Kingston Cranks Up The Speed On DataTraveler 410 USB Flash Drive

When it comes to Kingston, you can bank on it being about one of two things: new memory or new flash drives. Today, we're taking a peek at the latter, with Kingston Technology taking the opportunity to increase read and write speeds on its DataTraveler 410 USB flash drive.

Shipping in capacities up to 32GB, the drive can now support 20MB/sec. read and write rates--a move that follows a recent speed bump of the higher capacities (16- and 32GB) of Kingston’s consumer-level DataTraveler I, DataTraveler 101 and DataTraveler 112 drives to read and write speeds of 10MB/sec. Oddly, there's no word on the technical reasons behind the change, and this definitely doesn't have anything to do with USB 3.0. Speaking of USB 3.0--we can't wait to see a SuperSpeed flash drive. We'll go ahead and surmise that it'll blow even the enhanced version of this drive right out of the water, but until the standard becomes widespread, it's USB 2.0 or bust for now.

DataTraveler 410 Product Features and Specifications:

• Capacities1: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB
  • Dimensions: 2.58" x 0.71" x 0.41" (65.76mm x 17.98mm x 10.7mm)
  • Fast2: data transfer rates of up to 20MB/sec. read and 20MB/sec. write
  • Operating Temperature: 32º F to 140º F (0º C to 60º C)
  • Storage Temperature: -4º F to 185º F (-20º C to 85º C)
  • Simple: just plug into a USB port
  • Practical: capless swivel design protects USB connector; no cap to lose
  • Guaranteed: five-year warranty
  • Safeguarded3: includes SecureTraveler security software for Windows
  • Enhanced4: for Windows ReadyBoost™ on Vista-based systems

Via:  Business Wire
Comments
Kyouya 5 years ago

how disappointing...and here I thought they released a USB 3.0 stick. I think I will pass.

acarzt 5 years ago

as long as USB 2.0 has been on the market... plus with all the advances in SSD technology... you'd think these things would be a lot faster...they have the potential of 480Mbps... but they are only hitting 160...

Crisis Causer 5 years ago

I have the Kingston DataTraveler 112 4GB and its speed is alright, but nothing to write home about.  Sometimes it seems especially slow.  Twice as fast as that would be welcome.

Yeah, I too wonder if USB 3.0 will be relevant for USB data sticks.

3vi1 5 years ago

>> I too wonder if USB 3.0 will be relevant for USB data sticks.

Me three.

Hmmm... How long before someone makes a rechargeable 802.11n wireless NAS in thumbdrive form? Imagine a thumbdrive you don't even need to remove from your pocket.

Can someone direct me to the patent office?

gibbersome 5 years ago

Lol, the 802.11n wireless NAS in your pocket would require a battery pack. Not worth the trouble.

USB 3.0 will change the landscape, though the speeds would be limited by other factors such as the PCIe. How soon till we see a USB 3.0 drive.

Once the sticks got bigger than 4GB, USB 2.0 really started to show its age.

3vi1 5 years ago

>> the 802.11n wireless NAS in your pocket would require a battery pack.

Not once they get this wireless recharging technology to work at a greater distance.

Yeah, who wants in my IPO *now*?  Lol....

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

Yeah it's starting to look like USB 3.0 will be a long time coming. I have a few 8GB PNY thumb drives and it took some time to rip my windows 7 iso to the drive.