Internet Explorer 9 Beta Due Slated for September

Most of us here behind the scenes roll through the Web with Firefox or Chrome, but for those of you still clinging to Microsoft's Internet Explorer, you'll have a new browser to play with in September. That's when the Redmond software juggernaut will push out the first fully fledged beta (as opposed to that highly limited Preview release floating around) of its next-gen browser, Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner said during a financial keynote.

We have little reason to doubt Turner's time frame for IE9. Following the release of the first developer preview back in the middle of March, Microsoft has been pumping out updated test builds every 8 weeks.

There's still no word on when the final version of IE9 will ship, but when it does, XP users won't be invited to the launch party - only Windows Vista and Windows 7 users need apply.

For those of you wanting to get a sneak peek, you can test drive the developer preview right here. By doing so, you'll find that Microsoft has put a lot of work into promoting HTML5 and JavaScript performance, two areas browser makers have been fixated on in recent times.

What browser do you use to race through cyber space?
Via:  Microsoft
Comments
sackyhack 4 years ago

Let's see how this one fares. I hate IE. Security flaws aside, it's painfully slow compared to Firefox, at least on my current p.o.s. laptop (never used it on my desktop and can't do a comparison now). But at least they've been moving in the right direction, so I'll give this one a try. MS did kinda hurt themselves by providing better Sharepoint support for Firefox, because I think that was the main driving factor in a lot of businesses sticking to IE, so they need to create other incentives to use IE.

rafardz 4 years ago

IE 8 stinks, big time. It is incredibly slow in my computer. i open a website and i have to leave it thinking for 5-10 seconds. Even when i'm checking my email, it thinks then opens inbox, i click on an email thinks some more and opens email, i delete it 5-10 seconds more. 99% of the time i use firefox or chrome, with muuuch better results in the same websites as IE. Even when connected to Windows Live Messenger and i click to open inbox, takes forever, but i feel lazy to put firefox as default because then i have to login. which takes me the same time as waiting for IE.

AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition.

4 gb ddr3 1333

2X 500 gb 7200 rpm

ATI 5770

Win 7 Pro 64

3vi1 4 years ago

Ummm.... no thanks.

We were told that the last version would be completely different, and the version before that, and....

Browser Known unpatched vulnerabilities

(2010-07-12)

Safari

July 22, 2010;
8 days ago

(2010-07-22)

SeaMonkey 0

The first thing I do when anyone asks for help with their computer is to install a non-MS browser.

By the way:  Why was the guy speaking about a free update during a financial keynote?  Could it be that everyone's been telling him that it will help Microsoft's income by submarining in a few more proprietary ActiveX-like extensions that are guaranteed to not be supported on other browsers (and by extension, operating systems)?  Or, am I attributing malice to something that's simply stupidity?

Chainzsaw 4 years ago

"By the way: Why was the guy speaking about a free update during a financial keynote? Could it be that everyone's been telling him that it will help Microsoft's income by submarining in a few more proprietary ActiveX-like extensions that are guaranteed to not be supported on other browsers (and by extension, operating systems)? Or, am I attributing malice to something that's simply stupidity?"

Your are right. They are malicious. If you were a 1000 Poud gorilla in the computer industry you would probably try to make anything and everything as propriatary as possible to "attach" companies to you. Buggers.

3vi1 4 years ago

>> If you were a 1000 Poud gorilla in the computer industry you would probably try to make anything and everything as propriatary as possible to "attach" companies to you.

Nah. If I were a 1000lb gorilla, I'd climb a building and throw barrels at plumbers. I've been thinking about it for a long time.

But yeah, your thing sounds good too.

acarzt 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

But yeah, your thing sounds good too.

lmao, you crack me up dude.

But I still cling to IE, and uh 8 was very different... it made a lot of things stop working lol

They seem to have fixed that now tho lol

3vi1 4 years ago

>> I'm very curious about 9 because of the hardware acceleration. I'd like to see what difference it makes :-P

Then go download the nightly build of FireFox and get it today instead of waiting for IE to catch up in September: http://nightly.mozilla.org/ :)

AKwyn 4 years ago

Agreed 3vi1, hardware rendering is awesome on Firefox.

acarzt 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

I'm gonna just turn a blind eye to that... Oh look a squirrel :-D

animatortom 4 years ago

I have never really had much of a problem with IE?

If Y'all are having slowing issues I would say it is your connection. That seem to be the only time I have a problem.

And if anyone is a thousand poud Gorilla on a building throwing Blonds off a building, I would be in an airplane with a fiddy Cal...:P

lonewolf 4 years ago

Google Chrome is where it's @ for me!!!!!

IE 9 will have to totally reinvent itself for me to give it consideration as IE has had too many hiccups for my liking.

acarzt 4 years ago

[quote user="lonewolf"]

It's funny how people say they want things reinvented and fixed etc... but when they actually make a big change... people flip out lol

Take Windows Phone 7 for example... people are getting a bit crazy with that one.

And when Office 2007 came out, it pissed a lot people off because it was totally different and you had to relearn a lot of things lol.

As far as the interface goes, for me, i'm fine with the gradual changes. As long as everything in the background is working fine and dandy and it does not affect my ability to browse the web. Then i'll be happy :-)

mhenriday 4 years ago

I sincerely hope that Internet Explorer 9 is the vast improvement over the current version that Microsoft is hyping it to be - and if you think the hype is excessive now, wait until the browser is released to the general public ! If, indeed, it is, we know whom to thank - the people over at Mozilla. Were it not for their efforts these last few years, almost all of us would now be using a slightly upgraded version of IE6....

Henri

slugbug 4 years ago

I gave up on IE years ago. Firefox and Chrome are the hot browsers now.

acarzt 4 years ago

Yea, i'm not ready to give up on IE yet :-)

I'm hoping this next one is great too.

realneil 4 years ago

Browsing with Microsoft Internet Explorer has always been like being slowly pecked to death by chickens. It's always some kind of vulnerability or incapability that you have to deal with, and at the same time, all of the browser that adhere to web standards work without any problems. Microsoft's proclivity to bastardize standards and force everyone to comply to their will as if they own the internet has damaged the viability of their browser.

It's a piece of sh*t.