Oops! AVG Virus Scanner Crashes Computers

Many techs will agree: antivirus programs can be a hassle. Mostly, the issues tend to stem from slower performance and similar issues that result from using an antivirus program. Still, it’s a bit of a lesser of two evils deal: you can risk getting a virus, or you can deal with lags in performance. Usually, you can count on well-known antivirus programs to only touch malicious files, but this isn’t always the case.

AVG, a free antivirus scanner, recently created problems for some of its users when it mistook user32.dll, a critical Windows component, for a container for the Trojan Horses PSW.Banker4.APSA or Generic9TBN. When the scanner activated, it assumed this critical file was a virus and deleted it, causing users’ systems to crash.

The problem stemmed from a new virus definition file. As a result, AVG recommended that its users who receive updated definitions automatically disable this auto-update feature and cancel any scans that are currently running.

The problem originally appeared limited to Windows XP systems, though some Vista users have also reported issues. Computers that are affected will either stop booting entirely or will go through an endless reboot loop. To resolve the issue, affected users must carry out a bothersome repair process, which includes reinstalling Windows, repairing the OS with a Windows disk, or using a boot disc to grab the files you need from the C:\Windows\System32\dllcache directory.

Both AVG 7.5 and AVG 8.0 were affected by the faulty definition file. The good news is that the file has since been updated to remove the error.

We’re not trying to dog on AVG here. After all, the company does protect many a computer from harm. It just goes to show that it’s a scary digital world from which no computer is safe. Alternatives to AVG exist, as well. Some are free, some are paid, but no antivirus seems to be perfect.
Via:  DailyTech
Comments
squid267 6 years ago

Wow, that could be very frustrating, you gotta reinstall Windows, get all your files back! That sucks.

nelsoncp21 6 years ago

I used to use them awhile back. Kinda glad I don't anymore with this kinda news. So what good free security software is good out there now or is it pretty much the same one's we've all heard about for the past several years.

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

Well like the man said OOPS!

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

This is one reason I don't use anti virus on a daily basis. Good thing to because I use AVG and I run it every week or so. Start a scan then go to bed so I can wake up to all the scary cookies it finds.

digitaldd 6 years ago

I rememebr when mcafee, f-secure & norton all had similar issues with false positives neither of those got as much press as AVG did with this one.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="digitaldd"]

Because those guys have a good marketing budget.

Drago 6 years ago

LOL this is about as bad as the problems HP had with their AMD comps being updated to xp sp3 and getting stuck in a reboot loop. Now i got some more ammo for getting my friends to switch from AVG *cough* POS *cough* to Avast. Both free, but Avast has so much more better stuff and smaller memory footprint less impact on performance, and the ability to do a boot time scan before windows loads to get rid of them pesky trojans that reinfect your computer upon login.

InfinityzeN 6 years ago

Sa'why I use Avast myself.

rapid1 6 years ago

lol Drago spybot has had the same preboot and OS guard avast has since its second year of existence and before Avast existed at all now it has that and all kind of goodies to boot and has had most of those at least 2 years I must ask why doesn't everyone keep a solid backup and remove antivirus all together and use a bit of common sense then your computer runs better and faster I scan now and again but haven't used antivirus continually ever Oh and I've been on the internet or at least it's initial form since 88-89 I've had 2 virus's in my life only one was fatal

Paul Olivenza Jr 6 years ago

I was a victim of this screw up . . . luckily my system survived it . . . I put everything on manual now.