HotHardware's Daniel Begun Talks Up Zune HD

After images of Microsoft's supposedly forthcoming Zune HD leaked out to the web this past weekend, many technology critics have spent the past few days debating whether or not the mythical device has the chops to knock Apple from its throne. Or to even give it a scare, really.

Our very own Daniel Begun sat down with TechVi's Randall Bennett and Macworld's David Chartier to discuss this very topic, focusing on what software and hardware changes Microsoft would need to include in the Zune HD for it to be considered a formidable rival. We won't spoil the fun for you, but we will direct you down to the video below for what Mr. Begun had to say. After you've tuned in, why not chime in with a few ideas of your own?

Via:  TechVi
Comments
3vi1 5 years ago

Zune will not achieve the majority market share anytime soon.

As Daniel said (and is completely logical, given market direction):

>> "They need to do away with DRM. Just get rid of it."

Microsoft won't do that until they're truly scared. Tighter, more restrictive, integration of DRM has been one of Microsoft's priorities in Vista and Windows 7. It would be shocking to see them turn 180 on that point. 360, maybe. :)

yoda8232 5 years ago

Get rid of DRM, get cool features, lower prices.

Then and ONLY then they will win.

Kiristo 5 years ago

I like the Zune better than the ipod. I think it stems from a dislike of Apple in general, but the Zune is a good product. If they would get rid of the retarded proprietary connection it would be better. Just use mini USB for crying out loud, everyone already has one or two of these cables. That way if I'm somewhere else or lose mine I don't have to buy another cable. I wish I hadn't broken my old Creative Zen Touch, you could sync it with WMP or just drag and drop with explorer. Get rid of the Zune sync program and the proprietary cable and I'd love it. To me, it is pretty similar to the ipod atm, with shorter battery life, a better display, and cheaper without the apple logo.

mentaldisorder 5 years ago

[quote user="Kiristo"]

I think it is safe to saythat we both had the same experiences with mp3 players.  My first one was a Zen touch and I loved it.  Until, the touch pad broke.  Then I got an Ipod Nano from my sister, however I didnt really like what it had to offer, except for the battery life.  I especially didn't like the proprietary connection as you said...  Then I moved to the Zune 80gb and I love it.  This would be my zen except for the damn because having an mp3 player with a proprietary cable makes it suck if it dies and someones house far away and you don't have the cable.  With that said, I think I'll be sticking with zune for awhile.

jeffb 5 years ago

I am with you both as well. My Zune 80 has been really good to me. I have it integrated into my home theater and car and use it on a daily basis. I've had mine since Dec 07 and have not had a single issue with it whatsoever. I agree, the proprietary cable stinks and so does the fact that most aftermarket car stereos and home receivers offer far greater integration for the iPod. I think it is a shame that the Zune gets overlooked in this area as I find it to be a superb product. I would upgrade to another without hesitation, although I have no reason to at the moment.

acarzt 5 years ago

Zune needs Bluetooth that can link up with car stereos wirelessly to share digital content. As well as being able to wirelessly share content with home theatre components and the like :-) And it needs to support bluetooth stereo headphones.

*edit* I put Zoom instead of Zune lol... it's been a long night and morning... I need more sleep.