Seagate Ships Barracuda 7200.12 HD

SEAGATE SHIPS DESKTOP HARD DRIVE WITH WORLD’S HIGHEST AREAL DENSITY – 500GB PER DISK

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. — January 5, 2009 — Seagate (NYSE:STX) today announced first-to-market volume shipments of a mainstream desktop hard drive with the industry’s highest areal density. Packing 1TB of capacity on just two disks, Seagate’s Barracuda® 7200.12 HD, a 3.5-inch 7200-RPM drive features an areal density of 329 Gigabits per square inch to deliver the best combination of capacity, performance and reliability for PCs, desktop RAID and personal external storage.

“Demand for more desktop PC storage capacity is far from letting up as computer users worldwide generate massive amounts of digital content every day,” said Tom Major, Seagate vice president, Personal Compute Business. “Seagate is leading the industry with new storage solutions designed to store, share and manage all of that business- and user-generated content.”

The Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive provides a stellar combination of storage capacity and speed required for today’s most demanding desktop PC applications. The drive’s Serial ATA 3Gb/second interface delivers an industry-leading sustained data rate of up to 160MB/second for fast boot, application startup and file access and a burst speed of 3Gb/second. The 3.5-inch drive is also offered in capacities of 750GB and 500GB with cache options of 32MB and 16MB.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

Via:  Seagate
Comments
bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

That's awesome. 2TB drives anyone?

shanewu 5 years ago

This definitely makes it seem likely...mmmmmmmm 2 terabytes....

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="shanewu"]

This definitely makes it seem likely...mmmmmmmm 2 terabytes....

my 1TB is stuffed already. 4 OSes. I have a problem.Stick out tongue

Super Dave 5 years ago

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

That's awesome. 2TB drives anyone?

It's not about how big it is...it's how fast it can go!

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

That's awesome. 2TB drives anyone?

It's not about how big it is...it's how fast it can go!

When it comes to hard drives I'll take the space. I have a collection of old hard drives from 40gbs and up equaling about 1TB and that I still use. With 500gbs a platter I'm sure it's fast though.

tanka12345 5 years ago

I like a mix of speed and space, although my Seagate IDE HDD is only 80GB, is 5400RPM, and has a 1MB cache. It seems fast to me, although I've never experienced a 7200RPM SATA HDD for a prolonged period of time.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="tanka12345"]

I like a fast main drive. But for pictures, movies, music you don't need the speed.