Microsoft Confirms: 40 Million Licenses Of Windows 8 Have Been Sold

What if you sold 40 million of something in a month? If you're Microsoft, that's not just a hypothetical question. With Windows 8 on store shelves for just over a month now, the company has today announced that 40 million licenses have been sold, up from four million that it announced four days after launch. Yes, it has a long ways to go to catch Windows 7, which reached the 600,000,000 mark in June, but according to Microsoft, sales of Win8 are outpacing sales of Win7 when looking at a similar time table.

Curiously, Microsoft has still yet to comment on sales of the Surface tablet, which likely means they don't really have anything to brag about. That said, have you taken the Win8 plunge? Happy you did?
Via:  Windows
Comments
3vi1 one year ago

>> "but according to Microsoft, sales of Win8 are outpacing sales of Win7 when looking at a similar time table."

REDMOND, Wash., March 26, 2007 — "Windows Vista license sales after one month of availability have already exceeded the total of Windows XP license sales in the earlier product’s first two months" -- Microsoft

I think the reality is that Microsoft sells licenses in larger bulks to the major vendors nowadays, for PCs that won't be built for many months, then includes those OEM numbers in their first month sales.  Hence, we can't make anything out of the statistics.

sackyhack one year ago

I wonder if they're including all those people that bought the W8 upgrade using the $15 glitch.

RWilliams one year ago

I don't know a single person who wants to upgrade to Windows 8, but I've been fairly content with it. There are still things I don't like about the Start screen at -all- (such as the lack of overall flexibility), but it's not as bad as I thought was from the get-go. I'm just waiting on a fresh SSD, then I'll be reformatting and going with another Start menu solution.

ricofrost one year ago

A sale is still a sale, MS got money for it so it is still a sale.

People well get over this negativity *** and a few months down the track they will end up installing it and then go wow this is pretty good...

Just to add everyone that i have shown loves windows 8, my nieces and nephews forget their iphone/ipad when they see the surface.

chuckpo one year ago

As posted by RiCoFrost:

"This has been a paid political announcement!" (probably its really the CEO of Microsoft, who is in trouble for being so dumb as to remove the start button)

OSunday one year ago

Is that licenses included to manufacturers of computers?

Which means it would still include computer on shelves and in storage and not necessarily in use by users?

If it's not the case I wonder what percentage of those are direct purchases and which were free or discounted upgrade sales?

For the more tech Savvy, Stardock and a couple of other third party software vendors created a couple application that tweak Windows 8 to have everything people knew and loved from Windows 7 while overcoming some of the things people don't like about W8.

It's not an option for me at the moment but even though I don't like the look of W8, if it was at a reasonable price I'd be willing to give it a try since I know I could potentially tweak it back to how I like it with Stardock and other software and it would have the advantage of being Windows OS of focus, and because of that potentially being more secure and have faster updates.

Of course a lot of that is "potential" and "theoretical" since I don't know if W8 as a new OS could have more vulnerabilities or end up equal to or by the wayside compared to W7 but only time can tell

mhenriday one year ago

I'd very much like to see HH perform a full-scale technical comparison of Win8 and Win7, running benchmarks and selected games on the same test rig. How about it, Marco, Dave ?...

Henri