PowerColor PCS+ HD 4870 1GB GDDR5

There is no way to categorize AMD's recent launch of the RV770 graphics processor powering the Radeon HD 4800 series of cards as anything other than a resounding success. Cards based on the GPU hit the scene offering very strong performance in their respective price brackets, and forced rival NVIDIA to react with a quick round of price cuts that will surely eat into NVIDIA's margins on the gigantic 65nm GT200 chip. Although actual sales figures aren't available just yet, we suspect AMD is going to show strong sales of every member of the Radeon HD 4800 series.

One common concern among analysts and users of AMD's latest flagship GPU has been heat, however. Virtually every evaluation of a reference Radeon HD 4800 series cards makes some mention of the extreme heat radiated by the cards. But PowerColor may have an answer. We recently got a hold of PowerColor's PCS+ HD 4870 card that features a completely redesigned cooler, with multiple heat-pipes and a dense array of aluminum heatsink fins, which the company claims can lower GPU temps by upwards of 10'C. And for good measure, PowerColor also pre-overclocks the cards and packs on 1GB of GDDR5 memory, double that of the initial lot of reference cards.

Considering the relative popularity of the Radeon HD 4870, we were eager to see what this custom variant had in store. Read on to see what PowerColor PCS+ HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 can really do and decide whether it's worth the extra investment...

PowerColor PCS+ HD 4870 1GB GDDR5
Via:  HotHardware
Tags:  DDR, HD, PC, GDDR5, Power, PCs, Powercolor, 4870, color, GB, R5
Comments
kid007 6 years ago

I would be the first to say that, I have supported AMD/ATI from the beginning when they did the merged. all i said is let them get their act together and look they have come out with performances based video cards. I'm very happy so happy that my new system will have two.

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

Its a impressive looking card like the heatpipes and if mone wasnt and issue I would like one!

warlord 6 years ago

Solid offering and Amd really needs some good in the world of bad they have at the minute.

kid007 6 years ago

wardlord you should know that every company has their challenges. and when they got bought by amd they had to brainstorm how they could help one another grow. is what we call in marketing developing stage for any business.

And they are doing it very very well...

epale1 6 years ago

hi GFX experts, I was just wondering whether it is possible to crossfire one 512MB 4870 and one 1GB 4870?

I have the 512MB 4870 at the moment and I plan to crossfire it with another card in the future. With the enticing 1GB 4870 out now, I am not really sure how to make the right decision.

What will be performance be like? If i mix two cards with different amounts of ram (if it is possible).

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="epale1"]

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

It will only use 512mb of memory if you use the 1gb card with the 512mb card for a total of 1gb.