Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive

Though the migration will be gradual, starting first at the consumer level, then moving into the industrial and enterprise space, it's a matter of time before the world literally goes solid state for its storage. In the short term, especially at the consumer level, the SSD market is expected to have explosive growth over the next year or so, some analysts predicting well in excess of 100% annually. It goes without saying, Solid State Storage is a safe bet.

Today Intel just bellied up to the table and dropped their chips down on the SSD market, and in typical Intel fashion, they're going in big. The following is a full evaluation of Intel's new consumer-targeted X25-M Solid State Drive. Is Intel playing to win? You tell us...

Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid State Drive
Via:  HotHardware
Comments
recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

Dang I really want 1 of these bad @zz drives!

Based on the performance, I'd have no problem droppin 4-5 bills on it... if I had the money.  :(

You might think I'm crazy for my willingness to come out of pocket, but 80gb drives are all I use because I don't require much storage space since I don't have a big music collection, only keep 2-3 games installed @ once and don't store any vids on hdds.

BTW: If HH offers 1 of these as the prize for the next contest, expect to see me post about 1000% more than usual!!!

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Wow you said it would be from a big player. Didn't see Intel coming though. Also didn't see that speed coming. Great review. I am now much more excited about SSD.

AjayD 6 years ago

It's nice to see actual performance on par with claimed performance for a change. The write speeds are a little lackluster, but they are made up for by uniform performance, high throughput, and class leading read speeds. These drives certainly deserve to command a premium over their competition, but double the price is a little excessive. This drive would be fantastic for an OS drive, although 80GB is a little restrictive. The 160GB model would allow a lot more room to breathe.

I am even more anxious now to see how the soon to be released Samsung 256GB MLC based drive will stack up, both in terms of performance and price. With claimed read performance inline with these new drives from Intel, and write performance far eclipsing Intel's (MLC), SSDs are really starting to get interesting.

Nice one HH! I was eagerly awaiting this.

3vi1 6 years ago

The price is steep, but the performance is sweet. Things are going to be great when competition brings the cost down on these.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

I musta missed something... what is the MSRP anyway?

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

A arm, leg, and your first born!

or $600 one or the other can't remember which.

warlord 6 years ago

Good stuff...and the first born you say...how about the last 1 he's mean as hell...they would give me a dozen or so of em just to take him backBig Smile

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

The youngest always the figherWink

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Fudzilla clams a 160gb SSD on the way from Intel. Now thats getting in the usable range.

Cmoazz 6 years ago

I'll be picking one up for my next build, go Intel!