Microsoft Outs "Kinect" Pricing, New Console

If you've been anxiously awaiting Microsoft's Kinect motion controller, get in line - so has everyone else. While you're waiting, work on coming to terms with the fact that it isn't going to be cheap. Microsoft announced pricing for its Kinect sensor this week, saying it will sell the device for $150, which comes with "Kinect Adventures," a game filled with "20 adventures."

"Kinect for Xbox 360 offers tremendous entertainment value for the whole family," said Dennis Durkin, Xbox 360 chief operating officer. "With full body, voice, and the ability to play games with your friends right out of the box, Kinect is the most unique, complete, and affordable way for everyone to enjoy controller-free fun and entertainment."

Calling it "affordable" is up for debate, at least as a standalone product. A little more intriguing is a new Xbox 360 bundle, which includes an Xbox 360 4GB console, the Kinect sensor, and "Kinect Adventures" for $300. Even then, gamers are likely to scoff at 300 clams for an HDD-less console.

If you're not put off by the price, Microsoft says select retailers have begun taking pre-orders for both the console bundle and standalone motion controller. The two will begin shipping on August 3, 2010.
Via:  Microsoft
Comments
fat78 4 years ago

kinda want to see the games it has in action

inspector 4 years ago

Fat, whaa?

Time to save up some money! but not for this... lol. I can see my self getting very tired from this, depending on how you have to move to control the moves... But would be an excellent experience, the first time then push it aside and get back to my computer...

lol Inspector

Sounds like what happened for me with me Wii. Played it for a while... then I got over the ohhhhh ahhhhh factor and stopped playing it lol

Inspector 4 years ago

[quote user="acarzt"]

lol Inspector

I use to have a wii... till it turned in to a xbox 360... The Wii is just not for me or any system where you have to move around too much... lazy me :(

acarzt 4 years ago

I bought a wii on launch... played it for a few months... then sold it.... Now i have an other one lol

fat78 4 years ago

You sound out of shape if this is going to make you tired.

AKwyn 4 years ago

I don't know, I've never touched a Wii so this might be enticing to me. Besides, I wonder what the developers will do with the Kinect hardware, rather then just make tons of knockoff games for it.

sackyhack 4 years ago

I hope this whole motion control thing blows over, even though I doubt it will. Obviously the companies want to make more money by breaking into the family-friendly market, but they're leaving behind the hardcore gamers that built them up. I watched E3 and I didn't see a single motion-controlled-centric game, whether it was Kinect or Move, that appealed to me.

acarzt 4 years ago

Yea... i'm right there with you Sacky... none of the games looked interesting to me. It just feels like an other gimmick. I blame it all on the Wii... it started this mess.

People saw the Wii and it's gimmicky controller and thought, if they can do it so can we...

So then 3D TV came back lol and now this crap.

Chainzsaw 4 years ago

I saw some E3 footage of the Kinect...and it looks like it's made for 10 year olds. The games look too much like Wii games and seem to play like old school super nes games.

Now if they made it so it worked for COD MW2 or Black Ops...that would be bad ass. I would love to "hold" a gun and aim it at the enemies.

slugbug 4 years ago

They demo'd it On the Jimmy Fallon show last month and it looked kind of cool. I doubt I'll buy one, mostly because I don't have the room to jump around and do handstands etc in my home theater room.

sackyhack 4 years ago

I have to admit though, that Child of Eden game looked great, especially since I'm a huge Rez fan.  If it lives up to Rez's legacy, I might have to drop some cash on either Move or Kinect.  I'm waiting to see which one it plays better on.

acarzt 4 years ago

You guys got any sweet vids of Kinect in action?

fat78 4 years ago

You want a good action game play battlefield.

(Best game ever)

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="fat78"]

You want a good action game play battlefield.

(Best game ever)

Which Battlefield is that fat78?

And try to contribute more, you're like another Charlie Brown here.

Inspector 4 years ago

Battlefield Bad Company 2! :D. I got tired of this game as well...

sackyhack 4 years ago

acarzt, here's a video of some racing game:

And this is that Child of Eden game I was talking about:

fat78 4 years ago

if you played battlefield on the xbox i know why you got tired of it, but on the pc it is sick as long as you got a decent enough computer to run it.

AKwyn 4 years ago

fat78, the experience is mostly the same on both platforms. What with the difference of using a mouse to aim, I don't see any difference between the console and PC versions. And I consider Battlefield 2 to be the best game in the series.

acarzt 4 years ago

FPS games are best when played with a mouse. Hands down, no contest, controllers just can't compete.

fat78 4 years ago

Yea battlefield 2 is sick but it is geting out old.

(never played the xbox version only pc)

fat78 4 years ago

Or its because console gamers just suck.

(i am going with this because this makes me feel more skilled at gaming. If you dont like it i dont care because i am skilled.)

fat78 4 years ago

Also mouses make the gameplay much faster, and i think the fast gameplay makes the game draw the player into the game more.

acarzt 4 years ago

Moving the mouse to aim a gun at someones head is just a natural occurance for me lol

With the sticks it's harder to aim accurately, you have to gently tap the stick, and then it goes to far and you have to correct and blah blah blah.... With a mouse.. I point and shoot and death follows lol

fat78 4 years ago

I'm sticking with pc gamers are better

animatortom 4 years ago

I agree Acarzt,

Maybe they will have a nerf style gun that gives a more accurate reading from Kinect?

I always like the Duckhunt style light guns intead of the whole FPS style game! If you cant lift a plastic gun then you are just lazy and should not be playing war games:P  Go play WOW with your wrist-strap girlfriend as backup!

And yes I still play my driving sims with the force feedback wheels! AND my flight sims with a flight Yoke!

fat78 4 years ago

yea but plastic guns only work well on shooting gallery games, not ones where you have to move around.

animatortom 4 years ago

They would actually work better if they had motion markers on them like the ones they use when Mo-Caping data!

It would be far more acurate than trying to move around using nothing.

acarzt 4 years ago

Yea using a plastic gun to shoot at stuff is a pain. And it would be very difficult to move around and shoot at the same time.

Those are best left to a game that is on a set path and all you have to do is cover or come out of cover lol

fat78 4 years ago

those games used to be the bomb. loved playing them on the old arcade machines when i was a kid.

acarzt 4 years ago

yea, I had Time Crysis on the PSX and I had the gun and everything... i would cheat and get right up on the screen lol

sackyhack 4 years ago

Heh, thought I was the only one that did that.  My favorite though had to be House of the Dead 3 arcade with that giant plastic shotgun.    Either that or the old Terminator arcade game with the machine gun.

acarzt 4 years ago

lol... yea... what's funny tho is that even at point blank range I would still miss! lol

Major fail

Don't hate lol

It's old tech... it wasn't very accurate lol

fat78 4 years ago

Dont blame the game blame the player

lol

sackyhack 4 years ago

mouses?? Anyway, that's a bit of a generalization. For FPS and RTS's, sure, mouse and keyboard combo is better, but some games just don't work with M&K. Try playing Street Fighter 4 with a keyboard against someone with a controller. They'll be dancing around you. It's not about console gamers being less skilled. Also, m&k can sometimes be TOO good. I played Dead Space, and it was hardly as scary as described because it was so easy to knock off limbs with mouse aim. I think I would've had a completely different experience if I played it with a controller.

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="fat78"]

Or its because console gamers just suck.

That's a lie, I have seen many console gamers familiarized with the gamepad kill a lot of people.

The problem with console FPS's is that it's hard to get precise kills, mainly because you have to push it and it takes some skill to keep it on the enemy. While the mouse is much more accurate and precise, I feel like console gamers are more skilled because they're able to use an Xbox 360 gamepad to kill a lot of people.

fat78 4 years ago

First that sentance was ment as a joke and second i dont see how console gamers that use gamepads killing other people with gamepads shows that they are better then some one who uses a mouse  to kill people who also use a mouse.

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="fat78"]

Cause they're able to use something that wasn't entirely designed for first person shooting, (think GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64). Second, I didn't intend that they were better, I said that since they were able to manage to be the best with the tools that aren't really compatible, they're the best for the Xbox 360 and PS3, sure some console gamers might be good on the PC with a mouse but they are the best on the consoles.

Sure a mouse is easier to use and more precise but tell me, does it really matter what tools he has (mouse or controller (gamepad to you)).

animatortom 4 years ago

Its a good thing they don't train our soldiers with a mouse or a gamepad!  The real first person shooter Would loose with either of those! Indifferent

Taylorkarras:

"I feel like console gamers are more skilled because they're able to use an Xbox 360 gamepad to kill a lot of people."

i guess this senstance can be miss misinterpreted as to think someone ment console gamers are better then pc gamers.

and saying there is more skill involed because you have to use a gamepad, " which wasnt entirely designed for shooters", is bad because you play against other people using the same thing

(i think the controll you use makes a big difference when playing games. some one who mainly plays pc games may have trouble with xbox games and vice versa.)

acarzt 4 years ago

I have no problem jumping back and forth between the 2... but I hands down prefer my mouse and keyboard.

I think if you took the best gamer on console vs the best of the PC world... and had them battle using their respective tools... I think the PC games would win.

Someone should host an epic PC and Console tournament of the same game seperately to weed out the best on each platform... and then pit them against each other cross platform and see who comes out alive :-D

sackyhack 4 years ago

Shadowrun's the only game like that I can think of, but nobody plays that, not even when it was released.

I remember when Halo came out, I was a pretty avid pc gamer.  I was actually rather good at Alien vs. Predator and was in an online clan, moving up the ranks.  But my friends who only played Halo on Xbox would always destroy me in Halo deathmatches.

animatortom 4 years ago
Well Yall's Prayers have been answered!

Check out the new trailer,Long one,It is Friken awesome!!!!

Personally I like the game controller and even use it on the PC, With the mouse and keyboard in the dark, it gets so frustrating I want to throw them out the window!

You even kinda get a fakeout of Wonder Womans Rack:P

fat78 4 years ago

My dad would love to try this game. he is so addicted to comics and loves mmos.

fat78 4 years ago

I wasnt trying to say pc gamers cant play console or the other way around i was just saying one may prefer using one over the other. And yes the best pc player probably would beat a console at fps games and thats why they shouldnt be mixed to fight togather.

acarzt 4 years ago

Oh I am dangerous in shooter games on the console... but i'm even more deadly with a keyboard and mouse!

I do need a new mouse tho...

sackyhack 4 years ago

Funny you should say that. There's a rumor that Microsoft canceled cross-platform play between 360 and pc because in trials of Gears of War the 360 players were consistently getting destroyed by pc players.

acarzt 4 years ago

lol! Yes! The mouse is just far more accurate than a controller.

It's more natural to aim with a mouse because you're aiming with your hand instead of moving a pair of sticks around to aim.

AKwyn 4 years ago

That and the fact that the sticks don't make for such a good aiming device in fast-placed shooter games.

Man I cant wait for Kinect, I know its expensive but It has voice recognition, I could use it for watching movies and I could have Video Chat with friends too.

acarzt 4 years ago

That second game was wierd.... I couldn't tell what the guy was doing...

sackyhack 4 years ago

Yeah both this and Rez are pretty trippy games.  They're on-rails shooters, kinda like the Panzer Dragoon games if you remember those.  The point is supposed to be "synesthesia", where shooting things down changes the music and colors displayed.  People say you need to be high to enjoy it, but I think it's so weird that if you were high it'd give you a bad trip and make you jump out of a window or something.  I love Rez, so I'm really looking forward to Child of Eden.

animatortom 4 years ago

I wonder how long it will take them to make a Kinect Hentai game?

Devil_Dante 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]

I wonder how long it will take them to make a Kinect Hentai game?

Haha, I'm sure it won't be too long before some third-party game company makes one. Though I'd never seriously play it, I wonder how that would work..