Droid X Users Consume 5X More Data

Earlier, we told you about the possibility that Verizon Wireless could soon impose data caps on its users. Now, some news about the recently launched Droid X smartphone from Motorola could help explain why these caps could be coming. You see, Jennifer Byrne, a business development executive director at Verizon Wireless, recently revealed early data usage from Droid X owners shows they use five times the amount of data than other smartphone owners.

More specifically, Byrne said, "On Droid X, we’re seeing something like 5x the data usage of any other device." Clearly, users are taking advantage of the large, 4.3-inch screen and using it to its fullest capacity to view YouTube videos, surf the Web, and download cool new apps.

It's unclear if Byrne was referring to total data including data from the optional tethering feature of the Droid X or if the carrier is solely evaluating data based on smartphone traffic alone.

Via:  paidContent
Comments
AKwyn 4 years ago

Even if I don't know the method. It's amazing how this device has become it's new iPhone, even though the people will be complaining about the end of unlimited data plans. I still find it amazing that the Droid X can stand with the big boys like the iPhone.

rapid1 4 years ago

That's; very true TaylorKarras, hardware wise the DroidX is a beast. The closest thing to it is Sprint EVO, from what I see it surpasses the iPhone4 in capabilities. That is also bad for Apple because of there recent connection issues with the unit. I wonder what will happen when Verizon drops there 4G capabilities on to the market, it is not going to be long from what I hear. I have been talking about getting a smart phone for a while, but have not done it fully yet. My personal unit is a semi-smart phone (Env), which I just decided to ride out my Verizon contract on. It is functional I guess, but I am waiting unitl at least the HTC Scorpion, or something like it or beyond it hits the market before I make my decision on what to get.

AKwyn 4 years ago

Well rapid1, the phones will need to be redesigned to support 4G when Verizon upgrade all of their systems to include 4G, and the phone designers need to design phones that can support 4G as well as 3G ahead of time because once GSM and CDMA providers start using 4G then where are the phones that support 4G (except the Evo 4G)?

Inspector 4 years ago

Unlimited data is coming to an end! With all these smart phone taking up all the data, but when it comes to unlimited... everyone just goes crazy because they have nothing to worry about and have all the data they can take.

By the way, how much is 5X the other datas?

der meister 4 years ago

I Love my Droid X i got it the day it came out. I upgraded from the BB Storm 1 so it is a nice improvement. I really dont think I use much more data than I did with my BB. Maybe a bit more if i did because of some of the weather and flying apps it had that my BB didn't

acarzt 4 years ago

Instead of capping bandwidth.... maybe they should just upgrade their network???? :-|

Just a thought :-|

infinityzen 4 years ago

Well I'm glad I'm on Sprint (rocking the Evo baby!) who has no plans to go to a capped system any time soon. I'm quite happy with my $82 a month unlimited everything but minutes (450, but I use almost none since you get unlimited mobile to mobile and nights/weekends), insurance, and ERSA. Gotta love that military discount.

acarzt 4 years ago

No plans as far as you know ;-)

lol Actually of all the big names in wireless, sprint seems to have the best prices. :-P

I've thought about going that way.

animatortom 4 years ago

That is because people who use things like this and Windows, do more Actual work than people who use Apples!

Apple is all aboot Flash not functionality:P

acarzt 4 years ago

Actually apple is highly against flash... heh

Inspector 4 years ago

^ HAHA ^ Big Smile

Apples(iphone) are for fun :D, just look at all the games on it...

Inspector 4 years ago

^ HAHA ^ Big Smile

Apples(iphone) are for fun :D, just look at all the games on it...

animatortom 4 years ago