Next-Gen AMD Bobcat and Bulldozer CPU Deep Dive

Yesterday, we chided AMD for its decision not to reveal more details about Bulldozer and Bobcat, but it turns out we didn't have all the facts. AMD was planning on disclosing more information later in the day at Hot Chips—but the company failed to disclose that tid-bit before we went live with our previous coverage. We're going to take a look at the new information about Bobcat and Bulldozer that's subsequently been revealed; if you want more general backround data you can get it here...

Next-Gen AMD Bobcat and Bulldozer CPU Deep Dive

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
acarzt 4 years ago

I'm hoping this chip(bulldozer) can compete with Intel for the crown in performance.

AMD really needs something that can compete!

I'm suspecting Intels next chip could be a devastating blow to AMD tho.

Also there really needs to be more competition in the netbook market, so i'm really looking forward to seeing what bobcat can do!

Drago 4 years ago

I call shenanigans on the Palmer quote.  That *** hole's only job is to clean out a company and sell it to the highest bidder.  He knows absolutely nothing about technology.  Get your facts straight before you go quoting some lewser who makes money by bankrupting and laying off hundreds of thousands of people.

Joel H 4 years ago

Draco,

So let me get this straight. Because you think Robert Palmer is a meanie, I'm misquoting him? Or are you simply claiming that because you think he's a talentless evil hack, he's also automatically wrong?

This is a quote I first heard during a visit to AMD some years back, where it was anecdotally attributed to Jerry Sanders. Further research on my part turned up the fact that while Sanders has said it, Robert Palmer is generally credited with having said it first. But I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it--how about an eight-year-old article on CNN?

or maybe a smidge of information from the Motley Fool, though the version of the quote there is somewhat different?

In fact, this was a difficult quote to track down--in many places it's not attributed to anyone, or to "a high-ranking board member of a microprocessor company." In the few places where it is attributed, it's attributed to Palmer. Please note that I performed this research before I put the quote in the article, as opposed to finding a phrase I liked and slapping it on a random CEO from the mid 1990s.

I hereby dismiss your claim of Shenanigans with prejudice and sentence you to exhaustively review the spelling of the word "loser." This court would also like to remind you that a little judicious Googling can help prevent dreaded foot-in-mouth disease

This court is now adjourned.

Dave_HH 4 years ago

Now Joel, be nice to the members. LOL! Seriously, I love the passionate debates. :)

Joel H 4 years ago

I was nice. You didn't think that was nice? I thought I was angelic.

bigtallsob 4 years ago

i hope this really works for AMD. intel needs some proper competition.

Der Meister 4 years ago

Whats next Steam Roller???? lol... but seriously AMD has not had a big hitting chip since the Athlon and FX series... Intel since the C2D has had the upper had as far a pure performance goes. AMD has become the budget chip

Joel H 4 years ago

Der Meister,

AMD already used SteamHammer--How about Death Mallet? ;)

rapid1 4 years ago

rofl "Death Mallet" (now AMD is proud to introduce to the world our new processor architecture the Death Mallet). I think they should call it the piping hot roll or the cupcake. The cupcake would be my favorite, and of course the triple chocolate chip cupcake would be the best one, the value on would be the strawberry cupcake, and general users would like the Vanilla cupcake.

No seriously I hope these blow some Intel market share to shreds in large chunks. That is how we got the core 2 duo the last time AMD blew some chunks outta Intel's a66. So it is good for the world. These processors all sound nice for the respective markets. The Phenom did to when they first announced it.

So I am excited, but I will wait until my favorite hardware nerds in the whole world Dave and Marco get some test silicone piping hot from the AMD oven!

Marius Malek 4 years ago

I like AMD, I really do. But when I consider computer builds I just seem to always go Intel because it seems like the better choice and more stable with the hardware that I chose.

I REALLY want to use kickass AMD processors but the fact that they are just a little behind in overall performance my OCD always strays away from choosing them.

So, I hope that they can knock Intel off their block. The fiercer the competition the more likely we'll get something great out of it.

Joel H 4 years ago

Marius,

I'm guessing you didn't build many systems from 2000-2001, or 2004-2006. Once Hammer hit, AMD led for several years until Intel unleashed Core. From 2006 - Present Day, AMD has actually maintained a decent price/performance ratio overall...but I don't really disagree with your reasons for choosing Intel.

bigtallsob 4 years ago

one thing ilike about amd is how they keep a lot of processors backwards compatible, for example, i had an athlon 5200+ in my old rig, then i got a phenom II 965 and dropped it right in and got a huge performance boost. with intel, most upgrades from intel that would produce a noticable improvement require a board upgrade as well, cause they have 3 different sockets.

animatortom 4 years ago

This is a good foreshadowing of what is going to happen to AMD/ATI stock...It will be bulldozedHmm

Their box store marketing model doesnt work on CPU's. You cant just try and sell a bunch of cheap disposable Chinese products to the masses, without providing quality and good customer service!