Russian Officials Ditch Their iPads For Samsung Android Tablets On Fear Of Spying

Russia seems to be making news these days for all of the wrong reasons, but the latest tidbit doesn't involve military actions or international sanctions. Purportedly in response to the NSA outings in the U.S., Russian government officials have traded in their iPads for Samsung tablets. The telecommunications minister has said that the move is being made to "ensure tighter security," presumably as Apple is a U.S.-based outfit, whereas Samsung is housed in South Korea.

The move actually happened a small while ago, but just now came to light. Samsung has made some pretty serious moves in terms of security, with Knox being the most publicized. For what it's worth, the move is said to not be in reaction to America's own reaction to Russia's moves in Ukraine.

Samsung certainly has a lot to live up to, though, and one has to wonder just how much "safer" information is within Russia due to using Galaxy tablets over the iPad. Given just how much of the intel is transmitted over the Internet, it's really the network side of things that should be of greatest concern. Still, it's pretty interesting that political games now involve consumer technology -- who would've thunk it?
Via:  Security Week
Comments
JefferyPruett 8 months ago

I had sort of a idea this would happen glad my hypothesis was proven :) but even then I believe there is nothing really changed since SK is our Ally As Well xD

Ml 8 months ago

LOL

ShannonDianneDaves 8 months ago

If they were really worried about spying, they would have the Chinese mass produce a bunch of imitations....unless they don't trust the Chinese either.

CharlesYu 8 months ago

I think that the Russians just don't trust the US anymore so they want a closer producer that they can trust and they have (probably) better relations with. The last thing the need is the NSA bugging the iPads they are receiving.

BigKihd 8 months ago

I would have chosen Android as well, I would have mentioned pricing, but it looks like the Samsung tablets are a bit pricey as well.

TwoFaceTony 8 months ago

good chose apple is confusing and all that stuff and on the other side android has safe secure personal contacts . and all of that. i personally dislike the apple company cause i have a ipod 4th gen and its the slowest and when i plug it into the computer all hell brakes lose the things trying to back it up theres dumb apps being installed and takes an hour to get the apps you want on there because of dumbness apple is so id rather go with samsung!

JaySleven 8 months ago

Don't know about all this spying stuff they are worried about but I would have gone with Samsung either way!

JakeMetica 8 months ago

they are just paranoid

JefferyPruett 8 months ago

Yes it is lol ^

StaticFX 8 months ago

samsung.. as in android? I would say thats the LEAST secure phone OS out there! lol. good luck with that one. Seems like every week some report comes out.. bitcoin mining, fake security apps, malware... if I have to install an antivirus on my phone... someone isnt doing their job