Silent Power 'Copper Foam' Cooled PC Prototype Looks All Kinds Of Awesome

Where PC cooling is concerned, you can't get much more standard than copper - it's simply everywhere. Even if you're using an OEM box, chances are it at least has a copper base, and while it might not have many or any fins, your notebook will have a large copper heatpipe. So if copper is that effective, why not create a heatsink with a massive amount of it to keep a PC totally silent, and cool?

I've evaluated the possibilities of such a design while daydreaming in the past, but Germany's Silent PC have made it a reality - and I can honestly say, its real-world design looks nothing like what I've ever dreamed up.

Behold, the PC with copper mesh hat:

I've been unable to find real photos of this PC's internal design, but the website shows that all of the hot components, like the GPU and CPU, are placed right under the top of the chassis - which appears to be a massive copper base. With a direct connection like this, heat can be easily dissipated among this mesh, without the use of a fan. In a way, this design reminds me of Apple's latest Mac Pro, which connects the hottest components directly to a massive heatsink.

At the moment, this design is just a prototype. According to the wording on the website (which I had to rely on Google Translate for), it doesn't seem that the build above has actual components inside of it, and as such, no benchmarks / temperature data is able to be provided to us.

The Silent Power isn't a reality at this point; the folks behind it have been relying on crowd-funding support for it, and currently, just 14,395€ of the 45,500€ needed has been met. The company behind the PC is hoping that pre-orders for the PC will ramp up to make that possible. Currently, there are three models available, priced at 699, 769, and 1159 Euros. All include Windows 8.1, an Intel Core i7-4785T, at least 8GB of RAM, a 500GB SSD (how that's possible on the smallest two models, I'm not sure), an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 4x USB 3.0, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Audio I/O, 802.11ac, and Ethernet. Total weight of the PC is 1.35KG, and all three carry a two-year warranty.

For its very interesting design alone, I hope to see this PC become a reality. Even if the thought of keeping the copper mesh clean is a bit scary.

Via:  Silent PC
Tags:  cooling, modding
Comments
Rosec14 4 months ago

Wait, is that saying that all of those models have at least those components? If I'm not lucky enough to win the giveaway I might have to get in on this. I don't see how they can offer it at such a low price, especially using so much copper in the chassis and cooling mechanism.

basroil3 4 months ago

The total weight is 1.35kg, so I doubt you have more than 1lb of copper maybe 2 tops, and good heatsinks already have about that much and still cost less than $200. They are probably misleading on the components, but as labeled for the most expensive one it's well within the cost.

ThomasTaege 4 months ago

Totally silent computing would be pretty awesome. I'm curious to see how this develops.

AndrewFort 4 months ago

A very creative design. Hopefully they continue in this direction because I'm very curious about how effective it'll be. The science is solid, but in practice that's a lot of heat being radiated from the copper mesh, if both the GPU and the CPU are attached to the one large heat sink. That's a space heater lol the room it's in would likely need to be air conditioned.

basroil3 4 months ago

The science is solid? Most certainly not. Just check the requirements for free convection with a delta T of 50C (~100C at the chip), and you'll see that this sponge design is horrible.

AllenJun 4 months ago

The copper mesh hat looks more like hair. I would give the computer eyes. Slap some googly eyes and it'll be 10/10. http://i.imgur.com/XoEr9ZG.jpg

Joel H 4 months ago

This looks like a total scam. Copper foam? Nothing is going to change the maximum dissipation rate of pure copper -- and without a fan, copper foam is just an oddity.

RyanLaberinto 4 months ago

If it has a gtx 760 core thats pretty good, but if the copper mesh can't dissipate the heat it will just throttle itself down... You'll probably get good performance for the first 10-20minutes then the heat will just be too much

TyrellTaylor 4 months ago

Ice water works. pouring it into the vent at the back of hardware will cool anything off.

TylerVieira 4 months ago

its not going to be radiating any more heat than the same computer with a different could would be radiating

AndrewFort 4 months ago

I didn't think about that, I guess you're right

TheGreatWarMage 4 months ago

Dust bunny nightmare. It will look like Don King in a month.

For the prices listed, it would be best to use this on a server front, than home computers. Especially the heat they would want to transfer with this much copper. This plus cold atmosphere temperature and you got a winner!

Even better, some fun with chemistry and you will have a glorious green color for this. Though, verdigris on copper, how does that affect the conductivity?

basroil3 4 months ago

This thing has to be a joke... copper sponge material would be an insulator, NOT a natural convection heat sink. Ever wonder why heat sinks with slow fans (or no fans) tend to have wider fin spacing than forced convection with high fan pressures and CFM specs? It's all in about letting air naturally flow, which is the opposite of what this sponge does. If they wanted to make a fanless, finless design, they should have stuck to fine rods with spacing about a tenth- 1/20 of the length and made sure to put some heatpipes in the base plate!

BrianPatrickCooke 4 months ago

Need a boo , Thumbs Down..........

MADSKILLZ412 4 months ago

If this works, which I kind of doubt... It's definitely unique, so I think its a step in the right direction. In my opinion innovation is better than than same old thing being remade,

TelcoPhil 4 months ago

Coper forms a patina, how does that affect its ability to cool?

altshep123 4 months ago

I assumed this would still be paired with a fan of some sort or at the very least draped/covered in a liquid cooling solution. That might solve the cleaning issue and do wonders with heat. If the sponge was immersed in a liquid bath wouldn't it be effective then? I guess then you're back to a good old radiator/fan combo...

basroil3 4 months ago

No, it's actually far WORSE when in a viscous liquid or one with high capillary forces. The liquid will end up acting like an insulator rather than a conductor. There's a reason why radiators are thin with large space between fins