Mad Catz To Produce Xbox 360 Gaming Headset

Third-party peripherals have come a long, long way. A few years ago, third-party accessories were generally frowned upon, with first-party accessories being far superior. But today, the quality of third-party peripherals has improved tremendously. Some are even more comfortable than first-party alternatives! Mad Catz is also a company on the rise. They've been branching out in recent years, improving and growing their portfolio, particularly when it comes to supporting Microsoft's Xbox 360.

This week, the company landed a licensing deal with Microsoft to produce a licensed, co-branded wireless Headphones for Xbox 360. The company isn't revealing specific details or images yet, but it's clear that gaming headsets are all the rage these days. Razer has issued a number of new entries lately, and Turtle Beach has as well. Now, Mad Catz will be competing as well. The headset will be produced under the company's Tritton brand, and will include Dolby 5.1 surround sound. We're expecting details in the coming weeks, and hopefully a full reveal at E3 later this year.

Unfortunately, they won't be on sale until the holiday season, but at least you can start saving/planning!

MAD CATZ AND MICROSOFT CORPORATION ENTER INTO EXCLUSIVE AGREEMENT TO PRODUCE LICENSED, CO-BRANDED WIRELESS HEADPHONES FOR XBOX 360®

San Diego – February 2, 2011 – Mad Catz® Interactive, Inc. (“Mad Catz”) (AMEX/TSX: MCZ), a leading third-party interactive entertainment accessory provider, announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Microsoft® Corporation (“Microsoft”) to produce a range of licensed, co-branded audio headphones under Mad Catz’s Tritton brand and Microsoft’s Xbox 360 brand. Under the agreement, Mad Catz has the worldwide rights to manufacture, market and sell licensed, co-branded wired stereo headphones and exclusive rights to produce licensed, co-branded wireless stereo and Dolby 5.1 headphones for the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system.

Through this agreement, Mad Catz and Microsoft will work closely together to jointly design and brand wired and wireless headphones, resulting in a range of headphones that will bear the Tritton and Xbox logos on both the packaging and the headphones.  This will also mark the first time that wireless, licensed and co-branded headphones will be available for Xbox 360.

Commenting on the agreement, Darren Richardson, Mad Catz’s President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, “We are delighted to be working so closely with Microsoft to design and brand a range of high performance headphones.  The headphone category is the fastest growing category in the video game space - and this agreement assists Mad Catz’s Tritton brand in furthering its leadership to provide high-quality, innovative headphones that allow gamers and audio enthusiasts alike to enjoy a superior gaming and listening experience.”

Zulfi Alam Microsoft Senior Director, Xbox 360 Accessories, added, “We are pleased to be working in close collaboration with Mad Catz to design and brand products that we believe will deliver a high quality audio experience to Xbox 360 fans.  Whether playing games or enjoying music, movies or sports available on the Xbox 360, we are confident that gamers everywhere will react enthusiastically to this new range of wired and wireless headphones.”

Mad Catz expects that the range of licensed, co-branded headphones will be available for the 2011 holiday shopping season.
Via:  Mad Catz
Comments
3vi1 3 years ago

Great! I was wanting an XBox 360 headset, but I was upset that the choices already on the market were too high quality, ergonomic, and did not break easily.

rapid1 3 years ago

ROFL. Does anyone on here have any experience (long term preffered) with Mad Catz equipment. I am about to replace my head phones. Of course I prefer OTE full on headphones but they make those as well. I have been looking at the Sennheiser DJ pro, the Sony 6/7 units as well as a few others. I like closed over the ear full size headphones. Of course I am partially deaf as well these kind of headphones help me considerably.

coolice 3 years ago

Hey man.... dont make fun of madcatz... they have the BEST warrenty ever!!

My ps2 (yep, two) controllers analog stick because became very loose after about 2 years of use. So i called them up, cause i remembered having a 5 year warrenty, and they sent me a replacement....

2 weeks passed and nothing arrived.... so i called them up again, and they said they'll send me another one.. this time express shipping.... a few days later.... i had 2 controllers in my mail.

Annnd, i wouldnt buy any mad catz headsets.... though i'm surprised microsoft took like 5 years to get a company on board for headsets.... 5years. wow.

3vi1 3 years ago

I could tell you bad stuff about them, but I quit buying their stuff so many years ago that my info's way out of date. For all I know, they may have turned their quality around by now. Though, somehow I doubt it, from the product designs I've seen.

dodgers2213 3 years ago

[quote user="rapid1"]

I have a Mad Catz SF4 tournament edition fight stick (2 years old), and a Mad Catz Marvel vs Capcom 2 Fightstick (1 month old). Both are AMAZING pieces of equipment with high quality parts.

Almost everyone in the fighting game community has a Madcatz arcade stick and, from my knowledge in going to tournaments, the majority of us will tell you they are very durable and reliable.

mentaldisorder 3 years ago

Well, that explains a lot about Tritton. 5.1 surround sound is garbage on headphones. Why? Well, they are artificially creating 5.1 surround. You really aren't getting more speakers. From what I know, Mad Catz is garbage. For xbox, Microsoft brand is really the only option. If we had Logitech on our side, that would be a different story. I like 3vi1's summation.

noars 3 years ago

I have used quite a few different gaming headsets but, the best resource I found to get an impartial view on them can be found at http://www.gamingheadsetreport.com , they are constantly adding new headset reviews.