Half of Moms SMS While Driving Their Kids

A recent report showed adults are just as likely as teens to text message while driving. That may not be all that surprising, but a new report is: it shows that half of mothers text message while driving.

The survey, conducted by by BOHAN Advertising for its WhyMomsRule.com blog, show that among mothers with text messaging service on their cell phones, 49 percent admit to reading or writing text messages while driving. Not just that, the moms did so with their kids in the car.

The survey shows what's wrong with drivers: lack of common sense. Without legislation, or in fact, even with legislation, people think it's OK to text while driving. While statistics actually have shown disappointing results in terms of accident reduction in states which have instituted such laws, they have correlated that data with compliance. Many of these states (fro example, California, $20) have fines so low that people ignore them.

If authorities want compliance, they need to raise fines to the point that people will pay attention. It is sad to see in California, for example, that littering fines are so much higher.
42001.7. (a) Every person convicted of a violation of Section 23111 or 23112, or subdivision (a) of Section 23113, shall be punished by a mandatory fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) upon a first conviction, by a mandatory fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) upon a second conviction, and by a mandatory fine of not less than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) upon a third or subsequent conviction.
The survey was conducted among 585 mothers over age 18 with at least two children at home. It was conducted online in late May. The survey has a margin of error of 5 percent at a 95 percent confidence level.
Via:  BusinessWire
Comments
AKwyn 4 years ago

Now the moms are texing as well. they're right, they need to increase the fines in order to get people to stop texting while driving. That way, it'll increase the driver's common sense and also California's pockets :P.

acarzt 4 years ago

I don't think taking pictures while driving is much safer lol

animatortom 4 years ago

This is where the survival of the fittest comes into play! nature naturally weens out the deer who find it ok to play on the interstate. The same is true with texting drivers!

Of course I feel the route we are going is more aligned to the movie "idiocracy" Than natural selection :P

acarzt 4 years ago

Unfortunately the idiocracy comment is probably true lol

Sometimes I am tempted to mass donate my sperm accross the country to attempt to balance things out lol

animatortom 4 years ago

Yeah, but even if you have some frozen...you might wait to long for the right one to come along. And by then it will be to lateHmm

acarzt 4 years ago

nah, who ever wants my sperm can have it....(that doesn't sound right)...

I figure my genius should be able to level out or bring up the potential IQ of the kid. lol

animatortom 4 years ago

Yeah, I try to spread my butter around as much as I can as well!

Only problem is I dont seem to get it insideDevil

fat78 4 years ago

Environment effects the out come of a kid. still might get a dumb kid

infinityzen 4 years ago

I actually agree with you on the 'idiocracy' comment Tom. The way things are going, common sense will be a rare virtue in 100 years.

realneil 4 years ago

common sense will be $29.99 at WalMart and NEVER sell out.

ClemSnide 4 years ago

Half of moms text while driving? ...Which half, the left or the right?

AdamLiuu 4 years ago

seems this mom isn't responsible for her kids.

Ruby 2 years ago

Moms that behave like that don't think of their children! I'm very glad that I've read this article, because that means that at least someone is concerned about the life and safety of little children. A driving mom is responsible not only for the lives of all other drivers on the road but first of all about the life and safety of her child. I'm against using phones while driving, it's too dangerous. Thanks for the attention to this acute problem.

Yours, the developer of http://internet-radio-player.com/