Future Chrome Releases Could Nix The URL Bar

If there's one thing Chrome is known for besides speed, it's the browser's minimalist interface. Unlike Firefox, which offers several search engines in their own secondary space, Chrome has a very less-is-more attitude towards the UI. The team has recently published several concept designs its currently working on, one of which could end up being the default on a future browser release.

The first image above is the classic browser mode that Chrome currently uses. Below it, on the left, is what Google is calling Compact mode. The image to the right represents "sidetab" configuration. Officially, the team is considering all four options, but the only advantage listed under classic is "Similarity to Chromium-based browsers."  That's not exactly what we'd call a winning endorsement.

If the company opts for Compact mode, it'll fuse the search and address bars into a single field that acts as both a launcher and a switcher. The side-tab mode is a more dramatic step from the norm—by orienting all tabs horizontally tabs can be more easily grouped and navigated. The downside, of course, is that people who don't use a lot of different tabs will end up losing a significant chunk of screen real estate.

The UI options are the most dramatic changes under consideration, but there's a new feature on the way that'll interest anyone who's ever had to juggle multiple Chrome profiles in the same browser. In the future, different users will be able to set up different, discrete profiles in which Person A's synched contacts, bookmarks, and other personal data is not automatically fused into Person B's profile. The company explains it thusly:

"Allowing different windows to run as different Chrome identities means that a user can have different open windows associated with different Google accounts, and correspondingly different sets of preferences, apps, bookmarks, and so on – all those elements which are bound to a specific user's identity," the company told The Register. "Having multiple profiles in the Chrome browser also makes it easy to browse with separate identities without having to log in as separate users at the operating system level."

The ability to seamlessly sync data anywhere, on any (appropriate) system could be tremendously useful to any number of professionals. We suspect this is the type of customizable option Google will highlight when it finally ships Chromium OS.
Via:  The Register
Comments
coolice 3 years ago

Umm... i've been in situations when i've had more than 40 tabs open.... I like it the way it is. I wish google leaves/gives 3 options when installing chrome for the UI... I love using this web browser! Dont ruin it for me Google!

rapid1 3 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with you coolice, I am at a weird usage point I guess. I use firefox when I am checking news, and email, and for general surfing. I use Chrome when I am doing facebook or listening to internet radio because it uses less resources while I am doing other things, and because I like the view options better for Facebook. Either way I personally like to know where I am at all times as well as if I am secure etc., which you need the address bar for.

coolice 3 years ago

dude... 2 browsers for different purposes? i salute you. I for one am a bit too lazy. the only feature of mozilla i really miss and had a tough time getting by and actually, still really Really miss in chrome, was the news tab! it was awesome in firefox, i didnt have to go to any websites to get the news... it did it for me.... but at one point, i remember, it used to take like 30 seconds for firefox to open... chrome is the bomb!! i love the tabs right at the top of the screen!, soo much better!

Joel H 3 years ago

I have Opera, Chrome, and Firefox installed (along with IE, of course). The one thing I love about Firefox is the small, independent search window next to the primary URL bar. It makes searching for specific definitions or topics much faster. I like Chrome's speed and its relatively spartan design, but I find having to type URL's in at the top rather tedious.

coolice 3 years ago

In chrome the url bar acts like the search engine. so if you type in "hothardware youtube" right into to the url bar, it will give you search results from google. better than the separate search bar in firefox imo.

inspector 3 years ago

I just don't like chrome because of how plain it looks. Now it gets even more plain. Well ima stick to Firefox for now.

AKwyn 3 years ago

I'm using Firefox and the only thing that they could add to make it perfect is if they combined the URL and the Search Bar. Other then that, I am satisified.

I'm using the latest beta version of Minefield and ever since they did the tabs on top when maximized that Crome does, I feel like Minefield/Firefox is all I'll ever need.