Google: We're Activating 300,000 Android Phones Each Day

It's official ladies and gentlemen, Google's Android platform is stupid popular. We can say that because, according to an engineering VP for the sultan of search, the Android army grows stronger by more than 300,000 smartphone activations every 24 hours. That comes out to 2.1 million activations a week, or more than 109 million a year, assuming the rate of new activations remains stagnant.

News of Android's success came in the form of a short and sweet tweet (aren't they all?) posted by Google's Andy Rubin. That's all he said, yet he managed to speak volumes about Google's mobile OS in just his second Twitter post ever.

Need help wrapping your head around the significance here? Consider that Apple claims it activates 270,000 iPhones each day, 30,000 less than Google for each 24 hour period, 210,000 less per week, and more than 10.9 million less per year (again assuming the rate of activations doesn't change for either company).

Yeah, it's like that, and we have yet to see what impact Gingerbread (Android 2.3) and Honeycomb will have on these figures.
Via:  Yahoo News
Comments
LLeCompte 4 years ago

im thinking apple is scared...

EHarler 4 years ago

Apple should be scared. It's restricted environment is starting to take big hits. I just wonder how long this apple sub-culture will last.

3vi1 4 years ago

If Apple's scared, Microsoft should be petrified. They're being outsold by Android 15 to 1 in the U.K., and have resorted to "buy one, get one free" to try to increase adoption.

countcristo 4 years ago

LOL.  I love Android. I hope Google wins with their android phones.

NexusBorg 4 years ago

Thats crazy but all good though :) I love my android phone and the new apps that we keep getting too!

rapid1 4 years ago

In the current market as well as in where it seems to be going Apple it seems should be scared. I remember a time when it looked like they would own the PC world. As for Android they have as well as have built a great platform and market on Android. They seem to be playing there cards right as well. The biggest thing though is this I think. The largest percentage of those data transaction's still happen from within a Microsoft platform which is Windows.

Yes; everyone loves an underdog, if Google could be considered as such. It does seem to me though that M$ did a lot of research on what was coming. Windows phone was delayed for quite some time, and the most hated OS ever it seems in Vista also started all of this. They also changed Office as well, which is there second largest product.

Microsoft still owns both the desktop/laptop, and Office sweet market at the last time I checked. The tie in's here with Windows phone 7 seem to be pretty self evident. To start off with have you seen any of those Microsoft to the cloud commercials that seem to play about every 15 minutes. They make a good point!

If they can (which it seems they are doing) tie it all together in the end. They are still the unstoppable market Elephant. Yes all of us tech junkies may love Android, iOs, Meego, Palm or whatever platform we preach about. In the end and Elephant tramples a Bull like a semi truck does a trash can, or a car as well in that situation. This elephant also has tie in's to a very large and healthy percentage of the market by default.

So where all this goes I do not know with any degree of certainty. The one thing I would definitely be in on if I was a betting man is that Microsoft could loose a percentage of it's platform market maybe, but that percentage will not most likely be much more than 10%. I imagine it wouldn't be anywhere close to that much.

Microsoft in the past has adapted well, Apple does not, and Google is the newer player here. I predict Apple looses though maintains more of a market presence at least for 3-5, Google makes largely it's own market, and Microsoft looses some percentage, but in the end is nowhere near out.