Flix On Stix Brings Movies To USB Drives Via Rental Kiosk

Is Redbox working well for you? We suspect it is for most, as sales have been fairly high so far, and the popularity of the kiosks has risen significantly in the past year. They're popping up everywhere, and they're probably destined to be around for quite some time. But what if there were an alternative to Redbox? Would you listen?

AVT Inc. has a concept, and that concept is called Flix on Stix. It's a pretty simple concept, but it remains to be seen how it'll all pan out. In two to three months, these kiosks should start popping up from place to place, with exact locations to be seen. The kiosk works a lot like a Redbox, but it allows customers to select TV shows and games as well as movies. But there aren't any discs in here, except for an array of hard disc drives. The media stored in these boxes is digital, and you'll either need to bring along your USB stick or purchase one from the box.

USB 3.0 transfers are supported, which is great considering just how large some of these files can be. There's no talk of exactly how large files will end up being or how they expect people to deal with the wait, but the video below shows a lady playing a game of virtual poker while waiting for the file to move from the kiosk to the USB drive. Both rentals and purchases look to be available, with pricing rather competitive ($1 for a 3-day movie rental to start). Would you be interested in trying it out? Or does this all feel too complicated?

Via:  Flix On Stix
Comments
LLeCompte 3 years ago

its a cool concept, but i dunno how well it will work. I mean most people just want to watch it on tv, not their computer.

lipe123 3 years ago

Our TV has a usb port, and its 5 years old. So yea I think this is a pretty awesome idea.

How do they "expire" the files on the flash drive though?

inspector 3 years ago

Lipe, i don't think they expire.

SammyHayabuza 3 years ago

Yea, its a nice concept, but it already has fail all over it. People want to watch their movies on a big tv screen , not on their monitor.

@lipe123: Sorry, but it doesn't work  that way. you will need a computer or as I read on another article, A compatible set top box , your tv wont be able to play it on its own. There's also a preloaded video player included with the movie in the USB stick.

The waiting time could be a pain on big files, If they want the fastest transfers, they'll have to make an extra investment on a new USB 3 stick. "The company is claiming that USB 3.0 drives can take as little as 14 seconds for transferring the file over and USB 1.0 drives can take as long as 6 minutes, though they didn't specify how big he videos are or what files or format the video is encoded as"

@Inspector: "after the rental period expires the video will delete itself so no returns are necessary."

Next , comes security, the fact that you are able to have a USB connection to it, is something that ring bells in my mind , it reminds me of the story about a hacker @ The Black Hat security conference, that demonstrated how he was able to break in and have access to ATM machines using a master key purchased on the Web and a USB stick to overwrite the machine’s firmware.

What's different,is that This machine , does not need a key to open a bay for a USB port, therefore , any hacker with exceptional knowledge can hack into it and steal all those credit card numbers ,on to a USB device and make havoc out of your credit card bills

and life.

realneil 3 years ago

@Sammy:  Just the possibility of risks like you just described made me want to disregard this company.

But even without your comments, I have to say that I'm still liking my Netflix account way too much to consider other solutions. I got a movie this week that was borked, it had a crack in it and wouldn't play. I reported it online at about 11AM and the replacement came in my mailbox the very next day. That's what I call stellar service.

erd0c 3 years ago

Most TVs and TV top (I guess they're not "top" anymore) devices have USB ports these days. This is an alternative to those who don't have broadband (and like to play video poker). I don't think Netflix will get cannibalized, nor will these kiosks. I think its called monopolistic competition.

lipe123 3 years ago

@sammy: Granted our TV just plays mp3's and jpg's from a USB drive, I did a quick search a found a few models that do support it. Thing is the connectivity is hardly an issue for me, I already have a computer connected tot he TV for netflix.

I like this idea because I wont need to lag my ass off in games while the family is streaming HD over the internet.

Why would the machine save the credit card details of processed transactions? I mean sure saving the CC number maybe but the pin too?! comon that that seems like a stretch.

When last have you seen usb networking? I've been fixing computers for about 7 years now and never once seen a way to directly use usb - usb for any kind of proper networking communication.

Who still uses usb1 drives?! if they do its probably a 256mb one, no movie fits on that! A 16Gb usb 2 high speed drive only costs 40$ and you can use it for much more than movies.

So in short,

security - not an issue,

slow drives - might be an issue but a few minutes is hardly that bad

The only issue i see is that few people will have pc-tv connections, even tho almost all machines sold in the last 3 years have hdmi ports or dvi-hdmi converters.

files cant delete themselves! If that was the case viruses would spread themself and all our Os'es would already be sentient and skynet would rule the world! There has to be a bigger catch here like a propriatery format with a special player and such that wont allow expired files to play and then try to delete them.

Basically my only REAL big concern here is that this would potentially be a much easier way to pirate stuff, since its already in digital format and require no ripping or conversion.

animatortom 3 years ago

Thus begins the introduction of the Flix-Worm!

It installs on your computer and tracks downloadable all your info:P