FCC Reveals Dell Looking Glass Tablet

Thanks to documents posted over at the Federal Communications Commission's website, we now have a sneak peek at Dell's upcoming Looking Glass tablet. The documents cover the testing of the tablet to ensure the device complies with various regulations. Although we certainly can't get every detail about the tablet from the documents, they do provide a sneak peek at what users should be able to expect from Dell.

For starters, the Looking Glass is an Android-powered tablet with a 7-inch widescreen display. It will support 802.11n Wi-Fi as well as Bluetooth 2.1 wireless networking and GSM 3G mobile data services. With GSM support, this tablet is likely headed to AT&T and T-Mobile as well as international markets.

The Looking Glass tablet will also sport an Nvidia Tegra processor. Previously leaked documents have indicated the tablet will have 4GB of RAM, SDHC storage, and a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera. Initially, the Looking Glass was slated to run Android 2.1, though we're guessing an Android 2.2 upgrade will be in the works if Dell doesn't decide to ship with Android 2.2 from the start.

Via:  FCC
Comments
3vi1 3 years ago

I kind of like that form-factor: small enough to hold with one hand and could fit inside a large jacket pocket.

rapid1 3 years ago

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I just wrote a 5 paragraph response to this article, and right about time I was going to post (after error correcting) it flashed, and disappeared. This seems to happen to me a couple times a week now which is starting to get annoying, mainly because I waste time when it happens.

realneil 3 years ago

[quote user="rapid1"]AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[/quote]

Sorry that it happened to you. It got me a few times last week and I started using Word again to compose longer replies. This happened once before and they finally fixed the problem.

Maybe it will get fixed again soon?

BTW: I like the looks of it too, but who knows how many will be released this year? Maybe one of them will be a game changer, or come in at a very attractive price. I like the idea of waiting too.

noname 3 years ago

Next time install Textarea Cache extension in Firefox =)

Dave_HH 3 years ago

Hey Guys. Sorry about this. We'll try to correct it soon.

rapid1 3 years ago

Anyway this Dell unit looks decent, I am just not seeing now as a time to buy on this type of unit, as first the Ambarella, Inc., and ARM dual and Tri-core, and the Tegra2 processor classes will be hitting this type of unit all year. Also this year it seems will be the big year for competition in this type of unit so they will be popping out monthly or bi-monthly form many many oem's.

The main thing I don't get about a slate is this, I can get a 4-4.3" (or will be able to shortly) a smart phone that does all and more, and fits in my pocket. I can see these as more a 10" device than at 7", which has mainly the same hardware and OS, but cannot fit in my pocket VS. a smart phone which will, and does primarily the exact same things it will!

rapid1 3 years ago

Wow it's (textarea) compatible with FF beta 4.8 thanks again noname!