Swype Keyboard Tech Coming To iOS Devices?

Many Android users are already familiar with Swype, a replacement keyboard by Nuance that allows users to input words and faster and easier by using one continuous motion rather than tapping out each character. There's a bit of learning curve involved, but once mastered, you can hammer out lengthy messages with little effort. Unfortunately for Apple users, Swype isn't available on iOS, at least not yet.

Aaron Sheed, vice president of Swype at Nuance, participated in a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) in which he revealed that Swype for iOS has at least been talked about with Apple.

"Hah. The million (okay billion) dollar question. Yes, we have chatted with [Apple], they are very smart and nice," Sheed said in response to a question asking if there had ever been any conversations with Apple about licensing Nuance's technology.

It should be noted that a relationship between the two parties already exists. Nuance provides voice recognition technology that Apple uses in Siri, and while Sheed's comments are far removed from a confirmation, it seems only logical that Apple would at least explore the idea of integrating Swype into a future version of iOS.
Via:  Reddit
Comments
rdsoxfan1234 one year ago

I've been using swiftkey keyboard on my android for a while now. I must say I did like the new introduction of swype like typing. It makes typing with one hand a lot easier. It would be interesting to see how they would implement that into iOS. Unfortunately though, apple will probably claim it to be this great and new technology that has changed everything we knew about typing...

ajm531 one year ago

i dont like swype anyways. As you mentioned rdsoxfan1234 i use switfkey as well. And its swype implementation or flow feature is even better than swype. In face its funny cause i feel that swype is playing catch up in a software idea that it made popular. Also swiftkey has come kick butt text prediction its even scary at times. But i this comment by Aaron sheed means nothing to me at this point. I would be so surprised if apple allowed this. it would be nice for them but again just not believable

lipe123 one year ago

Swiftkey is actually really good but honestly the swype version I used long ago on my windows mobile 6.5 phone worked better than swiftkey's flow.

I have a lot of trouble with words that have double letters in them with flow.

Back to the main issue tho, Apple sucks and I honestly hope they don't get swype just so they can suck even more compared to android.

I'm so glad to see developers jumping on the android boat in full force making use of any/all the features avail and not being restricted by apple's dumb walled garden approach of what can and cannot be done.

MayhemMatthew one year ago

I have tried them all, but still prefer Swype over all. I am not changing out there/their/theyre as much.

thunderdan602 one year ago

Swype is/was available over at the Android store for a dollar. I like it.

Kidbest100 one year ago

I like how if you look at the article's image closely, the line reads out "HotHardware":P Nice touch.

On note of the story, I don't think I would enjoy this. Swype never really helped me when typing something, in most cases it hindered me more than helped.

But I'm not too big on mobile anyway, so I guess it comes down to you guys, the people who would actually use it :P

Anyway, it's nice to see Apple getting along okay with someone for once in the sandbox instead of just smashing down everyone's sand castle. I guess that bit comes next week.