Half-Life 10th Anniversary Deal

About 10 years ago, in mid-November 1998, Valve Software released the first installment of one of the greatest and most enduring gaming franchises in history; Half-Life. The original Half-Life won Game of the Year awards in over 50 publications and set the bar for story-driven first-person shooter for years. It was also quite the technological achievement for the heady days of the late nineties, creating one of the most realistic and immersive environments of the period. The game's modding community also launched some of the most memorable multiplayer frag fests of all time, such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress, all of which are still enjoyed by thousands of gamers daily. It can also lay claim to being the only game to make conducting applied theoretical physics experiments look AWESOME, if not a little dangerous, in an end-of-the-world kind of way.

In the original classic science fiction first-person shooter, you assumed the role of Dr. Gordon Freeman, a recent graduate theoretical physicist. Unfortunately your day job at the Black Mesa research facility just took a turn for the worst, as if working in a windowless research bunker a couple hundred feet underground in the middle of a remote desert wasn't bad enough. The experiment you were just performing blows up in your face, literally, as well as everything in the surrounding area, unleashing all manner of unpleasantry upon the world. Your goal is to find your way out of the Black Mesa facility, all while unraveling the truth behind exactly what went wrong (or very right, if you ask us).

While we bet most of you have already played through the first chapter in Gordan Freeman's saga at least once and have likely also battled your way through the expansions and second installment, there are still some poor souls who have somehow missed out on this venerable classic. Well, those uninitiated among you just got lucky because Valve has got a deal for you. Until noon on Friday November 21st, Valve is offering the original Half-Life game on their Steam distribution service for the paltry price of just $0.98. If you haven't yet experienced this seminal classic, don't miss out on this deal!

Grab your copy of Half-Life for just $0.98 right here.
Via:  Steam
Comments
imAcpufan 6 years ago

Nice. The Half-life saga is my all-time favourite game series to this day. I can't wait for Half-life 2: Episode 3.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

98 cents. That's awesome. I need to play through all the games again before episode 3 comes out.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

IMHO the original HL is more difficult/challenging than HL2/E:1/E:2.

I'll be playing through the games again too!

Der Meister 6 years ago

I love Half Life... When is the nest one going to come out? I last played EP2

3vi1 6 years ago

I got Half-Life free with an ATI 9600XT years ago. The ATI card was supposed to come with HL2 (via a quick Steam download of the soon to be released game), but after the source code theft the game was delayed for nearly a year... they gave card owners HL, CS, and CS:S as free bonuses.

I'm almost ashamed to say, I never could bring myself to play it. I started it up to see how it works, but apparently I'm a "graphics-whore" or something.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"] I'm a "graphics-whore" or something[/quote]I can understand that and relate, but HL original is worth a play through to fully understand the story.

MikeL_HH 6 years ago

The original Half-Life has also been ported to the Source engine by Valve. I've played through both the original and the Source version and I gotta say the port is quite good. One of the puzzles sort of got messed up due to the new realistic physics engine in Source, but that was very minor.

Crisis Causer 6 years ago

If I didn't already have the game, I woulda bought it for 98 cents for sure.

In many ways, I like the first game better than the second.  And of them all, Opposing Force (the "expansion" for HL1) is possibly my favourite.  We don't need no stinking gravity gun... we have a freakin barnacle gun.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

One of the guys in my TF2 clan was going around looking to see if everyone had it and buying if for the people that don't today.

ice_73 6 years ago

also black mesa source is coming out, its a complete graphical rework of the original hl! and not that badly ported hl-source (in hl source, it uses same textures, and just updated the engine, in black mesa source its a complete rework with new textures and everything). even though i played and owned the original hl, i lost the cd a while ago looks like now i can buy it via steam and never loose it agian!

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="ice_73"]

When is that coming out. I saw it a while back and it looked far from done.

tanka12345 6 years ago

Awesome deal for the game but I don't have a credit card or a paypal account to buy it :(

ice_73 5 years ago

when its done!

recoveringknowitall 5 years ago

By the time it's done the gfx are gonna be very long in the tooth, but I'll still wanna play it.