Sony Japan Introduces White PlayStation 3 Console

Colored game consoles have been around for years now. It didn't take long for companies to realize that consumers would go crazy over a simple "limited run" of colored consoles, and even as far back as the famed black DreamCast, this tactic has shown to work well. For whatever reason, consumers love color choices. Maybe it fits their mood or their style, or maybe it just helps to fit in with their decorations. Either way, Sony has never been one to shy away from colors, and even today there are quite a few PSP color options around the world.

The company's past PlayStation 2 console has also shipped in various colors, and now it's time for the PS3 to follow suit. The original PS3 has since been replaced with a sleeker, smaller model, but up until this point, the only color available has been glossy black. That works for most people, but as we have seen with the demand surrounding the white iPhone 4 (which isn't yet available), people are likely to go wild for a white PS3.

Sony Japan has just introduced a white PlayStation 3 Slim, complete with a 160GB hard drive and a price of nearly $350. Unfortunately for everyone not located in Japan, this white PS3 will remain a Japan exclusive at least for awhile, and there's no clear indication yet of when other countries can expect to see it. In related news, Sony Japan is also introducing a 320GB version of the black PS3 Slim, but again, it's Japan-only for now.
Via:  Sony Japan
Comments
fat78 4 years ago

PC gaming beats all other gaming

Nethersprite 4 years ago

Agreed!

The thing is, Sony worries me. First they make a Wii-like controller/lollipop, and now they make their console white. Hmm...

twistedfate 4 years ago

hmm dust stains?

Inspector 4 years ago

Lol nether, i see where that is going O.o... I want a green/blue one now...

Twisted if you care for your ps3 you would probably be cleaning it alot, other wise you wouldnt mind the dust... (not you as in you but you as in ps3 owners)

animatortom 4 years ago

Those racist Japanese! Wheres the yellow one?

They should have been mixing different colors from the beginning. They probably would have generated greater interests for a niche market if they got people clamoring for that elusive Pink PS3. Or the Ferrari Red!

recoveringknowitall 4 years ago

Check out this slick custom paint job!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EDDu_aEAU&feature=related

lonewolf 4 years ago

I guess they though that the black console attracts to much heat so they changed to the white console to help it run cooler. Xbox should take note they had problems with the RROD.

mentaldisorder 4 years ago

[quote user="lonewolf"]

The xbox's with the original rrod were white...

I think the system with the paint job looks ugly, I won't buy a white console again.

acarzt 4 years ago

Yea, I wasn't a fan of the Xbox being white either. I was so happy when the elite came out :-D

ClemSnide 4 years ago

I kinda doubt that case color has much to do with heat buildup-- unless you play with it outside in the sun a lot. And as we all know, being outside in the sun is anathema to the gamer.

@Inspector: Sony's kind of odd about caring for your PS(n). I had such trouble with their MMORPG-like product that ran on the PS2 that I had to return it. (The PS2, that is.) During the process I learned from customer service that I should not be cleaning its CD drive in the manner recommended by the instruction manual that was included with the thing when I bought it.

Sonied (so' need) v. tr. To be screwed without the potential for pleasure that often comes of that activity.

Kyouya 4 years ago

Although it looks stylish, I already have a PS3 slim and I am enjoying every minute of it. Currently, I am playing Super Street Fighter IV and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

lonewolf 4 years ago

@ Clem Snide yea I figured that I was just putting my spin on why I imagined they would go with a white paint scheme. It definitely will attract dirt and such, anyhow that was my stab at it.

Inspector 4 years ago

recoveringknowitall,

seems like they missed a spot xD, they should of spent the time covering it little by little so to gets it painted all over. the power button label and disc tray label have black insides :P

acarzt 4 years ago

I prefer the black PS3... White just makes it seem.... old... and boring... Not a fan of white.

crowTrobot 4 years ago

I hate Sony of releasing white versions of its products only in Japan.  I have a Sony EX700 TV and when I saw the white version online I wanted to sell mine, fly over to Japan and pick one up!

For some reason the white versions look much more futuristic (think Mass Effect style armor) than the usual glossy black with silver trim.

Der Meister 4 years ago

Humm I would love if i had a Japanese Gen 1 white PS3 that would be sweet... but I am happy with my Gen 1

slugbug 4 years ago

It's all done with plastic extrusion molding. I can't see how it would cost them any more to make it white, black, or any other color.

animatortom 4 years ago

There is a simple five dollar mod for any PS3 or X-Box...Its called spray paintStick out tongue

acarzt 4 years ago

lol... yea... but it's such a pain to disassemble and spray paint your whole system.

animatortom 4 years ago

Tape $2, X-acto knife $3, Paint $4........Messed up PS3........PricelessConfused

Brush paint the grates, let dry...tape them up-Trim then spray! Alot chaper than a new PS3.

acarzt 4 years ago

yea.... but it's soooooo much easier to just pay for something that already has the work done.