Consumers Finally Realize That Bluetooth Headsets Are Ugly, Goofy

Finally, some confirmation that we actually aren't crazy. Well, too crazy. We always wondered where exactly the crowds were that were responsible for buying up all of these Bluetooth headsets, and while we'd see one or two self-talkers walking around the mall every so often, we never saw these things as being incredibly popular.

Now, a new research study into the matter finds that owners of Bluetooth headsets in the US are using them less often than they used to. Way less frequently, actually. The numbers show that just 26% of BT headset owners use their devices every day, which is down from 43% in 2009. Interestingly, daily usage increased somewhat in Europe to 36%, but overall daily usage was said to be down 40% since last year. Even funnier was a quote from Chris Schreiner, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics:

"The number of Bluetooth headset owners that are satisfied with the style of their device dropped 27% since 2008."

So it's taken this long for folks to realize that these things aren't stylish hanging off of your ear? The report goes on to say that in-car handsfree kits are taking the place of these headsets, but we think people are just realizing that they just look awkward in terms of style. What do you think? Which side are you on?
Via:  Business Wire
Comments
rapid1 5 years ago

Some of them actually don't look as bad as others. I have a specific problem with them on a personal level. I am completely deaf in my right ear, and 60% deaf in my left ear. So I have to wear a bi-directional hearing aid. Most Bluetooth headsets do not work to well with a hearing aid. The amount of feedback the produce is rather high when used with a hearing aid, yet when used without one the sound is not quite clear enough. It is loud enough to hear but somewhat (to a minor degree garbled) then with feedback on top of that makes it questionable.

AJayD 5 years ago

I never thought for one second that it was stylish to wear a bluetooth headset. On the contrary, whenever I have used one, I felt foolish. All the more so after taking notice of the people who look at you and think you are talking to yourself. On a purely functional level though, I think they are great. Using speakerphone is horrendous on any and all phones, leaving no real alternatives to bluetooth for hands free cordless cell usage. Not to mention the fact that (depending upon where you live) it is illegal to use a cell in a non hands-free manner while driving.

Dave_HH 5 years ago

Definitely Ajay, they're really only truly useful in-car in my opinion. Otherwise, stick the phone up to your ear or get off it, or risk looking like a dweeb. ;-)

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

I usually get the tools that wear them in the restaurant. When I go up to them and they are just sitting there and I ask if there food is ok or something and they stick there finger in my face like a am supposed to know they are on the phone.

Kiristo 5 years ago

Agreed. They look stupid. Especially when you are just wearing it all the time and not even on the phone. Why do you need hands free anywhere but the car?

catech 5 years ago

Personally I like the fact I see more businessmen in ties and suits talking to themselves like an insane bum on the street. And coincidentally they're usually having about the same conversations.

realneil 5 years ago

They look like the "BORG" has begun to assimilate them! LOL!