Intel Boosts Integrated HD Graphics Performance with New Drivers

Intel announced new drivers for its integrated HD 2500/4000 graphics (for 3rd generation Intel Core processors), and it did so in a somewhat refreshingly brief press release. The updates to the graphics drivers are for Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit).

Intel says that versions 15.31.3.3071 (32-bit) and 15.31.3.64.3071 (64-bit) bring a new driver architecture as well as optimzations designed to boost game performance by as much as 10% in some popular titles including Starcraft II, Batman: Arkham City, and WoW: Mists of Pandaria. Intel HD 2500/4000 graphics now have reduced CPU overhead as well as support for OpenCL 1.2.

Batman
Up to a 10% performance boost with new drivers

The releases address several needed fixes, including artifacts in certain titles and corruptions or crashes in programs such as CLBenchmark and Cyberlink Power Director 10.

You can download the updates here or here, depending on what your system requires.
Via:  Intel
Comments
realneil one year ago

Good for them. It was needed.

KOwen one year ago

When will integrated graphics start to rival discrete GPU's? Will they ever catch up or are they not meant to because integrated graphics are for a different type of user who doesn't require such intense graphical power? I have an Nvidia 660Ti so I feel like I'd be making a huge mistake switching to my i7-3770 integrated graphics, new driver or not. I don't know anyone who plays PC games that doesn't drop at least $100 on a new GPU every build.

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="KOwen"]

I doubt they ever do except for lower end cards. I would think of people that are planning on using APUs or Intels integrated graphics are casual gamers at best. That and integrated graphics can do what most people want which is to watch youtube, movies, ect. if they dont like to play games on their PCs.

OSunday one year ago

Of course this was a comparison of AMD's latest tech to Intel's current, when things might stack up a little differently when compared to the Haswell comes out

realneil one year ago

"This is good news, I saw an article the other day that AMD's next line of APU's outperformed a set of intel CPU's by 80% in the graphics category."

An updated Intel graphics is due to be released later this year and may give APUs a little competition. (but we all know how Intel prices high)

That said, I really like the APU that I own. It's a great little mid range PC that cost very little.

3vi1 one year ago

Valve and Intel have been working closely together as the former ports their Source engine to Linux. At the Gstreamer conference last year, Valve said that since they have complete access to the source for the video drivers, they've been able to trace bottlenecks all the way into the driver and let Intel know so that they can fix them. I'm sure they've carried these fixes over to the Windows drivers.

I just got my Clevo set up so that I can use primusrun to run the games on the Nvidia 670MX GPU, but I was amazed by just how well the Intel HD4000 chipset handled them before I installed bumblebee.

BrianBlair 5 months ago

I use a dedicated GPU myself. AMD R9 270, I recently was using a i5 750 and got a great deal on a Z77 motherboard for $63 bucks and bought a i5 3470, Just for the heck of it I tried out the integrated HD 2500 and it really did not do too bad. It was not great. But it works. I suppose people could use it. But a good powerful dedicated GPU is so cheap now that it's not much point in using integrated graphics now. My R9 270 was only $179. If you can afford a i5 or i3 you can afford $179 for a GPU.

nfs3freak 4 months ago

The integrated graphics on the i7 I have works fine in the meantime when my card initially crapped out (GTX 680), I used the onboard and it did all the things I needed it to (browse, simpler gaming like Source games, etc). It's sufficient for basic needs. I don't think even this boost would have me shift to the integrated graphics (since a gtx 780 ti seems to do what I need).

ThaBusDriv3r 4 months ago

This is awesome. Whenever I look for laptops to buy, I always look at the graphics cards due to me being a gamer and I always steer clear of integrated graphics. I've always had bad times with them and they can't support the games that I want to play. Now, I'm not talking about hi-res games like Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, or any other of the latest games. I'm speaking for the games that can be on low settings and still be playable like most MMOs. We just sold one of our Samsung laptops because it wasn't running Minecraft and desired FPS even with Optifine. For integrated graphics that can't run Minecraft, I was astonished. Now we have a laptop with a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. Now that Intel has quoted to boost these integrated cards, I may start thinking integrated might be an ok route to go.