Russian Firm Uses NVIDIA GPUs To Crack WPA, WPA2

We're not sure what's more frightening about this, the fact that the Russians figured out how to do it or that WiFi networks are effectively now completely insecure.  ElcomSoft claims they can "recover" WPA and WPA2 encypted passwords using any NVIDIA-based graphics subsystem in a workstation, desktop or even a notebook, to crack WPA encyption over 100 times fastest than with a standard CPU.  This might not mean much to the average home user because, let's face it, serious thugs aren't bothering to hack into your home network to leech your bandwidth or steal a single user's personal information.  However, for the corporate sector, this "press release" is a huge wake-up call.  You had best tunnel those WiFi networks over a VPN if you have anything at all that is worth securing, because that scruffy looking kid in the office suite over from you might not be playing Call of Duty 4 on the gaming rig he's plunking around on all day...

Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery supports both WPA and the newer WPA2 encryption used in the majority of Wi-Fi networks, allowing breaking Wi-Fi protection quickly and efficiently with most laptop and desktop computers. The support of NVIDIA graphic accelerators increases the recovery speed by an average of 10 to 15 times when Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery is used on a moderate laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 8800M or 9800M series GPU, or up to 100 times when running on a desktop with two or more NVIDIA GTX 280 boards installed. Governments, forensic and corporate users will benefit from vastly increased speed of breaking Wi-Fi protection provided by Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery.

Source:  ElcomSoft

The software also supports "password recovery" from operating systems, Microsoft Office apps, Adobe PDF, Zip and RAR files.  For $599,  a license of ElcomSoft Distruted Password Recovery supports up to 20 clients.  So now, the average LAN meet (especially over yonder in Russia) may just be one big distributed computing hack-a-thon.  You think they'll support AMD ATI Radeon GPUs eventually?  Nah....

Via:  PRWeb
Tags:  Nvidia, GPU, WPA, WPA2, Crack, Russia, RUS, SIA, ses, AC, id, GPUs, K
Comments
ice_73 6 years ago

cmon radeons need love too! gpu's are powerfull number crunchers though so im not really that supprised. now i wonder, how many of those hackers will just download the software illegally... ha

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="ice_73"]

lol Where is the ATI love. I go ATI and now Nvidia has Physx and uber hacking ablitily.

ice_73 6 years ago

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

[quote user="ice_73"]

we still got..... ummm...... crossfire-x :-) and the ability to upgrade and crossfire... like a 4870 and a 5870 can be added together to get crossfire, the 4870 will add a boost to the 5870... thats usefull....

zombiemaster 6 years ago

Pretty sure it's CUDA, so nVidia hardware only - with Apple backing OpenCL though, it's probably only a matter of time before there's C programmable GPGPU for ATI cards too.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="ice_73"]

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

[quote user="ice_73"]

Oh well yeah if your worried about gaming performanceStick out tongue My girlfriend has a 9600gt so I get to play with both sidesBig Smile

Can I take on a 5870 to my two 4870s when they come out? My mobo has 3 pcie slots, but ones only 4 lanes

ice_73 6 years ago

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

[quote user="ice_73"]

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]

[quote user="ice_73"]

yeah i believe so!  :-)

shanewu 6 years ago

I really hope NVIDIA is not promoting and bragging about this.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="shanewu"]

I really hope NVIDIA is not promoting and bragging about this.

I'm sure that they are not. I'm just getting my family to understaind that they can not just plug in there router and connect to it. They seem to think that it just stops at the front door. Now this is kinda scary. I have really nothing to lose if someone was to get on my network and I have two routers one for people to connect to and one for my computers. So if they wanted the internet I give it to them. For businesses this is a big deal. If anyone could crack your network in minutes and steal data. Or even a small coffee shop that makes a couple bucks off wifi.

ice_73 6 years ago

in defense of hackers, most dont really go around and steal data, most work for companies and show vulnerabilities and how to fix them. plus i doubt people would try to steal from a small coffee shop or anything because even though they could crack the password routers still keep logs of mac address and other sensitive information, in reality you cant get much off a wifi signal apart from captured packets (which all good data is encrypted) or free internet. so for general reasons it is really of no use.... i think

of course is a buisness is operating and using wifi and not encrypting it.... then that could be a problem...

vakil111 4 years ago