Survey Shows Grown Ups Texting More Than Before

Text messaging has been a popular form of communication for teens for quite some time now, but adults are catching the craze as well. A new study from the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project reveals that 72 percent of adult cell phone users now send and receive text messages. This represents an increase from 65 percent in September 2009, and 58 percent in December 2007.

The Cell Phones and American Adults report also shows that 87 percent of teens use their phones for text messaging.  Although adults may be catching the texting bug, teens still send and receive the most messages: teens average 50 messages a day compared to the 10 messages most adults send and receive on a daily basis.

"We’ve reached a point where enough other people are texting that (adults) are drawn into using it because they can finally use it to communicate with a substantial number of their friends and family," said Amanda Lenhart, Pew senior research specialist. "It may be that folks have been pushed by pricing into unlimited texting plans, which has the effect of encouraging people with those plans to text more, because they no longer think of the cost, and then text more people more often."

The survey also found:

• 57 percent of adults have received unwanted or spam text messages on their phones
  • 90 percent of parents have a cell phone, compared with 72 percent of adults without children under the age of 18 at home
  • Most adults still use their phones primarily for voice calling. On average, they make and receive about five calls each day.
  • 87 percent of African Americans and English-speaking Hispanics own a cell phone in the United States, compared to 80 percent of whites.

Via:  Pew Internet
Comments
Inspector 4 years ago

Voice calling is a thing of the pass, Texting is the future. Gota let go to advance :P

it would be odd if you didn't have a cell phone.

The fact that teens that texted are becoming parents now make the numbers higher for adults texting.

realneil 4 years ago

I'll pass on texting. I like digital communication with a full sized keyboard and a big-A*s screen.

sackyhack 4 years ago

I think texting's a great tool, but I'm just too damn slow. I'm only 25 and texting on my phone makes me feel like an arthritic 90 year old. Maybe I'll start when I get an iPhone or something else with a visible keyboard.

Inspector 4 years ago

What sacky? People tend to type faster on a physical keyboard then a visible one. If you text that slow now, you would be even slower on a touchscreen keyboard.

sackyhack 4 years ago

Nah, I still have one of those old school phones with only numbers. When on a touchscreen keyboard, if I press R, I'll get R. On my current phone, when I want R, I press 8 accidentally instead of 7, then press 7 four times and end up on S instead of R, hit clear, press 7 three times, but now the R that I wanted to be capitalized is lowercase, and so on and so on. I've messed around on my friends' iphones, that touchscreen keyboard is much more sackyhack friendly.

rapid1 4 years ago

lol realneil don't we all. I actually text a good bit now. This is especially true from the professional aspect. On this contract I have spent a lot of time texting back ad forth with the PM he uses a blackberry I use my Galaxy S Pro "epic". It is and efficient and fast way of communication. I also text Sarah at work a good bit because she is not really supposed to take personal call at work.