Ford Wants Your Teen to Hate It

How would you feel if you couldn't drive faster than 80, or couldn't raise the volume on your car radio above a certain point?  OK, maybe you wouldn't care so much, but your teenage son or daughter might.  Ford is going to introduce a new system, MyKey, on its upcoming 2010 cars, starting with the Ford Focus.  It will enable parents to program a key such that certain "safety features" are enabled.  Such as the above.

According to a Harris Interactive Survey conducted for Ford, MyKey appeals to parents (no?!).

* 75% like the speed-limiting feature
* 72% like the more insistent safety-belt reminder
* 63% like the audio limit feature

One has to wonder if you can get a discount on your auto insurance if your car has this MyKey system.  You can bet Ford will lobby insurance companies for it.

About 50% of parents who said they would consider purchasing MyKey also said they would allow their children to use the family car more often if it were equipped with the technology. Naturally teens are opposed to MyKey, with 67% saying they didn't want it. Once told that they might be able to drive more, the objections dropped to 36%.

Here are some of the features outlined in Ford's press release:

* Persistent Ford Beltminder with audio mute. Ford's Beltminder system typically provides a six-second reminder chime every minute for five minutes. With MyKey, the Beltminder chime continues at the regular interval and the audio system is muted until the safety belt is buckled.

* Earlier low-fuel warning. Rather than a warning at 50 miles to empty, MyKey provides a warning at 75 miles to empty.

* If MyKey is in the ignition, features such as Park Aid and BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross Traffic Alert cannot be deactivated.

* Limited top speed of 80 mph

* Traction control system, that limits tire spin, cannot be deactivated

* Limited audio volume to 44 percent of total volume

* A speed alert chime at 45, 55 or 65 mph

Well, we know what the answer would be if a teen was asked, but how about HH readers?  What do you think?  Good marketing ploy?  Hate it?  Like it?  Call you again if insurance companies give a discount?
Tags:  ford, wan, ants
Comments
amdcrankitup 6 years ago

That,ll will piss them off, but its a good move helps control our kids somewhat from acting crazy like all of us did! Thats funny PARENRAL CONTROL ON YOUR CAR!

imAcpufan 6 years ago

What if insurance companies decided to have these kind of features activated for everyone? What, no speed limiter? Sorry, no insurance for you, buddy. I think it's good to have safety features for teens, but it's hard to know where to draw the line. Overall, this MyKey thing could be a good idea if it made teen driving safer, I'd just be afraid that car companies could take it further at the insistence of insurance companies.

How about RFID transmitters in speed limit signs that would actually limit your top speed depending on weather and traffic conditions? I'm sure that's possible now...

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

[quote user="imAcpufan"]What if insurance companies decided to have these kind of features activated for everyone? What, no speed limiter? Sorry, no insurance for you,[/quote]

Of course that would be a  downside the insurance companies are always trying to force feed the public their policies just as they do with medical health care insurance.They are in it for them not us! I just think that for the our teens any option to save their lives is a good option.Just like in the newer cars they have options and settings for driver 1 and driver 2 the technology is advanced enough to set it like our PC,s at home where driver 1 is the adminstrator and that driver contolls the settings for the teen driver. Im sure there is a lot of ways to implement it!

3vi1 6 years ago

>> "What if insurance companies decided to have these kind of features activated for everyone?" <<

Worse yet: What if Ford decides to sell the car at two price tiers: $18k for restricted use, $25k for unrestricted.

Impossible, you say? Software companies do it all the time: develop a program and sell it to you in slightly crippled versions at different prices. Just look at Windows.

Even more 1984:  There will be a DMCA (Digital Megalomaniacal Car Act) which makes it a crime for you to disable the governer and warning indicators so that you can use the car you paid for as you please.

It's coming.  I swear.  Lobbyists will make your representitives *love* the idea, and the government will give the manufacturers federal assistance to make it happen under the "Let's Make it Harder for People to Drive Fast, Hurt the Environment, Run Over Your Babies and Be Unpatriotic Act".

It's times like this that I wish I hadn't cried "Wolf!" those 427 times.

Drago 6 years ago

It is one of those "sounds good on paper" ideas. In practice it can be really annoying. Limiting top speed might be fine for city/suburbia, but if you are in the country, or you drive on the freeway sometimes you need to reach past those speeds to pass a car effectively or to not get run over on the freeway.

The whole speed chime warning is VERY annoying. I have a GPS that did this, and till i turned it off it was lucky i didnt throw the damn thing out the window.

If you really want to stop the teen driving from being bad, increase the age to get a license to 18, and start the permit stuff at 17.

3vi1 6 years ago

It's been a long time since I drove a Ford, but I recall them already having a feature like this for many years. Except only, when you drove over 80MPH, the engines would catch fire and seize.

Der Meister 6 years ago

What ever happened to the day when parents trusted their kids???? really i think its stupid, why. becasue i could still go 80 in a 15 hahahaha

kid007 6 years ago

I heard that crap this morning in the radio (I live outside Detroit) and trust me that is just stupid everyone was bashing it!!!.

3vi1 6 years ago

>> Administrators key hahahahha WTF is this a window powered services? oh wait it is!

Then chances are good it will crash. :p

pretol 6 years ago

If you want to further alienate your kids with distrust, and shelter them even further from their lives. And then, if you want your children to see a therapist for the rest of their lives with regard to "Why you - the parent - replaced the simple conversation and the value of trust, regard for others, etc. with a dumb 80mph limiter". And if you really just want to give up being a parent, and simply give the job to Ford and their awesome marketing dept, that obviously know more about your kids than you do.

THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!

p.s. You'll also teach your kids to buckle the seatbelt behind the seat (as some sort of retarded puberty rebellion), and you'll get your car driven through ditches to show you that 80mph is plenty enough to mess up your car (also, as some sort of rebellion to your lack of desire to communicate with your kids)

Or you could talk to your kids. But no, just get the 80mph limiter, MUCH EASIER.

kid007 6 years ago

dude you don't need really to teach your kids to buckle up, any car from 00+ has this annoying beep when you drive w/out ur seatbelt. so you need a freaking key that will not allow you to turn the radio on if your don't have your seatbelt. that is for me the most childless way to make a point!

Drago 6 years ago

If the parents would teach the kids and show them by example of how to drive properly from an early age and be consistant even through their teenage years and actually teach their kids how to drive, there is no need for this limiting crap.  Every time i got in a car as a kid i always had to buckle my seatbelt, my mom and dad made sure i did, they did all the checks and what not in the car before backing up and leaving the house.  For some reason having something like this ingrained in you for 16 years, then having my dad teach me how to drive (hardest teacher ever) well i am a much better driver for it. I hated every min of it but when im on the road, im not the dum bass, all the other idiots are.

Parents now adays dont want to take responsibility for their actions cause they are of the generation of "im to good to do this" whos parents are from the generation "its not my fault."  Seriously, if parents would act like parents that were born right after WWII, there wouldnt be a need for this crap.  It sucks cause my parents are in their 60s and im in my early twenties, but hell, if i screw up i got spanked.  Tough love works, and a parent is a parent, not a friend.  Till these generations figure this out  its just going to be more and more of a downward spiral and more reason for people to hate America.

squid267 6 years ago

Audio limiting i believe is going over the line.

kid007 6 years ago

Drago you are ready to be a dad! :p

Super Dave 6 years ago

I just gave my 17 year-old son my '98 Grand Marquis (think of it as the Highway Patrol Crown Victoria with leather interior, digital dash, 16" OEM alloy wheels w/4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, Traction-Lock rear w/performance gear ratio, and the higher-horsepower motor w/dual exhausts). He is a great student with a 3.5 GPA, I trust him totally, and I am glad to give it to him. I sure do wish I could put some limits on the car, though, just like Ford is proposing! You should take a look at THIS video if you disagree! Yeah, stuff happens.

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]Yeah, stuff happens.[/quote]

Things do happen and a good loving parent will what ever they can to PROTECT their child.I raised my kids with rules and try to show them by my examples how to act in life which I didnt have kids till I was 33.By then I had grown up because I definatley am glad they didnt see my prior years when I was buck wild and as about crazy as you could get! But I gave them good examples to go by and for most part it took.But their is always someone or something out there that can unravel what you teach them and it can happen in a split second and usually you cant get it back so you do everything you can to help and protect them and if possible dont alienate yourself with them. I have 2 kids well one just turning 21 and one will be 20 next year and I still protect them anyway I can! And within reason by whatever means I can!

paulrichmond 3 years ago

I badly need one of these! My kids usually take my car off my garage, and scars the living piss out of me when they drive it on the free way. I own a ford they should have this Ford Escape parts as an option for safety and security purposes as well.

Drake_McNasty 3 years ago

I don't go over 80 as it is so capping at 80 isn't that bad at all. I live in ca, the speed control is actually a great idea for teens. When I'm cruising at 75 It's scary to see the little rich girls go flying by in their convertibles. And limiting it to 80 is still speeding on all the roads I travel. But let them listen to all of the loud music they want!

rrplay 3 years ago

Kinda nice to see  3 year old thread get a bit of a 'speed bump ' today especially when safety issues are concerned.

ever feel as if your insurance premiums are paying for the overall stupidity and lack of common sense  of the 'other guy' ?