Study: Facebook Users Have Lower GPA

While one study indicates that a little Internet leisure time at work can increase productivity, a second study now shows college students who regularly use social networking site Facebook have lower GPAs than those who do not.

My comment, or rather question: they actually found college students who didn't use Facebook?

Researcher Aryn Karpinski conducted the study with a colleague at Ohio State University. They questioned 219 undergraduate and graduate students about their study habits and Internet use, as well as their specific use of Facebook.

The study showed that 68% of the students who used Facebook had a "significantly" lower GPA than those who did not use the site.

Karpinski said:
"Every generation has its distractions, but I think Facebook is a unique phenomenon. Our study shows people who spend more time on Facebook spend less time studying. It is the equivalent of the difference between getting an A and a B."
Karpynski will present the findings this week at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association.

Despite the results of the report, Karpynski also indicated that 79% of Facebook users surveyed believed the time they spent on the site had no impact on their grades.
Via:  Telegraph
Comments
Der Meister 5 years ago

I want to know just who these "non" users are... It seems to me that they are more than likely not very social....

squid267 5 years ago

Oh you didn't know? Kinda obvious when ppl are spending soo much time on this site.

Dave_HH 5 years ago

And contrary to that, people that spend more time on HH, have HIGHER GPA's in the Tech field because they sometimes actually LEARN something! LOL!

squid267 5 years ago

@Dave

yea, and computers is a growing field so this forum is useful.

Drago 5 years ago

I for one dont use facebook, myspace, twiter, etc. and im in college. Heck my cell phone is in my glove box of my car 99% of the time to. Does this mean im not social, nope, i just choose to not be like all the other morons out there.

And yeah Davo, you are exactly right man, i learn alot by visiting HH and reading stuff. Many many times i have found some good stuff for school, and even at work here.

3vi1 5 years ago

I'll make this quick since I'm skipping my English As A Second Language 102 final to post this, but I think this study is totally boogus.

I'll poste moar about it on my Facebook paje later.

Der Meister 5 years ago

what if you spend time on both? do you have a mix of GPA's? lol