Man Claims Exploding Droid 2 Injured Ear

A Cedar Hill, Texas resident claims that his brand-new Motorola Droid 2 exploded next to his ear, when he was trying to make a call. Aron Embry reported hearing a "popping sound" come from his Droid 2, although he felt no pain at first. He did, however, being feeling blood dripping onto his neck.

Embry then drove to his wife Kara's place of work, where pictures were taken before heading for the ER. Embry was in the emergency room for several hours, and received four stitches in his left ear. Although not experiencing any hearing loss, Embry does not have health insurance, and hopes for help from Motorola.

Motorola is investigating the incident. A cell phone repairman interviewed for the local TV station's story cast doubt on the incident, saying he'd never heard of an exploding cell phone. Evidently, he spends too much time fixing phones to read any tech sites.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean this is a valid case. Hopefully, Motorola's forensics experts can figure it all out. Watch the local video report below.

Via:  Switched
Comments
fat78 4 years ago

Wonder what happened.

Not sure i would be saying it is great phone if it may have caused my ear to start bleeding.

realneil 4 years ago

I wonder if I could now make a fortune selling steel-mesh Cellphone Prophylactics?

Super Dave 4 years ago

[quote user="realneil"]

Dude!

3vi1 4 years ago

Hilarious RealNeil - but did you purposely post it encoded as Webdings? :)

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]Hilarious RealNeil - but did you purposely post it encoded as Webdings? :)[/quote]

SGbt 4 years ago

I can never get over the way they always have live crosses for so many stories.

3vi1 4 years ago

1) I don't get how the phone still works. If something in it "exploded", like a capacitor or the battery... it would be dead.

2) Why is the guy's entire head bandaged up for four stitches in the ear?

3) The 911 call differs from what he told the "news".

Something smells fishy. I wouldn't be half surprised to find out he somehow accidentally smashed his new phone, kept using it with a cracked screen, cut his ear, and came up with this plan to get a free new one and free medical attention (of course he had no insurance). What the repair guy (who actually looked at the phone) says makes me think he's thinking the same thing.

If that is the case, I feel sorry for what he'll be facing from Motorola's legal team after their technicians look over the phone.

Drago 4 years ago

If he cant afford health insurance, he surely cant afford a fancy new cell phone. Get your priorities straight. He doesnt deserve a dime for blatant stupidity.