Google Seals Twitch Gaming Live Streaming Service Deal For A Cool $1 Billion

Google’s acquisition of Twitch, the increasingly popular video game broadcaster, is complete. The deal was first announced back in May, and Google has signed the all-cash offer of a billion dollars. Suddenly, the YouTube juggernaut is even more powerful and expansive.

According to VentureBeat’s sources familiar with the matter, the exact price is unknown but Twitch’s early investors are pleased with the manifold return on investment they’re now enjoying.

Twitch

Twitch has some exciting days ahead. Amid acquisition talks, the company announced plans to build a studio in San Francisco where their top-notch contributors can produce high-end content and new talent can develop their abilities as streamers.

Twitch has some 45 million visitors each month, and it’s been steadily rolling out new features such as Twitch Live Annotations on YouTube.
Via:  VentureBeat
Comments
ThomasTaege 4 months ago

It would be really cool to see more gaming competitions readily available to watch. Interested to see where Google goes with this.

CraigSchmall 4 months ago

Great. Now we will be bombarded with even more bullshit ad content.

Rosec14 4 months ago

You keep saying ad blocker plus wrong. :P

RyanSookram 4 months ago

how dare you have to simply have a ad on a page to get FREE content? you should totally stop giving them your money , not like twitch has a shitload of ads already . You should totally stop using their services and show em they cant get your money....o wait

MikeStrank 4 months ago

RIP Twitch.

EricCorwith 4 months ago

Well crap. How many days before "accountname not supported. Please login using your Google+ account or click here to create a Google+ profile because if we dont buy all the internet and remove your old accounts you'll never make a G+ on your own" >.>

JMeloni 4 months ago

RIP Twitch.. people selling out but I do understand why

JasonBolla 4 months ago

I know everyone hates on big companies buying smaller ones (Facebook with Oculus, for example), but I can't help but agree with Boogie2988 about this. Obviously there are going to be negatives, but there will definitely be positives too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1hSbWqMNPY&list=UU4_bwov47DseacR1-ttTdOg

Drachen 4 months ago

I don't like what Google touches. YouTube used to be pretty good back in the day. But now, Google forces so many poor updates on us that we have to get used to. I'm pretty sure they're going to do the same to Twitch.

nfs3freak 4 months ago

^ unless Google touches me ;)     jk

Or Google Fiber.

It's true though. Twitch won't be what I frequent and if someone uses it, I'll avoid watching it.

DavidKreal 4 months ago

I always take the wait and see approach before crying about a merger like this. Too easy to get riled up. Will be interesting though.

g00fb4ll 4 months ago

Totally agree. The couple of the twitch streamers I check out are pretty positive about google taking over, hedging their bets also I guess lol, so time will tell.

CHolt 4 months ago

I just hope they'll fix the Twitch app, right now I can't even watch streams on it as it just shows a black screen.

MatthewSchwebke 4 months ago

I hope this buy by Google doesn't change the way Twitch runs. I wish that Google won't take anything away but add on new and better features to better Twitch.

iByTheWay 4 months ago

Another service to try to force me into using Google+? Great.

Props to Twitch though. I remember the good old days when there was nothing more than Justin.tv. They've definitely made it big, especially recently. Hopefully this doesn't lessen the experience for the viewers and streamers.

Bigbadwolf 4 months ago

Great another Steam type entity. How many do we need and what will happen when one of them fails? I bought Far Cry on GameSpy and that is toast, and I tried Orical and that sucked. Everyone  is now using this to make sure that there games are not pirated but it pirating still happens. Lastly this is from Google and Google loves to spy. This would suck just do to that. Just image more ads based on your gaming choices. I wonder what Google will tell the NSA spies. Will you end up on some watch list because you played to many violent games or games that were anti government? Younger people be prepared for ads that tell you to join the military if you play to many hours of Call of Duty. :)

RyanLaberinto 4 months ago

Twitch is already great streaming service. I hope Google doesn't ruin the chat with google+ (even though twitch chat is so toxic). Also really hope that Google could stop the Twitch viewbots that get people 20k viewers in a matter of seconds :P . This is gonna be great because people will livestream and hopefully you can upload your stream to youtube instead of trying to find vods on twitch

KevinLozandier 4 months ago

When Youtube enabled having 60FPS+ video on their platform, I almost thought they were planning to announce a service similar to Twitch—especially when they were demonstrating gameplay footage of games like TitanFall when they announced this.

It always made sense for them to buy Twitch, nonetheless. With the new emphasis of design Google has, including the material initiative they have, they can definitely dramatically improve the user experience Twitch has now that it's theirs.

With Google's investment into WebRTC (privacy could even be easier than it has ever been before when it comes to video and audio streaming), VP9/WebM encoding, WebP, and etc., I think people will be actually very impressed how much better Twitch can be because of this.

This may bewilder some people, but

AllenJun 4 months ago

Yeah, I thought Google was going to just compete, but they bought them. Google is going to take over the world in case you didn't know. But I'd rather them than Apple.

inspector 4 months ago

I would of expected it to cost more then that :/. Well google is taking over.

Rosec14 4 months ago

Cost more than what? They didn't disclose the amount, did they?

MADSKILLZ412 4 months ago

Honestly... I'm not surprised. No comment.