Dell XPS 630 Desktop Gaming PC Evaluation

Dell just took the wraps off their latest XPS desktop system for gamers and enthusiasts today and this time around the new systems are targeted at being more affordable.  The new XPS 630 we’ve evaluated here at HotHardware, is Dell's new customizable machine with support for NVIDIA dual-GPU SLI graphics, the latest dual and quad-core Intel processors, and a slick chassis design that will turn heads at your next LAN party.  Click the link below and check it out...

Dell XPS 630 Desktop Gaming PC Evaluation
Via:  HotHardware
Comments
recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

If I didn't know the 1st thing about how to build my own I'd probably get a Dell.

methious 6 years ago

Bang for buck you can build 2 killer machines and still have change left over for a killer 22 or 24 inch LCD and take the better half out to lunch.

recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

I think even kowing that, some people would just as soon buy a prebuilt rig... I'm not 1 of those people though.

jtm55 6 years ago

Hi All,

It is only us the Enthusiast/Hobbyist that build our own Computers. Most Folk buy their computers be it Dell, HP or the the boutique vendors like Falcon or Voodoo.

[quote user="recoveringknowitall"]

donpm 6 years ago

I went to Dells site, and you cannot order one yet.  I wounder what is going on.  Maybe they are haveing problems with the system, and do not want to release it yet

davbow 6 years ago

Be very carefull to do your research on this machine BEFORE you purchase.  There are some major flaws/issues with the machine that have not yet been addressed by Dell.  Details can be found on Dell's forums or at http://www.my630i.com

ruger22com 6 years ago

I just purchased a XPS 630i with duel quad, 4 gigs ram, and the optional xp pro os (I hate vista).

First, I did NOT buy this system ($1,850) as a game box, though I was amazed at how stunning and smooth the game graphics were when I ran Call of Duty 4...super!

I bought this box because I wanted something FAST and with solid performance in graphic design applications.  I live and breath photoshop and working with html functions.

After the box first arrived, I ended up on-line and on  the phone will dell tech support for 8 long hours because NONE of my adobe software would run ...photoshop, illustrator..pagemaker 7..none would do anything but spin, and dell tech finally said "sorry, because of the 64 bit system, none of your adobe software will run".  Needless to say I was upset at just investing $1,800 in a fancy looking boat anchor!

The GOOD NEWS...after chatting with a few other users on the dell forum...an answer was found.  it seems if you go (cntl-alt-delete) to your task manager and then into processes, if you turn off one of the video card processes (nTuneservice.exe)..all of a sudden the install boxes pop up and you can then do a seemless, quick and easy install of photoshop, pagemaker, illustrator, etc., and the graphics programs look great and run super fast!

Spend some time and check out the dell user forums.  There is some great stuff there, like how to change the color of those LED lights from white to red or purple or whatever you want!

All in all the XPS 630i is a remarkable system, and looks cool as heck.  But be warned before you buy it...as it is BIG!  check the dimensions to your work space area.  It is so much taller then my old sony vaio desktop,  that I had to buy a larger desk hutch to house this monster.  But it is worth it!

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

I seen the 630 at Best Buy the other day for the first time it looked fantastic!! All decked out in its RED and Chrome running a E8400! Dang good looking Rig!

SqUiD267 6 years ago

dam it looks good.

kid007 6 years ago

I am actually deciding right now to buy one. with a Quadcore. Question is should i buy a watercooling system and cool the system even more? or should I just leave it like that.

voice your opinion...

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

I heart my watercooling. It is a high cost of entry though.

kid007 6 years ago

I just ordered, a nice XPS 630 Q6600, 4G 800 Mhz, Dual 3870 which is nice, according to the HH review.

and I'm already looking which watercooling system i should pick...

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Are you looking to build one yourself or buy a kit.

kid007 6 years ago

GIGABYTE GH-WIU02 3D Galaxy II Liquid Cooling, that is kit that i'm looking and is pretty good...

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

As far as kits go that one is very nice. Very upgradable as well. Get some extra clamps though. I have heard reports of them leaking.

kid007 6 years ago

the earlier one, had the problem i think is revision 1, this is totally updated revision and since is not new. i mean they had a lot of time perfecting it. and people trying it. now comes with a 120mm instead of 80mm which mean that i put it in the back and puff... extra cooling for my quadcore...

http://flickr.com/photos/animefan/2820969471/ <- check out that link this dude has dell xps 630 with a watercooling system...

confirmation...

223-5578

XPS 630, Intel Core2 processorQ6600 (2.40Ghz,1066FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache

313-6079

Warranty Support,1 Year Extended

950-3338

2 Year Limited Warranty

960-8700

Warranty Support,Initial Year

989-2478

Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year(s)

980-7181

DATASAFE ONLINE 1.1 2GB FOR DIM/INS/XPS

330-0172

S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Desktops

310-8626

You have chosen a Windows Vista Premium System

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

Looks like a very nice rig. Good to here that is the revised version. I just read a review and it seems to get good temps. If your getting the red case I use this coolent in my waterloop. It has a very nice red to it and didn't change my temps at all from plain distilled water. Cheap a dirt too.

kid007 6 years ago

thkx for d advice!

kid007 6 years ago

Dell has just shipped my XPS 630 so gentlemans i'm so happy!!!!!

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="kid007"]

Dell has just shipped my XPS 630 so gentlemans i'm so happy!!!!!

Very exciting! Let us know when you get it, and what you think.

kid007 6 years ago

no doubt about it. i'm actually will do a review that would be a sticky for other dell xps users. and o'c and how to watercooled w/out avoiding the warranty....

plus benchmarks stocks and after i reinstall windows w/out the bloatware....

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="kid007"]

plus benchmarks stocks and after i reinstall windows w/out the bloatware....

I'd really like to see that.

amdcrankitup 6 years ago

Yeah I seen one at Bestbuy in Greenville SC and it was Red and Chrome It was a great looking Rig! I would  like to have a case like that to build on!!

kid007 6 years ago

Devil ha! is arriving today so that means a whole weekend of testing Devil

bob_on_the_cob 6 years ago

[quote user="kid007"]

Devil ha! is arriving today so that means a whole weekend of testing Devil

Mine is ariving today as well! Looks like we are going to be busy.