Prior to His Death, Segway Company Owner Donated 1K Transporters to U.S. Vets

James Heselden, the late Segway company owner, died last weekend. It was ironic in two ways: he died after driving his ruggedized Segway off a cliff and into the River Wharfe, and he was about to be honored for donating 1,000 Segways to U.S. veterans.

Jerry Kerr, president and co-founder of Disability Rights Advocates for Technology (DRAFT) said:
"We were so looking forward to thanking Jimi in person and are pained that we will not be able to do so. Jimi's tragic death is a staggering loss."
DRAFT sponsors the Segs4Vets program, which provides Segway transporters to help injured veterans become mobile. Although worth around $265 million and ranked 395th on the Sunday Times Rich List, Heselden was known for his generosity. Two years ago, he founded the Leeds Community Foundation in his home city with a £10million donation, which he followed with a £3million donation in 2009 and another £10million last week.

The first of the Segways are to be delivered to 48 vets, some still receiving treatment at the U.S. Army's Walter Reed Medical Center, on Oct. 6 at the Marine Corps War Memorial.

While Heselden's death coincidentally occurred just before a study was released that found increasing frequency and severity among Segway injuries. Kerr dismissed that.
"The Segway is among the safest, if not the safest, mobility devices out there."
James Heselden bought the Segway company less than a year ago from its U.S. inventor Dean Kamen. There are currently no further details available about Heselden's death, according to the company.
Via:  MSNBC
Tags:  Segway, Iraq, Afghanistan
Comments
lonewolf 4 years ago

Again I say RIP James Heselden may Segway continue in your honor.

animatortom 4 years ago

Thats very cool!

I would say he is a patriot! Sorry..Was.

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]I would say he is a patriot![/quote]

Yes, a true patriot, and an accomplished inventor. I liked his donation of 1000 Segways to American Vets, and I think he was as forward thinking an inventor as there ever was.

I read a bio of him just now, (IT'S RIGHT HERE) it shows that he did much to improve the world around him. We are all better off because of his ideas.

Wilted Flower Although we don't know it yet, we'll miss him. Wilted Flower

inspector 4 years ago

RIP, we shall all miss you and your generosity! :(

SEdwards 4 years ago

He wasn't the inventor, and he was British.

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="SEdwards"]

He wasn't the inventor, and he was British.

THIS SAYS DIFFERENT

emmetgibney 4 years ago

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="emmetgibney"] @realneil you have confused the two men with each other, if you read the report above you'll see that it wasn't the inventor who died. The inventor sold the company to the Brit James Heselden. The inventor Dean Kamen whom you are linking to, is still alive, and no longer owns the company [/quote]

I stand corrected. I didn't mean to spread BS around. The man I was referring to is American and did invent the Segway.

I've read a little more about Mr. Heselden, the Brit, and he was a heck of a Philanthropist.

gibbersome 4 years ago

Agreed, an inspiration to the rest of us!

NPep 4 years ago

He was a great guy and his donations will always be appreciated, but I must say that the Segway is really the worst gift for a disabled veteran. I mean, you need to use your hands, legs, and load your back by standing, so if any of those body parts are injured (and most of the times they are), you'll have a much harder time using it. That's why electric wheel chairs are much better.

I have to say, I'm a bit biased, because I see driving a Segway instead of walking as plain lazy and stupid (I can easily outrun or even outwalk one!), but I do think what I said above is correct (as a lot of researches will confirm).

Dave_HH 4 years ago

I think the story is more about a guy donating whatever resources he had to a worthy cause, regardless of how efficient or practical it was. A lot of folks likely benefited one way or another.

3vi1 4 years ago

I think we can all agree on one thing:

He was either a great patriot, or a nutcase who was killed by the same machine he planned to use to kill veterans. Or, he wanted a tax break.

Okay, we can all agree on TWO things...

Dave_HH 4 years ago

LOL, who's the nutcase, evi1?

3vi1 4 years ago

Takes one to know one, I suppose. :)

bigtony2691 one year ago

Well what he did was noble.