Intel Core i7 Overclocking--A HotHardware How-To

Intel's Core i7 processor offers a significant performance increase over previous generation Core 2 processors. In addition, like the legacy Core 2 architecture, the new Core i7 also has a bunch more headroom for wringing upside performance out of the chip, maximizing value, power and return on your investment with overclocking. In fact, Intel actually built-in a predefined overclocking feature called "Turbo Mode". We explain how not only Core i7 Turbo Mode works but also how to manually overclock the Core i7 in the BIOS as well as give you strategies on maintaining stability of the system as you ramp up the Core i7 core frequency for even larger gains in performance...

Intel Core i7 Overclocking - A HotHardware How-To

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
recoveringknowitall 5 years ago

Awesome video! Yes

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

Nice Vid. I would love to get my hands on one of those i7s. They look like so much fun to overclock.

Der Meister 5 years ago

Nice video indeed... It seems that OC'ing has taken a turn from its old trided and true method... So with out a FSB how do you get your memory running in 1:1 or does that not matter so much with core i7?

Dave_HH 5 years ago

Hey Der,

It definitely doesn't matter as much with the Core i7, since memory bandwidth is already pretty killer. However, 1:1 is there. I just had a it turned down to 1600. You can run all the way up to 2GHz+ if you want in some systems/motherboards but again, I don't think it's worth it stability-wise for the small performance upside.

Der Meister 5 years ago

Thanks dave,

So the Host frequency is inessence the "FSB" interms of figuring out the clock when using the multiplier then.

The PQI is confusing, if i understand it, all the cores can talk with one another and with the MCH?

kid007 5 years ago

very informative video. like dave keep it up! i wish you could do more videos like that for other products!

acarzt 5 years ago

I wish I could watch it :-( I'm at work tho.

nelsoncp21 5 years ago

sweet video. Can't wait to get my case back and set up my WC so I can play around with it. I am sure I will have plenty to ask and talk about when that happens.

Kiristo 5 years ago

Same. I think I'll OC my 920 when I get home though. Only had it about a month, so I hadn't bothered with it yet, but this is a good reminder to do so. I was going to OC my GTX 280 too, but I think I'll not, and just do a step-up down the road a bit (EVGA).

yoda8232 5 years ago

Great video.

mentaldisorder 5 years ago

I'm still getting used to the fact that you guys are now making videos.  BTW, nice video Big Smile

Kiristo 5 years ago

Well, I finally remembered to OC my PC.  Pretty easy.  The video made it alot easier though.  Even with a different mobo, a novice could do it with this.  Actually, this was my first OC, so point proven.  The video is handy, because you point out what everything is, and what it means/does.  Some stuff I was unaware of.  I'm running at 60 degrees on stock cooling at 3.2GHz under normal conditions.  Haven't gotten it under load yet, what would you guys recommend as the best free benchmark program?  I think I'm going to get a better CPU fan/heatsink at any rate to cool it down.  I was at 40 degrees before the OC, so that was a big jump.  Should have another 6GBs of RAM (will be 12 total) in a couple days to go along with it.

yoda8232 5 years ago

12 GB do you really need it?

Kiristo 5 years ago

Of course not.

yoda8232 5 years ago

I would too if I had the money. :P

Der Meister 5 years ago

I was reading a review about total memoy and performance, anything over 4gb performance was neglable. But if you running power house applications like Photo shop, #d programs, and video editing programs then it will help...

yoda8232 5 years ago

True I'd say 6-8 GB is more than anyone will need and that's pushing it too.

Kiristo 5 years ago

Got the other 6GBs yesterday.  It was only like $95 for the memory, so why not?  I didnt' expect to notice any performance gains, but they are there.  Even simple stuff like scrolling through an external drive I noticed there is immediate response.  Everything seems a little smoother.  It was pretty fast already, don't get me wrong, but I think it was worth $95.  Might save me the need to upgrade for awhile as well.

ice91785 5 years ago

Sorry to necrothread here, but I was taking my Intel Retail Edge challenge to earn some points and HH was the FEATURE video :) I thought it was cool anyway...the quiz is based around HH's video on the overclock.

wannab 3 years ago

Nice video, very informative. I overclocked my 920 with ease!

rrplay 3 years ago

[quote user="wannab"]

Nice video, very informative. I overclocked my 920 with ease!

Hi , welcome to HH  Smile& sounds great you might want to check out one of the newer threads and post in this thread

Bios settings for overclocking your rig. (A guide for the rest of us)

there some really good useful stress tests and stability info in that thread