Origin Announces Lifetime Warranty in Wake of Sandy Bridge Chipset SNAFU

Intel's 'little' screw-up with its 6-Series chipsets for the recently launched Sandy Bridge platform will cost the company an estimated $700 million to fix and repair affected boards and systems, with some saying the cost is likely to be closer to $1 billion. But the SNAFU has also left OEM system builders between a rock and a hard place. Customers who already purchased a Sandy Bridge rig are understandably miffed, and according to Intel, new parts that address the potentially fatal design flaw won't ship until March.

Making the best of a bad situation, Origin sent us word that it's implementing a lifetime warranty for all Sandy Bridge boards with a borked chipset. Here are the options, as Origin lays them out:
  1. We can wait for the resolution to become available. We are continuing to work closely with Intel. New motherboards are expected within the next 4-6 weeks. Once received, we will build it into your system and ship it out.
  2. We can ship your system as-is. As it stands, your system should work without any issues. Once we have the solution, we will contact you again and arrange whatever is needed to resolve the issue for you. Please note that this will not cost you anything. Any and all labor, part replacement, and shipping will be covered by Origin for you.
  3. We can add a SATA II Multi-port add-on card to your system. This card will replace the SATA II ports on your chipset and resolve any possible long term issues. There will be no charge for this upgrade. Origin will take care of that for you.
  4. We change your order to another chipset of your choice. Just contact us and we will be happy to update your order details. Once done, we will move forward with your system.

It's safe to say Origin is going above and beyond the call of duty, so to speak. Shipping to-and-fro is probably the biggest "gotcha" in this whole messy scenario, but with Origin offering to eat the costs, at worst consumers are out a bit of time.

So where does the lifetime warranty come into play? Those who choose option #2 will receive lifetime coverage for their motherboard, which will also include shipping, labor, and the whole shebang.
Via:  HH Newsfeed
Comments
acarzt 3 years ago

This is a smart move on their part, if it sways customers to purchase from them because of this.

According to intel, only about 1% or their motherboards are affected, and it takes 3 years to happen...

Those are pretty good odds for Origin that nothing will happen.

SammyHayabuza 3 years ago

An easy solution would be to just move the Hard drives to the Sata 6gb/s ports and leave the optical drives in the Sata 2.

Sergeimm 3 years ago

It is a smart move. I never hurd of Origin, are they relevant to the market? All mobo manufacurers should do the same. Also lifetime warrany is a good idea anyway.

JMooney 3 years ago

Sergeimm

OriginPC was founded by the engineers that used to build Alienware systems. They left Dell and opened this company in early 2010 and have sold about 1200 systems both desktop/tower and notebooks. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for, and then some! I using their  Eon 15 notebook to write this note...

i7 840m, 4Gb DDR3 1333, 500Gb Hybrid Hdd, GTX 460m, Full HD screen

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="JMooney"]OriginPC was founded by the engineers that used to build Alienware systems. [/quote]

And they're a company that has provided prize computer systems to our site for giveaways to our participants. They build some excellent systems.

[quote user="JMooney"]i7 840m, 4Gb DDR3 1333, 500Gb Hybrid Hdd, GTX 460m, Full HD screen[/quote]

Sounds like a nice laptop.

infinityzen1 3 years ago

Serqeimm,

Orgin is a high end boutique pc builder. Their in the same range as Falcon NW, Smooth Creations, etc. Plus their Genesis PC starts at $1337! With a price like that you know their great.

realneil 3 years ago

Around here it's known that Origin PC's are quality built, as we've had plenty of experience with the brand already. They build lots of style into their PC as well.

Inspector 3 years ago

Giving lifetime warranty is like a trick there. Most would probably never stick to one mobo for 3 years.

Sergeimm 3 years ago

You never know I still have my pentium 4 :( Its just nice to have that warranty anyway. Also lets say your mobo dies in 4 years and they do not make the same mobo anymore, would you get a free upgrade or somekind of credit?

InfinityzeN1 and realneil, and I though ausis was the way to go..... still shows I have a lot to learn ... I was so ready to do my first ever build with i5 2500 k this month and intel just ruined my plans .......

ooops I just realized that Origin is not a component brand but a builder like syber power lol duhhhhh

realneil 3 years ago

I have 4 old PC's that still work. One is an old Thunderbird System and I have Ubuntu loaded onto it.  It works fine with Linux on it.

coolice 3 years ago

Hmm.... Meh, Intels providing with a fix anyway i believe.... about origin, dont take me the wrong way, even though they took the initiative to reach the public and provide all these wonderful options for their clients.... it feels like they're just leeching on Intels apologetic PR-campaign.

rapid1 3 years ago

realneil I think one of the things about system builders specifically is we make sure our systems are cooled etc. So it would make sense that your old system's would still work. I know I personally clean mine out, and check fans, change out whatever cooling solution I am using between my heatsinks etc. The normal user never opens there box period.

As far as Origin goes I would put them a step above many boutique builders from what I've heard about them on here or in general in forums. They seem to make sure all there components work down to the finest detail etc. etc. If I was going to go with a system from a builder like that I don't think I would go anywhere else really.