GeForce GTX 200 Series Price Drop In Effect

It looks like the news we broke last week regarding GeForce GTX 200 series pricing has already taken effect at a couple of on-line retailers.  We just did a quick search at NewEgg and found that a handful of GeForce GTX 260 cards are priced between $299 and $339, which puts them right about on-par with the roughly $310 Radeon HD 4870.  Although, the least expensive of the bunch (MSI's $299 GeForce GTX 260) appears to have already sold out.

Many GeForce GTX 280 cards have also dropped in price too.  As you can see here, the $499 we quoted last week was right on the money, and a number of others are priced only slightly higher at about $519 to $539. And MSI's offering is priced even lower at $459 thanks to a $40 mail in rebate.
Via:  HotHardware
Comments
Crisis Causer 6 years ago

I'd still rather get a Radeon 4870 over a GTX 260, so the latter is still overpriced.  $500 for a GTX 280 isn't too bad for a top tier card now-a-days, I guess.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

Whatever the market will bear.

Nvidia has gotten away with charging well over $600 for their top tier cards because we the consumers have consistently forked over the cash... shame on us!!!

jtm55 6 years ago

Hi All

Agreed, however up to now the Redteam didn't have a viable alternative. With the release of the 4800 series Nvidia knows they can't get those type of prices anymore.

SqUiD267 6 years ago

I dont like MSI. Im waiting for soem mroe price cuts, then im buyign GTX 280, and SLi-ing with 8800 GT if thats possible.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

[quote user="SqUiD267"]SLi-ing with 8800 GT if thats possible[/quote] Nope. :(

BTW: My GFX card is MSI and it worx just fine, why don't you like MSI?

ice91785 6 years ago
recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

[quote user="ice91785"]I would say its a toss up between them and Gigabyte[/quote] Never really thought about it, but I think you're right.

Super Dave 6 years ago

[quote user="ice91785"]Agreed -- MSI makes quite stable MoBos and GFX cards; That said, I would say its a toss up between them and Gigabyte.[/quote]

Years ago MSI received a black-eye for selling motherboards with bad capacitors. I had the honors of replacing such a motherboard in my neighbor's PC!

squid267 6 years ago
ice91785 6 years ago

[quote user="SqUiD267"],aimly because of their designs on the cards. I love XFX and e-vga designs. not a good excuse...i should sell my gfx card to raise money for this card.[/quote]

The designs/layouts of the cards are all 100% the same when it comes to nVidia cards which is why you can SLI any card of the same model (regardless of manuf.) together -- the only real difference is how these manufactorer set the clocks/timings of the cards. In general XFX and E-VGA like to give you higher-clocked cards, and Gigabyte/MSI tend to get you tight-timed and lower clocked cards. So really its between brute-force speed or raw stability

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

There's another difference you didn't mention... those niffty stickers on the shrouds! ;)

ice91785 6 years ago

I DID forget to mention that! Stick out tongue

Also, the fan designs are sometimes a little bit different -- I have yet to figure out the enginuity of those single-slot fan/card designs....you know what I am talking about; they that blow hot air back into the case as opposed to venting it to the rear. Makes me mad..and confused

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

[quote user="ice91785"]I have yet to figure out the enginuity of those single-slot fan/card designs[/quote] Yeah... they're usually not very efficient. I hope their reasoning isn't just to save a few pennies on the production of each card.

Going back to the sticker issue for a sec: I'd gladly pay 50 bux more for a card with a pic of a hot chick on it instead of a robot, a logo or something else lame like that!!! lmao

jtm55 6 years ago

Hi All

I think their reasoning behind the single slot cooler is that it being a mainstream card It would appeal to more folk, especially folk with HTPC's that don't have a lot of room.

$50.00 huh. Don't let Nvidia hear that. I'm sure they're looking for a excuse to bump the prices back up. You know them dropping prices has to be eating into their profits.

SqUiD267 6 years ago

but designs i meant the sticker on it. my bad.

Der Meister 6 years ago

I only wish my 680i had a PCIE 2.0 slot... :(

Savage Animal 6 years ago

[quote user="recoveringknowitall"]

[/quote]Really? You'll see it once, when you install it. Then never again, why do you care what the image in the fan shroud is?