Kinect Sensing Technology Rumored To Hit Notebooks

It didn't take Microsoft long to realize that they had more than they bargained for with Kinect. While originally intended only for use with the Xbox 360, the motion sensing device soon found a home with PC hackers. After first rejecting the notion, Microsoft soon changed their tune and began to embrace the hackerspace. Earlier this month at the company's CES keynote, Steve Ballmer officially unveiled the Kinect for Windows package, which will be fully compatible with Windows PCs and enable hackers to do nearly anything with their Kinect, so long as there's a PC and USB port nearby. Now, The Daily is reporting that the Kinect could soon be coming to notebooks and other portable computers.

It's a natural leap, really. Webcams are already commonplace in laptops, so why not step things up a bit and enable motion sensing? Reportedly, there are Asus prototypes already floating around with Kinect sensors embedded in them, and while it's not clear if this type of integration will pause and wait for Windows 8, we wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed the case. Metro could benefit greatly from a motion sensing device in the bezel; think about gesturing with your hands or even eyes in order to slide past a tile or open an application. The uses are nearly endless, and productivity would almost certainly see a boost.

It's reported that Microsoft will likely enable their partners to embed the Kinect technology and tweak as they see fit, much like they do with Windows today. It's also highly unlikely that innovation in the space will come from Microsoft. But really, that's okay -- partners have been looking for ways to differentiate for years, and having the best Kinect interface could easily convince someone to choose an HP laptop (for example) over another brand. CES 2013, you getting all of this?
Via:  The Daily
Comments
cowboyspace 2 years ago

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM NOOOOOOO i don't want to see my sisters playing near my PC hell no way, they are too young and can brake something + i do a lot of movement with my fingers i don't need the kinect he he he .....hackers will have a lot of fun with this lol

karanm 2 years ago

No way this sounds amazing, it totally skips the touchscreen evolution and puts us one step closer to the holy grail of computing that was shown in Minority Report!!

Manduh 2 years ago

Minority Report was my first thought too when I read about this yesterday lol

dangerrenegade 2 years ago

While I do appreciate this and am happy for the technology, I don't see this particular thing ever becoming the #1 way someone will interface with the computer (especially navigating/web browsing). It's cool for a minute, but who wants to wave their arms around for hours at a time while designing/working, etc.?

The true last frontier of interfacing is a brain-computer interface that doesn't require any hardware implants.

LBowen 2 years ago

I enjoy Kinect-based video games so if it was integrated well I would certainly give it a chance. Probably mainly using it for browsing through all the pictures I have in a gallery or some other intuitive interface.

omegadoom13 2 years ago

I actually think it's a great way to extend the use of the motion sensing device. When I read about such technology, I try to think about the practical applications that it could bring to those wouldn't use it normally... think outside the box. People who have lost hands, fingers, thumbs, limbs from accidents or birth defects could great benefit from motion sensing technology. They could finally do things that many of us take for granted on our computers.