Samsung Outs New Line of LCD Monitors with HDTV Tuners

If something walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then it's probably a duck. But what if it also barks like a dog - what would you call it then? Figure that one out and you'll know what to call Samsung's new 90 and 30 series LED-backlit LCD displays, which you can use as a PC monitor or an HDTV.

"People are looking to do more in smaller areas and multi-function monitors are a great way to maximize the functionality of a single device," said Young Bae, director of display marketing Samsung Enterprise Business Division. "Samsung continues to expand our multi-function offerings and these two new lines – the 30 and 90 series – provide a new range of options and value for our customers."

Ranging in size from 21.5 to 24 inches, these multi-purpose whatchamacallits beam images in Full HD 1920x1080 with a 5ms response time. For what it's worth, the 90 series ups the ante by jacking up the dynamic contrast ratio from 70,000:1 (found on the 30 series) to 5,000,000:1 and trading in the 3W built-in speakers for a pair of 5W speakers.

Otherwise, both series come with HDMI connectivity, a remote control, and Picture in Picture (PiP). Look for the 90 series to ship next month for $420 (FX2490HD - 24-inch), while the 30 series is available now ranging in price from $270 to $330.
Via:  BusinessWire
Comments
lifeskills 4 years ago

This is cool. For TV tuner users, this could free up an expansion slot and take some load of your system. But you have to give up some of that precious screen real estate.

Kyouya 4 years ago

I own a Samsung P2370HD which is the predecessor of this new model. Personally, I don't like the stand on the new model. I feel like it could tip over easily.

soldier1969 4 years ago

Ugh what is the fascination with 1080 monitors, they lost me when they dumped 1920 x 1200 monitors and went to these cheaper versions. Please come out with a 30 incher with 2560 x 1600 res and LED backlit please with sugar on top...I would gladly pay $1200+ for one!

SmogHog 4 years ago

When the time comes to replace my great 1920x1200 BenQ 240W I'll want a Full HD monitor or higher with DisplayPort and a 120hz refresh.

HDMI is not open source and requires a fee to be added in to all devices that use it.

DisplayPort has no fees attached to it's use.

I never use internal or external speakers.For all my desktops and notebooks I use high quality earbuds or headphones.

I've added PCI TV Tuner cards to a few with good results.I don't care for built in solutions.

Der Meister 4 years ago

Wouldn't a Monitor with a tv tuner in it make it a TV? or am i missing something?

Inspector 4 years ago

LOL, ya what Der said. If they added a tv tuner to it i would say just group it in the TV section. What makes this a monitor and not just a tv? People use TV's as monitors anyways :P.

I like the Pip feature in this though :).