Microsoft's Fake OS Gets a Web Site

Earlier we wrote about how Microsoft used a kind of blind taste test to get die-hard Windows XP users to try Vista --- and that they even liked it. They were told that they were trying a new OS, called Mojave. We also said that Microsoft hadn't figured out a marketing campaign, but it appears that's changed.

Microsoft last week interviewed XP users who were skeptical of Vista and showed them what it called a secret new version of Windows, "Mojave." It was in fact Vista. The results, according to Microsoft executives, were almost universally positive, with participants expressing surprise when told it was actually Vista they had been using.

For now, Microsoft has put up a teaser site, with plans to show the actual video footage next week.

Although the video was compelling and entertaining, at least some of the people I talked to who saw the video at Thursday's analyst meeting also stressed that early demos of Vista also looked good. The video, necessarily, doesn't show what it is like to, say, install software or hook Vista up to a home network. My guess is the participants didn't have to endure frequent User Account Control notifications either.

Yes, as we wrote earlier Microsoft designed the UAC to annoy, so we re-assert that if Microsoft added in, say, driver issues, compatibility issues, installation issues, and the UAC to the demo, they might have had a different result.  Still, the video ought to be interesting to watch, when it appears.  See above for the website "appearance" right now.
Via:  News.com
Tags:  Microsoft, Web, OS, MIC, icrosoft, Micro, K
Comments
3DtoHD 6 years ago
I'm a Diehard XP fan, and to be honest trying out vista was a great experience. The only downside was in gaming, my system is fairly outdated (About 4yrs or so) Therefore my gaming experience on vista was below average.
Dave_HH 6 years ago

I run Vista now full time and aside from the occasional memory leaks which could likely be from other third party apps, I like it pretty well. It's not perfect but it's not as bad as some make it out to be, at least in my opinion anyway.

Crisis Causer 6 years ago

I've never used Vista, but I'm sure if it has as many problems as they say, people would have had problems if the used it more.  I'm sure they barely scratched the surface.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago
It doesn't have as many problems as they say. I have been using vista since it came out and I love it. It has a lot of little things that I miss when using XP. I hear a lot about how it sucks for gaming and 3DtoHD might have problems with a older computer but its such a small margin that its not noticeable unless your a benchmark freak which is just a whole other can of worms. Plus World in Conflict looks SWEET in DirectX 10!
kid007 6 years ago
I have vista in my work laptop and i love it. at home i have xp (i been lazy) but i really like vista what i hate is that how office and Microsoft Dynamics eats all my memory from my work laptop!
nECrO1967 6 years ago
I ran Vista for a month and only had real issues with gaming. The only other issue was with memory usage. I was dual booting with XP Pro and my 2 gigs that ran XP like a charm, was very sluggish in Vista. I'm told I could have tweaked it to regain some memory, but I got sick of "tweaking". :)

I am curious as to the level of tech expertize of the sample participants. Just for my own curiosity, not to shoot holes in the story.
Anonymous 6 years ago
Incase you guys have not checked the videos on the website of the experiment are up now.
ice91785 6 years ago

Whether Vista is good or bad or halfway in-between, letting these testers use it for a relatively small handful of time does not accurately show what the OS is or is not capable of -- they need to increase the time alotted and give these testers some software to install, test, and various networking-type sharing (as this is what many consumers do consistantly anyway). Instead of just playing around for like a half hour or less these people would then get a chance to actually USE it for a purpose....

This then would be able to be a less biased experiment.....

adamplays 6 years ago

Vista was never really as bad as it was made out to be...

OKAY- maybe when it first launched and had hardware driver issues with EVERYTHING that was a big deal, but if you have the right rig to run it with, (i.e. 2 gigs of ram MINIMUM/ 4 gigs would be better), its a very nice OS that is just as, if not more so, functional as XP.