Corsair Ultra Fast 256GB SSD Sneak Peek

We just received a package by way of Corsair that contained a brand new product we're certain many of you will be interested in checking out. Inside a non-descript, little, white box was a shiny Corsair-branded 256GB SSD (solid state drive), that the company will be releasing sometime in the not too distant future.

If you remember back to January, Corsair quietly launched a 128GB SSD. Like that drive, this new 256GB model features Samsung technology, but with a new controller and integrated cache that should offer significantly increased performance.

The drive we received is branded as a Corsair S256, but we've been told that when the drive hits store shelves the official product name will be P256--the "S" is changing to a "P". As we've already mentioned, and the product name implies, the drive features a 256GB total capacity, with SATA 3.0Gb/s connectivity, and a heavy-duty aluminum enclosure.

With the P256 disassembled, you can see the PCB and new Samsung S3C29RBB01-YK40 controller used in the drive as well as the 64MB of on-board cache memory. As you can probably guess, Samsung MLC flash memory is also used is the drive, and if you look close, you can see that the memory chips are double-stacked.

We haven't put the Corsair P256 through an entire battery of tests just yet, but thought you'd like to see some preliminary benchmark data to get your geek on. According to HD Tach, the Corsair P256 offers average read speeds just over the 200MB/s mark, with average write speeds of 169.1MB/s, .1ms random access, and a 248.2MB/s burst speed. Those are pretty impressive scores that compare very favorably with Intel's excellent X25, which falls victim to the Corsair drive in average write and burst speeds.

Expected pricing for the Corsair P256 is $749. We'll have a full evaluation of the drive posted soon, complete with all pertinent technical details, so stay tuned.

Update: Corsair sent word that drives will be shipping out to distributors this week and consumers should be able to purchase then by early next week.

Via:  HotHardware
Tags:  SSD, Corsair, Storage, drive
Comments
Super Dave 5 years ago

It is really nice to see SSD technology get faster and less expensive! But at $749 this thing is in the stratosphere, price-wise. When something like this is available for under $200 then I will seriously consider a purchase. Anyone care to speculate when that might be?

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

Yeah I have to agree. For the masses $100 might be the magic number, but I would consider it at $200.

Super Dave 5 years ago

I'm thinking it will be at least 5 years before something like this dropped below $200.

Corsair Apps 5 years ago

I would expect the prices to come down very quickly; in fact in 5 years I'd guess that we're likely to see 1TB SSD's below $200...

marco c 5 years ago

There is SOOOOO much activity in this arena at the moment, I'd expect prices to fall sooner rather than later.

Dave_HH 5 years ago

Two or three years from now, at least in the consumer space, rotational media will have gone the way of the dinosaur. :)

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="Dave_HH"]

God I hope so. There is a lot happening in this space right now. My only worry is that flash prices will rise with the new high demand.

Corsair Apps 5 years ago

I agree completely...

marco c 5 years ago

Just want to point out this post was updated with more specific availability information at the bottom of the text...

digitaldd 5 years ago

Just an FYI this little sneak peak was mentioned on yesterdays Buzz Out Loud podcast from Cnet. I caught it on my way home from work today. They linked to Engadget's coverage and not HH's though.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="digitaldd"]

But Engadget links to us! I love Buzz out loud. I am a few days behind though so I have not got to this episode. Marcos reviews are in podcasts in magazines. When is your TV debut?

digitaldd 5 years ago

Engadget does that weird linktracking thing where all the external links go through their servers. Annoys the hell out of me, especially since you never know where they are sending you. I enjoy BOL and a few other podcasts which get me through my 3 hours commuting each day.

digitaldd 5 years ago

Almost TV coverage, as they are on TiVO.  Geekbrief mentioned this in their April 9th episode.