HP Slimline Desktops Hit With Nvidia GPU Defect

It was just a matter of time, but the defective Nvidia mobile GPUs that keep coming to light in a growing number of laptops models have finally made the unfortunate leap to desktops. Hewlett-Packard (HP) is reporting that 38 different models in its Slimline Desktop PC line are potentially affected by possibly defective Nvidia-based GPUs.

HP reports that the affected models "may not boot or may not display video," and has implemented a "Limited Warranty Service Enhancement" that "provides for a motherboard replacement at no charge for 12 months from the date your one-year Hardware Limited Warranty expires or until December 31, 2009, whichever is sooner." Owners who have already paid for repairs directly related to this problem are instructed to contact HP for reimbursement. As the defective graphics chip is integrated into the motherboard, the entire motherboard needs to be replaced.

HP Pavilion Slimeline S3200C
(Credit: HP)

Nvidia's Director of Public Relations EMEAI told PC Pro, "It is slimline, notebook-like design but there is no conclusive evidence that the failure mechanism is the same as the notebook issue we announced in July... We are working very closely with HP to determine if/how the Nvidia chipset is involved in the failures." We're not sure what is worse: that Nvidia might have two separate defective chip problems, or that the problem that was previously just relegated to laptops is even bigger than Nvidia first admitted.

Which isn't to say that Nvidia didn't already know about the full extent of the problems. PC Pro also reported back in August that Nvidia hinted that it was forced to limit the full disclosure of the problems by its partners. An Nvidia spokesperson told the following to reporters:

Which leads us to the conclusion that this drama is far from played out. We're betting that more manufacturers of desktops with integrated Nvidia graphics chips will be coming forward in the coming weeks and months with similar announcements of potential problems and product recalls.
Tags:  Nvidia, GPU, sli, HP, Desktop, desktops, ECT, slim, IM, id, K
Comments
shanewu 6 years ago

Damn...when it rains, it pours!

ice91785 6 years ago

All the more reason to shy away from OEMs and build your own rigs!! :)

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Darn I have recommended those things to a few people. I think only 2 of them got one though.

Super Dave 6 years ago

[quote user="News"]"The truth is, our obligations to our partners limit what we can say. We need to leave announcements to our partners like Dell and HP... I know there's frustration, and it would make my job easier if I could give out the facts that I know, but we have obligations to our partners. We discuss it constantly, and the company would like to be more upfront about this--but we can't be."[/quote]

This whole fiasco is going to cost a lot of money to rectify. No wonder some of the Nvidia partners are being so hush-hush about this. Should the defective Nvidia GPU manage to survive the newly-extended warranty period, it is still defective and will surely die a premature death. While I generally dislike lawyers and all that they stand for, in this case a nice fat class-action lawsuit is in order here. As much as I love Nvidia and all it has done for the industry, accountability to the consumer should be the first order of the day.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

Shhhhh. . . We should sweep it all under the rug after all I own Nvidia stock.Wink

Just kidding I agree. As long as they dont go under the stock will come back.

Super Dave 6 years ago

The only thing worse than owning Nvidia stock would be to own one of the affected Nvidia GPU's...Sad

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

I may be in both categories. I have 2 Nvidia GPUs right now.

approx 4 years ago

It just so happens that my slimline desktop stopped booting with those same video problems this week.. Its unfortunate that it is after dec 31 2009.

This is the last business i'll even give HP. Their non-printer products are pretty inferior.

I have have 3 HP laptops in the past 3 years (from my work) and 1 desktop at home. Each of them has stopped working. Motherboard problems etc.

We should boycott HP and nvidia or whatever...

Super Dave 4 years ago

[quote user="approx"]

This is the last business i'll even give HP.

Curious that you would blame HP for a defective Nvidia GPU. I've had good luck with my HP desktop and Compaq (HP) laptop, so I must opt-out of your boycott. But I would still like to welcome you to HotHardware, approx!Big Smile

gibbersome 4 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

My experience with HP has been mixed. I owned an HP desktop a long time ago and that thing was built like a tank. I used it for 2 years and gave it to my brother who used it for another 6 years.

On the other side, my gf bought a tx2500z laptop with touchscreen and it's caused her aggravations to no end. Faulty motherboard, optical drive, screen. It was sent in twice and still causing problems. She won't be buying HP again.

rapid1 4 years ago

Yeah I have not seen many problems on the HP end. Especially not as much as the Compaq unit's. Of course now that HP owns them there Qc most likely has changed at least somewhat. I remember I used to hate working on Compaq's they were decent don't get me wrong, but there tech support was generally vapor brained imbeciles. I remember one time I had a lady who ran a business at home. Luckily she had a laptop to but her desktop was a Compaq where she saved everything, and it had gone out. The first time I went I inspected checked everything out and called in told them it was either hard drive or memory error because it would just lock up after bios post. the had me replace everything but including the PSU, MB, CD, then memory the last time I went it was with a HD and bam. I actually felt really bad for her, as her main business PC was out for a month pretty much.  She new what I had told them the first call as she was sitting there. She asked to speak with a supervisor told him etc. I got positive input majorly at work, and she was very appreciative of me when it was done. I still felt bad for her though it was ridiculous.

vapnut 4 years ago

I had a repair authorized after the deadline but so far they have had to put two boards in. After 4 days of working ok, now the second replacement is out again. Will be calling support Monday to see if they will offer some type of abatement. You should at least call tech support and register your problem. If they turn you down, your next call should be to your state's Attorney General and lodge a complaint there.

gibbersome 4 years ago

[quote user="vapnut"]

Well I'm done with HP, my gf's laptop is just about dead. Will start looking for a replacement soon.

vapnut 4 years ago

sending back in for another attempt (I hope this friggin screen don't refresh before I finish typing this post) What a PITA