Google Chrome Beta Now Faster

Recent tests have shown that the third Chrome beta version offers faster performance than previous iterations. In these tests, Google Chrome's latest version, 0.3.154.9, shows a 37% improvement in JavaScript performance over the initial beta that was released two months ago.

Using Google's JavaScript benchmark, the first beta scored 1,851; the 0.3.154.3 developer release scored 2,265; and the new 0.3.154.9 beta hit 2,546. A higher score is better. In the SunSpider test, Google’s Chrome also scores well, finishing the test in 2,546 milliseconds compared with 2,904 milliseconds for version 0.3.154.3. This new, faster score is close to Firefox 3.1 beta 1’s score of 2,250 milliseconds with the new TraceMonkey JavaScript engine enabled.

On Wednesday, Chrome program manager Mark Larson said users "will automatically get updated in the next few days." If you’re curious as to which version you have, or if a new version is available, you can click the wrench menu and select About Google Chrome.

Google Chrome version 0.3.154.9 also stops a security problem in which a site could show a different address than the one that actually supplied the information, thereby misleading users.

The new beta also offers better reliability and performance for plug-ins such as Flash and Silverlight along with touchpad scrolling support. Other changes include a spell checker that underlines misspelled words in text-input boxes and protection against unconfirmed downloads where Chrome will give these files dummy names until the user confirms that he wants to download the file.
Via:  CNET
Comments
3vi1 6 years ago

When it's not Window's only, I'll care. Until then, it's just a faster, unproven, IE... way behind FF.

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

Meh you still might not care. I have tons of addons for FF and Chrome is faster, but its just so barebones. I cant leave without my add ons.

mhenriday 6 years ago

My guess - no more than that, as I possess no private pipeline to Google - is that we shall be seeing add-ons, in one form or another, but perhaps not as toolbars, in Chrome, as well as releases compatible with various Linux distros in the not-too-distant future. Then Firefox's mettle will be seriously tested....

Henri

ice_73 6 years ago

i have to agree with mhen, its still only in beta i think a linux and possibly mac version will come later.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

I'm a noob to non ms web browsers and so far have only given opera a try. It took me about 5 seconds to come to the conclusion that opera isn't for me based on the fact that ie7 renders pages better... sorta like the difference between 0xAA/0xAF vs 4-8xAA/16xAF.

How is chrome in that regard?

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Chrome is does a good rendering job, So does FF. It is very rare now that I come across a page that has any problems with either.

Super Dave 6 years ago

Coming soon: GOOGLE OS!

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

Coming soon: GOOGLE Homes!

Fixed

Super Dave 6 years ago

Confused You got me there, Bob...please explain!

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Google will soon build are homes. I don't know. It was funny at the time. I need Google Goggles for my posts I think.

Super Dave 6 years ago

Doh, now I get it!

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]

Coming soon: GOOGLE OS!

He that would be interesting watch out Bill Gates Googles coming!

LinearCannoN 6 years ago

I assume the results are based in Milliseconds, i just ran the SunSpider test on Chromium 0.3.155.0 Build 4705, and got the following result http://tinyurl.com/sunspider-chromeresult ; 990.4ms +/- 2.4%, using the default test (the only test by the looks), this seems erronious to me given its over half that of any of the other results in your graph, did i do something wrong ?

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="LinearCannoN"]

Depends on the computer and internet connection as well as the browser.