Thrustmaster Reveals HOTAS WARTHOG: Serious Joystick For Serious Gamers

Never had the opportunity to try out for the Air Force? Didn't bother to go to flight school when you were younger? It's not exactly easy to get into a airplane's cockpit these days, but Thrustmaster's new joystick may have you believing otherwise.

The HOTAS WARTHOG is aiming to be the most realistic flight sim joystick on the market, and it has a lot going for it. It's definitely not just another stick; the build materials are above average, you've got more buttons than you'll probably know what to do with and a price tag that will keep away all but the hardcore flight sim gamers. The reason this unit is so special is that it's a full replica of the joystick, dual throttle system and dual throttle control panel of the U.S. Air Force A-10C attack aircraft.

The unit itself weighs over 14 lbs., so you'll be sure you aren't playing with some flimsy toy. And the whole thing is also mostly constructed of metal. There are 55 fully programmable action buttons and 2 four-direction hat switches, each with a built-in push button; it's the first joystick in the world to incorporate such a feature.

It's designed for use with the PC and will be on sale this month for $499.99. Definitely not cheap, but you'll most likely get what you pay for in this scenario.

Thrustmaster Launches the HOTAS WARTHOG™, A Realistic Joystick For Flight Enthusiasts

Thrustmaster provides a solution for gamers with a need for speed setting a new worldwide benchmark for gaming joysticks

New York, NY – (October 7, 2010) - Thrustmaster, the innovative PC and console accessory brand, unveils their new flagship gaming product, the HOTAS WARTHOG™, a full replica of the joystick, dual throttle system and dual throttle control panel of the U.S. Air Force A-10C attack aircraft. Weighing in at more than 14 lbs, the joystick, throttle handles and bases are constructed of mostly metal. With 55 fully programmable action buttons and 2 four-direction hat switches, each with a built-in push button (the first joystick in the world to incorporate such a feature), the HOTAS WARTHOG™ is in a class of its own. It will be available at the end of October for $499.99 SRP.

The HOTAS WARTHOG™ joystick is the result of an intense collaboration between Thrustmaster's development teams and members of the flight sim community. Exchanges between the two sides and studies were carried out constantly throughout the product's development phase in order to create a joystick which meets the most exact and specific requirements of these expert users.

The three key parts in the HOTAS WARTHOG™ that make up an effective, complete set include:

The Joystick

* Action Buttons- The joystick features 19 action buttons, along with a "Point Of View" hat
* Extreme precision - Employs the H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology™* magnetic sensor system: 16-bit precision (65536 x 65536 values), with no gimbals (cardan joints)
* Actual Airplane Button Resistance – Pressing on the joystick's buttons and triggers requires pressure identical to that required in an actual airplane – a true first in the world of joysticks
* Detachable Joystick – For complete freedom of use for flight simmers, the joystick handle is detachable and can also be used on the base of the HOTAS Cougar™
* Detachable Base – allows users to install the joystick in a cockpit

The Throttles

* Dual Throttle System – Allows for independent control of 2 motors: a locking system lets the user either attach the 2 throttles together, or keep them independent of one another
* Magnetic Sensor Technology – The magnetic sensor technology used for the throttles (14-bit resolution, with 16384 values on each throttle) provides unrivalled precision
* Pull and Push System – Switching to the idle and afterburner detents is carried out via a Pull and Push* system, for even greater realism
* Afterburner Detent – Can be disengaged, allowing users to perfectly adapt the throttle control to the type of airplane they are piloting
* Multiple Function Throttles – Feature a total of 17 action buttons, a "Point Of View" hat and a "mouse hat / slew control"

The Control Panel

* Multiple Controls – The control panel provides an extensive number and variety of controls
* Friction Wheel – Allows users to manually adjust the resistance of the throttles according to their own preference
* Backlit Functions – Users will appreciate the 5 programmable LEDs and backlighting during low-light conditions or dark night flights
* Trim Wheel - The base includes a "trim wheel" and 15 action buttons, including numerous push buttons with resistance identical to that on a real airplane and industrial metal switches (2 or 3 positions) with highly realistic pressure

Innovative, high-performance software

The HOTAS WARTHOG™ joystick's deadly weapon is known as T.A.R.G.E.T (Thrustmaster Advanced pRogramming Graphical EdiTor). T.A.R.G.E.T is a software suite allowing users to test, configure and program Thrustmaster® controllers, chief among them the all-new HOTAS WARTHOG™, but also the MFD Cougar, the HOTAS Cougar™ and the T.16000M.

T.A.R.G.E.T

* Create Programming Configurations – Users can create programming configurations which are either more or less complex simply by using the mouse and the Drag and Drop principle
* Three different programming Levels – "Basic", to get started; "Advanced", to employ more advanced functions; and finally "Script", to harness the full power of the software
* New Script Language – In this software suite, the standard Script language has been totally rewritten to provide more flexibility, new functions and virtually unlimited possibilities
* The Powerful Software Application – Can simulate virtual devices such as a keyboard, joystick and mouse, in order to simulate all of the actions required for these devices' use and are measured on the axes and buttons of the physical controllers, but sent to software applications via a virtual controller
* Total Interaction – T.A.R.G.ET allows interaction between different Thrustmaster USB controllers, with simplified configurations in simulators, and the use of a single preset for all controllers, rather than having to use multiple different presets as controllers
* Built-In Presets – T.A.R.G.E.T includes built-in presets for well-known games (both recent and older titles), and lets users create new presets too
Via:  Thrustmaster
Comments
jturnbull65 4 years ago

I haven't played a flight sim in years, but seeing hardware like this makes me want to. Ahhh... now I'm getting nostalgic about Aces of the Pacific.

fat78 4 years ago

you have to be very serious about flight sims to buy this. I'll stick with my 40$ joystick

inspector 4 years ago

$500!!! but then look at that beast! it looks like it was ripped out of a jet! Well its meant to look like it but !!! i would love to have this

SmogHog 4 years ago

Just in time for....

Microsoft 'Flight Simulator' Returns As Microsoft 'Flight'

Microsoft's "Flight Simulator" is back - sort of.

The game, which Microsoft famously shut down at the beginning of 2009(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339520,00.asp)

will take wing again in Microsoft "Flight," which Microsoft revealed during the August Gamescom event in Cologne, Germany.

Microsoft hasn't released pricing or even a ship date for the new title, just this teaser trailer at the company's site. It depicts the external view of a small single-engine plane flying over a realistic-looking ocean.

Fans of the series may be a bit unnerved by the fact that Microsoft has eliminated the word "Simulator" from the title, added a the outline of a buxom pilot to the right side of the screen, and said it will be "welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight".

Microsoft Game Studios will develop the title, Microsoft said.

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

Wow and I thought my N52te was serious business.

realneil 4 years ago

"Wow and I thought my N52te was serious business."

It is.

The 500.00 beast is too.

3vi1 4 years ago

How do you like that n52te, Bob? I hear that it's pretty easy to use with Linux, using pystromo, but I've never touched one.

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

I have not tried pystromo, but the thing I love about both my Logitech G500 and Belkin N52te is that they both have onboard memory. I dual boot on my desktop Win 7 and Ubuntu. So I set them up in Windows once and I have all my settings including macros in Linux. Works great on both products. I did try setting up a VM in VirtualBox and seeing if I could change stuff without rebooting. Didn't work, but it might with some tweaking.

Overall though I really like it. I used to have a N50 back when I played UT2K4 that I got from Big Lots for $5. I used to love that thing so I finally picked this up from BestBuy a while back. I set the Dpad up as WASD which is really weird to get used to, but once you do you have your whole hand full of keys for anything you could need. I put them all to use too.

On second though about pystromo. The N50 and N52 are both build by Belkin. The N52te is actually Razer build and use Razer drivers. They are not compatible with the N52 drivers or profiles, so before you get one I would check and make sure it works with the TE.

Logitech also makes the G13 which looks similar. I played with it at at BestBuy and it has the little screen and is only like $5 more, but I really just didn't like the joystick.

animatortom 4 years ago

That is Frackin Awsome!

It looks very durable and when it comes to yokes that is the main issue! That is why I have been putting off getting one of the X-52's.

But 500 bills! Jeez!

I think I will wait until it goes on special at Fry's for around 100!

3vi1 4 years ago

Hmmm... look at the baseplates of those. they're designed to be absolutely perfect when mounted to an arcade control panel. You could use a hole-drill and slide the joystick up from underneath the panel, and cut a square that perfectly fits the thrust controls.

If my arcade cabinet did not already have 33 buttons, four joysticks, a trackball, and a spinner, I would seriously consider it.

animatortom 4 years ago

Hmmm... look at the baseplates of those.

Back in LA I actually built a stand that could mount on the couch like a TV tray that I could use with the flight yoke and the driving wheel with just about ten dollars of wood from home depotCool

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]Yeah,.. try explaining it to the wife, when she comes home and find out that you have drilled holes and mounted it onto the coffee table!Geeked

I honestly think Jen would just look and it and sit down at her computer. When I told her year before last that I wanted water cooling for my PC for my birthday and she just said ok I knew that I needed to marry her.

Drago 4 years ago

If MechWarrior 5 ever comes out that stick would be sweet for a lot of mech heads. Air Planes are so yesterday folks its all about 100ton engines of destruction and mayhem.

fat78 4 years ago

please, planes can get up to mach 3, mech warriors move at like 7mph.

SPage 3 years ago

WARNING WARNING WARNING

People with a very popular motherboard chipset forget buying this product.

It seems that customers $500 devices are being bricked due to poor QA testing when in development.

Anyone with a Asus motherboard or motherboards that use similar chipsets are exposed to the risk of catastrophic failure.

TM agree that that certain motherboards that use the chipset are bricking units.

There have been hundreds of units bricked, see: