Scottish Man Fakes Murder In Front Of Google Street View Camera, Gets Visit From Local Authorities

We take a short break from all the frenetic and amazing happenings at Computex to bring you a hilarious/not-so-hilarious story of a Scottish fellow who spoofed the Google Street View car and got himself a visit from the local authorities.

Back in August of 2012, Dan Thompson, owner of Tomson Motor, saw the Google Street View car coming down the street and--thinking quickly--laid down on the ground and had a buddy stand over him wielding a pickaxe handle.

google street view

It looked like a murder, and a couple of years later when a random web user spotted it, that person reported it to the police. We’re pretty sure the Google Street View folks would have A) noticed a murder taking place feet from the car and B) at least called it in, but in any case the police paid Thompson a visit.

Apparently the local fuzz knew Dan as a small business owner and thus had a laugh over it themselves (knowing full well that he hadn’t been murdered in front of his business).

Google Street View shenanigans are often funny, but take it from Dan Thompson--don’t fake a murder unless you want the cops to show up.
Via:  BBC
Comments
CliffVincent 5 months ago

whats so bad about the cops showing up?

MCaddick 5 months ago

Having ANY involvement with the cops (even if you're a victim of crime) is something to be avoided at all costs.

realneil 5 months ago

[quote user="MCaddick"]

I call BS on this. I know a lot of cops and they're usually a lot of fun to be around. Show them a little respect and you'll get it back double.

DanCapobianco 5 months ago

That is so awesome! Call me anytime you see a Google car, I'm in.

FreeJet 5 months ago

[quote user="DanCapobianco"]

That is so awesome! Call me anytime you see a Google car, I'm in.

Well in that case, see if you can go back in time to March 2012 and catch this Google-mobile I happened to photograph (Oh, the irony) lurking around my neighborhood one day:

CoreyNutter 5 months ago

why assume murder. no blood on the ground. why could he not have just cold-cocked a purse snatcher? or caught the man flashing his junk to a woman on the street?

sevags 5 months ago

That is funny. It is unfortunate that it took years for it to be discovered it could have made for some great advertising for his business lol