Razer Launches Awesome Tron-Inspired Gaming Gear

We don't often get too geeked over movie tie-ins, but we have to hand it to Razer for not only building a product line around the upcoming Tron remake based on the one of the most popular sci-fi flicks of all time, but for doing a killer job with it. Even non-Tron fans are likely to do a double take at these new peripherals, all three of which sport a nifty luminescent blue glow.

"We are all extremely excited about our collaboration with Disney on a line of high-end gaming peripherals inspired by the upcoming film TRON: Legacy," said Robert Krakoff, president, Razer USA. "Razer is known for our highly detailed finishes and lighting effects, so as soon as we viewed footage from TRON: Legacy, we were immediately inspired. Then, we started working to take it to the next level, as only Razer can, with a keyboard and mouse that has digitized sound effects and lighting built into it for the ultimate gaming experience."

First up is the Tron Gaming Keyboard, a futuristic looking plank with lighting effects during start-up and shutdown. It comes with a detachable modular keypad that can be placed on either side of the keyboard, fully programmable chiclet keys with macro capabilities, media jacks (audio out, microphone in), and Tron lighting alerts triggered by in-game actions. This one will sell for $150 in the fourth quarter of 2010.

Along with a keyboard, Razer is also releasing a Tron Gaming Mouse ($100) with the same lighting effects. It features an ambidextrous design, a 5600dpi 3.5g laser sensor, 7 buttons, and a braided 7-foot USB cable. For $30 more, Razer will toss in a Tron Gaming Mousepad, again with lighting effects and a bioluminescent tracking glow trail.
Via:  Razer
Comments
Chainzsaw 4 years ago

Awesome. I like the keyboard, mouse and mouse pad. Too bad they aren't wireless though.

acarzt 4 years ago

My thoughts exactly chainzsaw. I don't think they make any wireless products... sure would be nice tho...

Nethersprite 4 years ago

Not really; the lighting effects would drain battery life like heck.

@3vi1 Agreed about the mouse, how could they have missed that opportunity? This mouse doesn't look comfortable at all.

AKwyn 4 years ago

While the lighting effects are cool. I don't know any gamers or non-tron fans who would plop down $100 for this when they can get a Logitech or even lower priced Razer mouse that does mostly the same thing as the Tron mouse? If it had some unique features then I might be all for it.

inspector 4 years ago

I'll plop down 30 for the mouse pad... :D. It looks awesome! But as for keyboard and mouse, i rather not :D.

fat78 4 years ago

always love there keyboards and headsets. won one of their razer lycosa mirror keyboard and head set last summer in a mountain dew contest and they are still working great. But prefer the g9 logitech mouse over theres

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="fat78"]But prefer the g9 logitech mouse over theres[/quote]

You like that mouse? How do you manage to use it with the way you have to unnecessarily do stuff just so you can get a different feel.

Anyways, the keyboard and the surface is the only thing I remotely like, the mouse; not so much. They could of done better with the mouse though; and I don't think that a wireless mouse would compare equally to a wired gaming mouse due to potential issues like the signal and battery life.

animatortom 4 years ago

I wonder how much these wil be six months after the movie looses hype. I an sure the Avatar keyboard is still 200?

I do love the keyboard, I just wish it were half that price! The Mousepad is cool as well...but $30?!

I do want that for my next keyboard...but I will have to wait until the MCP gets defeated so the price gets cut in half :P

mentaldisorder 4 years ago

What a terrible mouse, looks flat to me. Interesting keyboard, I really wish i saved some more cash and got the lycosa instead of the arctosa. I really like the blue lights.

The keys on that keyboard seems a bit odd...reminds me of a mac keyboard.

3vi1 4 years ago

- I like the keyboard.

- The mouse could have been raised and curved a little bit more to make it more reminiscent of the light cycles.

- The mousepad's missing concentric circles that would give it more a Disc of Tron look.

I don't hate them, but they could have done better. I'd consider the keyboard, if I didn't think it was 2x overpriced.

acarzt 4 years ago

Yea, razor does charge way too much for their products.

Optix 4 years ago

Nice eye candy, bad price.

Cool trinkets none the less.

ClemSnide 4 years ago

Y'all speak to my condition. I think the only part of the package I'd buy is the mouse pad-- despite my well-known dislike of expensive "extreme gaming surfaces," a luminous trail would be nifty.

I do have to wonder how long the appeal of these would last? Sure, you see the new version, you rent the old version, you play the new videogame, you download the (emulated) old videogame onto your iPhone, and in this haze of Tronomania, you buy a keyboard that lights up.

Three months later, it's doing the same flashy stuff and your roommate wakes up every time it indicates you have an IM, so he throws it out the dorm window.

And, of course, there are better and cheaper mice; I can see why the keyboard is wired (wirelss keyboards confuse me-- what, you're sitting back in your Barcalounger working on the quarterly audit on your plasma TV?), but since using a wireless mouse I'll not go back to a tethered one. The Logitech MX Revolution I use is superb and I think it'll serve me for ages to come.

acarzt 4 years ago

lol.... my wireless keyboard stays put for the most part... but Occasionally I will sit back in my chair and place the keyboard on my lap. it's very convenient.

Also I would like a nice keyboard with a good range for the living room.