate you thoughts and prayers. Just to many finacial problems right now along with some health problems and on top of that my trucks broke down but hopefully I,ll catch up and get back here where I belong.Miss coming here evryday the news and all you guys. Thanks alot see you soon!

alpha_one_x86 5 years ago

For use all the space you need use GPT partition table, not MS-Dos partition table.

AjayD 5 years ago

I only have about 500GB left on my 1.5TB HD I bought recently, so provided Western digital prices this well, I may have to grab one when they hit the shelves.

Any word on a 2TB Caviar Black version?

Dave_HH 5 years ago

No word on the black version yet but MSRP is expect to be $299!

amdcrankitup 5 years ago

Yeah dependent on the price and my finances at the time I would love to have this drive and still want a 300g Raptor!!Plus a good video card at least a low cost 9800 video card!Hmmm dont want much do I? LOL Well I,ve learned a long time ago patience is a good thing cause I always of course want the fastest an i7 and the new Asus boards, I just need to hang around Raid he,s the one with the money! HA! HA!

shanewu 5 years ago

Wow, that's looking pretty sweet -- awesome size and great performance (way better than the 1TB Green drives I reviewed a while back) to boot (no pun intended).

tanka12345 5 years ago

Looking great! Seagates probably too busy with their firmware problems to develop their own 2TB drive. I can't wait to see the Caviar Black Version, but $299US is alot! Tongue Tied

Der Meister 5 years ago

wow a 2tb drive thats nice!

bchase 5 years ago

$299 is cheap considering the SSD prices.

256mb for $495...

Riks 5 years ago

oo i was going to get the 1.5tb one, may aswell wait for this

ice91785 5 years ago

I believe you mean 256 GB there BChase -- two different spectrums though. SSD = performance whereas these "old fashioned" drives are all about huge capacity.

Char 5 years ago

Does anyone know what the RPM will be?

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

Variable spindle speed. I think like 5400 up to 7200, at least with the 1TB ones.

Der Meister 5 years ago

Yea they wont be over 7200. there is no real need on the bog HD's and it just casuses more ware on the drive. Like bob said 5400-7200rpm will be the speed of them

Dave_HH 5 years ago

WD doesn't list that because the spindle speeds vary since it's a green drive and that is governed to reduce power consumption.

Char 5 years ago

Dang, did know you had to be a computer geek to ask a simple question. Just wanted to ready more up on the issue as I have been following Seagate's issue etc. Sorry for being a simple person and looking for a reliable website to do some reasearch on.

Dave_HH 5 years ago

Sorry then Char. This is the "reliable" site you're looking for then so ask away! :)

Char 5 years ago

Dang, excuse me. I have never been on this site before had no clue how polite you could be. Like I really would know how reliable you could be as I personally do not know you. Let me try to rephrase the questions.

Do you know of any site out there that would provide me with some additional reading information on the WD 2 TB?

Thanks again for your advanced kindness.

Dave_HH 5 years ago

[quote user="Char"]

Thanks again for your advanced kindness.

No sweat at all, Char!  Sorry if I took you wrong there.  We're not too polite or stuffy around here actually.  Wink

We'll be offering a full performance evaluation here at HH, on the full production release version of the drive.  The unit we tested here had only engineering release firmware and was not final production product.  More to come in the days ahead when WD releases the final drive to us and we get it on the bench for some serious testing!

ice91785 5 years ago

it will be 7200RPM

Char 5 years ago

Were can i find this posted on a reliable web site?

Dave_HH 5 years ago

Char, what is that supposed to mean? Or are you just a standard issue troll?

recoveringknowitall 5 years ago

[quote user="Dave_HH"]Or are you just a standard issue troll?[/quote]Surprised you snapped @ him like that Dave, that's not like you at all.

I'm not tryin to make waves or disrespect, just surprised is all.

Dave_HH 5 years ago

Recover, the guy comes to our site and basically says we're not reliable. What would you like me to do? I should have just deleted the comment actually.

recoveringknowitall 5 years ago

[quote user="Dave_HH"]Recover, the guy comes to our site and basically says we're not reliable. What would you like me to do? I should have just deleted the comment actually[/quote]We all know HH is as legit as it gets so ignore the haters. I respect you and on that note, you're right... you probably shoulda just deleted the comment.

Just to clarify: The point I was making is that you're way above name calling.

3vi1 5 years ago

I don't necessarily think he was a "hater", just clueless. His question was answered, and yet he got all defensive and started acting like the people here didn't know what they were saying because he didn't comprehend the answer.

Oblio211 5 years ago

Hey Dave,

Curious if you guys have a date when you might get a release drive (and the review)?  I am itching to buy 4-5 of these.  Will you guys be able to test them in a RAID array?

Dave_HH 5 years ago

[quote user="Oblio211"]

Hey Dave,

Hi Oblio,

We hope to have a full performance review up in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Oblio211 5 years ago

Thanks Dave, will keep my eyes peeled.

amdcrankitup 5 years ago

[quote user="Dave_HH"]

Char, what is that supposed to mean? Or are you just a standard issue troll?

I caught that myself Dave!!!! Reliable web siteSuper Angry!!  That was kind of personal around here. Da! This is the place to be if you cant get what you need here you cant get it!HH RocksYes

InfinityzeN 5 years ago

Drive space, even TB of drive space, goes pretty quickly if you collect and store any multi-media.  I have four 1TB externals connected to my file server and between them I think I have a little less than 1TB (~890GB last time I checked) unused.  Those are just my multi-media drives.  I have a couple of 500GB external I use for software (downloaded/patches/etc) and another 250GB external for a backup of my documents, all of which are pretty full too.

Yes I have eight external drives totalling 5.25TB of space with only about 1.1TB of it unused.  I'm going to have to order some more drives soon and if I can get these WD 2TB Green drives in externals or even good price for internals I can drop into enclosers I'm going to jump on em.

ice91785 5 years ago

Infinity...haven't heard from you in a while man....where've ya been? :)

Riks 5 years ago

I think Freecom does a 2tb 'Data Tank'.

InfinityzeN 5 years ago

ice91785 5 years ago

[quote user="InfinityzeN"]Ice... I've been in Iraq, getting a divorce, and moving all the way across the country.  I'm settled down near Tampa right now and will be here for hopefully at least 2 more years.[/quote]

Good to hear from ya man; you done with your enlistment? Or are you a career military man?

Dave_HH 5 years ago

[quote user="InfinityzeN"]

Heya Infinity,

Good to have you back with us and thanks VERY much for protecting our backsides here in the states.

Bests,
Dave

InfinityzeN 5 years ago

I'm career and half way to retirement right now.

It's good to be back Dave, and because of that Smooth Creations review you guys did I have one in route.  You guys were right, they are great value.  Cost of the parts ~$50 less than the cost of the system, and that is not taking into account the paint and warranty.

shortysdohdoh 5 years ago

i bought a 750GB drive when i built my new PC a few weeks ago, upgraded from a 120 in my old pc

Originally i was thinking that 750GB was going to be way too much, but somebody just posted that they only have 500GB left on a 1.5TB drive.....

what in the world do you have on your hard drive? i am curious what takes up so much space

AjayD 5 years ago

Properly done 1080p BluRay rips take up around 6GB per movie. It is easy to fill up TBs of space with HD video among other things.

ice91785 5 years ago

Ajay, do you have a stripping method you like to implement when it comes to BD?

shortysdohdoh 5 years ago

ahh, ok. i figured it might be something like that. i've only watched one blu-ray disc in my life so far let alone rip any onto my harddrive despite owning a new 32" sony bravia.

i guess i'll start looking into it, after all i don't know what else i'll do with 750GB of harddisk

ice91785 5 years ago

I have a few BDs on my storage server -- I estimate that i can fit ~50 BDs with my current 2.5TB of storage; this scares me as I plan on having more than this in my library...I have experiemented with stripping a little bit but more random movies I sometimes get extreme frameloss so I wasn't sure if there was a better way

herrbrahms 5 years ago

Spell check: the proper verb is not "hording" but "hoarding."

Dave_HH 5 years ago

[quote user="herrbrahms"]

Spell check: the proper verb is not "hording" but "hoarding."

Where is this misspelling?

Oblio211 5 years ago

[quote user="Dave_HH"]Where is this misspelling?[/quote]

Dave, i believe he means here in the article:

Late last week Western Digital briefed us on their forthcoming release of a new addition to their Caviar Green family of hard drives.  No we're not talking some sort of exotic sushi or cracker-bound fish egg here either but rather a new, rather humongous and environmentally more friendly hard drive from WD, that can be considered an "industry first".  Today marks the day that standard rotational media breaks the 2TB barrier.  Let's spell that out a bit more clearly again here; T-W-O full Terabytes of SATA-based storage on a single, standard 3.5" hard drive.  Those of you on the consumer side of the market, hording gigs of music, movies, pictures and other media just got a bunch more breathing room to play with.  And those of you in the enterprise space now have a new option to consider with respect to bulk, low-cost, power-efficient storage.  Perhaps that rack just got a little smaller or the need to cool it a little less?

[quote user="Dave_HH"]Spell check: the proper verb is not "hording" but "hoarding."[/quote]

Are you serious?  Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Dave_HH 5 years ago

[quote user="Oblio211"]

[quote user="Dave_HH"]Where is this misspelling?[/quote]

Dave, i believe he means here in the article:

Are you serious?  Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Nah, that's a good catch!  Corrected! Thanks