Toshiba Launches 7-inch Color E-reader in Japan

Move over, 7-inch color e-readers, there’s a new guy in town--if you live in Japan, anyway. Toshiba announced a full color 7-inch (1024x600) dedicated e-reader called the BookPlace DB50, which will launch in Japan on February 10th. Word on the street is that it may make its way to U.S. shores at some point, too.

Specifications include a 1GHz Freescale i.MX535 processor; 8GB of internal storage; 1GB of RAM; 7.5-hour battery life; 802.11b/g/n WLAN; Bluetooth; and dedicated Home, Menu, Back, Continue, and Volume buttons. There will also be a micro USB port, headphone jack, and a microSD slot.

Image credit: techcrunch

The BookPlace DB50 is designed to sync with the BookPlace store, which offers thousands of titles with many more to come. Reports have the BookPlace DB50 pegged at $284 USD.
Via:  Toshiba
Comments
LLeCompte 2 years ago

seems pretty cool, kinda like a nook color or kindle fire.

dangerrenegade 2 years ago

I have a Kindle Fire which is great for certain things, but PDF reading is not optimal. I feel I need to purchase a 10" model.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

some people says its laggy when turn pages and more when playing music. 7'' isn't that small T_T.I remeber when i first saw one in the store, i thought it had like some paper on the screen so i was like trying to remove it (ussually the screen is like a mirror, it reflects what is infront of it ) and then the guy from best buy asked me "may i help you? i was like no i'm just looking and then he started touching it and told me that it was good for reading i was like w t * hehehehe

omegadraco 2 years ago

Is this using the new color e-ink? Also is the screen backlit or not. I personally like to stick with a non backlit screen and e-ink for dedicated reading as I find it does not bother my eyes as much as reading on an LCD screen.

cowboyspace 2 years ago

yes, this is using new color e-ink, and a 7'' TFT-LCD screen with an LED backlight

omegadoom13 2 years ago

The Kindle Fire is laggy when browsing the internet and PDF reading isn't great, still the Amazon Store is pretty awesome. I would definitely be interested in reading professional reviews of this Toshiba E-reader.